which comic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which comic?

I was a Beano fan, it was the only comic I would buy religiously every week, maybe with the occasional Buster (wasn't one of the characters x-ray specs??)
    I used to like Look-In too.

Comment

For me Beano, dandy, Buster, whizzer and chips and Look in every week. If look in can be called a comic. Though I did buy the odd Eagle and a comic called Oink, ahh good days

Comment

My Dad used to get Oink! for me & my brother though we were a bit young to understand all the jokes.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Beano and Dandy, then Viz later.

Comment

My sister had "Girl" which was quite colourful and glossy but my parents got "Schoolfriend" for me which was rough paper and poor colours. Later I asked to get Bunty which I preferred. My brother got Beano and Dandy and I liked to read them when I got the chance. My siblings hated to share!
            The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

for me.
              dandy beano and others i cannot remember.
              they still do them dont they.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Definitely has to be the Beano. I used to buy it for my son - but loved reading it myself

Comment

Can anybody remember a cartoon called Richard's snitch from the Beano in the 90s? It was a boy who had a talking nose with a face. I discovered it when I bought a Beano for old time's sake as a student. Thought it was hilarious and would love to see it again.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Gotta be the Beano. My cousin used to get the Dandy and we used to read each others, but I wasn't too fond of the regular strips in the Dandy. I found some of them quite irritating and I couldn't get on with the art style.

I bought a Beano for my 6 year old cousin recently and it cost me over a quid! It used to be 30p tops when I was a kid.

Comment

I used to get Topper. I think it came out on a friday.
                      My brother got the beano every week.
                      I Love the

Comment

My late Father used to by me Battle Action Force every Thursday in 1985-86, sometimes he'd buy me something else like Victor if it wasn't there or if he'd probably forget to buy it for me. Used to cost 26p....When IPC's licence to publish BAF ended, it became Battle 'with Storm Force' and I stopped liking it really. Basically Battle used to have Action Force as their 'star' stories.....When Hasbro relaunched Action Force in the UK in 87, Marvel did the comic which Dad kindly bought me every week. 32p then. When that folded, they merged reprints from the American G.I.JOE comic into the pages of Transformers again by Marvel UK and Dad bought me that every week-he'd miss a few weeks once in a while...Sometimes they'd have different back up strips like Visionaries or something else like IRON MAN 2020, or MACHINE MAN-again older Marvel reprints. I would have also liked him to buy me Marvels ACTION FORCE monthly comic, made in the smaller US style but he said 'one is enough!'....By the 90s I did start buying US comics, especially G.I.JOE, X-MEN TITLES and CAPTAIN AMERICA for a while from local comic shops but the stories were either too boring, too convoluted to follow, or never in stock, or just plan expensive...I don't really buy US comics anymore-waste of money. I liked the older comics from our youth naturally-the art was either childlike and rough or brilliant and recalling newsprint style paper and how the ink used to smudge our fingers takes me back to simpler times....I wish I were that child again awaiting in eagerness on a Thursday evening for my Father to come home and hand me my comic....

Comment

It was a little confusing that Action Force where known as GI Joe in the USA.

Different names of products is almost worth a thread to it's own.

Comment

I was rummaging through a box of old comic annuals at a car boot fair the other day and recognised some of the Dandy annuals I once had from their front covers. I was surprised how little I remembered about their contents though. I had forgotten most of the characters and even the stories didn't ring bells, yet I treasured those annuals at one stage! I'd even forgotten how they used black and red print inside.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember the Beano annuals were black / white & a 3rd colour inside until the late 1980's, though the Bash Street Kids & Dennis the Menace ones from the same time were in full colour.

Also the seemed to be produced quite a bit before they went on sale, so some newer characters wouldn't be featured until they had been in the comic more than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                                It was a little confusing that Action Force where known as GI Joe in the USA.

Different names of products is almost worth a thread to it's own.
                                I found it interesting as a child. Basically Palitoy invented Action Force. As mentioned before, when Palitoy was sold off, it became The Palitoy Company, then Kenner - Parker UK, they still retained the licence from Hasbro to make their own range of figures but then began selling those action-jointed G.I.JOE figures as Action Force, this still tied into the Battle Action Force Comic. By Summer 1986 Kenner-Parker was sold off and Palitoy ceased trading, the licence rescinded and by 1987 Hasbro UK exerted their hold onto Marvel and opted to go with them as the UK tie in to their version of Action Force toys. Basically, the UK market still identified with Action Force, whilst America and Canada had G.I.JOE since 1964-as a 12'' Doll and then by 1982 the 3 3/4 '' figures; Hasbro's Action Force toys and Marvel UK's comic turned G.I.JOE characters from predominantly American characters into a mix of European and English characterisations, I remember in the UK by 1987, A.F.'s Team Leader was Flint. His filecard bio had him down as an Englishman called David R Fairborne but in the USA, as a Joe he was Dashiell R Fairborne, born in Wichita, Kansas. Interestingly, even from the days of Palitoy/Kenner-Parkers figures ranging from Duke to Cobra Commander, the line was at least 2-3 years behind the US Hasbro range, even when Hasbro UK had Action Force, Flint for example was released as a figure in 1987 amongst others but had actually been released originally in 1986; I also remember that characters like Barbeque, a fire fighter was re-bioed in the UK as being Italian, born there too, but in the USA as a Joe he was an Italian-American, there were others like that too i.e. Airtight had been re-bioed in the UK as being West German having seen the US bio cards its interesting to see how things were changed to appeal to UK kids. It was only by 1988/89 they decided to slowly integrate the G.I.JOE U.S. branding onto the UK market as even in the E.U. they actually had G.I.JOE branding, first by renaming the team 'G.I.JOE-THE ACTION FORCE' with a story that the US had the Joes and we had A.F. and the two teams combined to fight the evil Cobra Organisation. This lasted at least 1 or 2 years and then 'THE ACTION FORCE' was dropped and the branding was simply G.I.JOE. In America, the brandind had been 'G.I.JOE - A REAL AMERICAN HERO' on all 3 3/4 branding for the toys and its due to that strapline itself one can see why we had Action Force, it sounded less American and more International-they where renamed 'INTERNATIONAL HEROES' when Hasbro UK sold them.

I digress....

Comment

Working...
                                X