Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Comic Collection

Originally posted by darren View Post
    im really impressed with those ones you showde mate.
    thats some collection 26 thousand comics that must take up a lot of space mate even thiough comics are quite thin.
    Two rooms, basically. Boxes stacked three to six high around the walls.

what other publications have you beano dandy etc and do yopu collect comics that come out now.
    Oh, yes-still buying about thirty American titles a month, plus 2000AD, Commando, Doctor Who and the Beano.
    so how long you been collecting mate
    Since I was about seven. So, about 1976.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I wasn't sure if it was that or just being stored in damp places.

I've not noticed any of my old Beanos smelling at all, but some old books my parents kept in the garage for years smelt very musty. I'll have to sniff the Giles annuals I save from going in a charity bag a few years ago.
      If comics are stored properly (bagged and boarded in a cool, dry atmosphere) they don't smell musty or deteriorate half as quickly. That only tends to happen if they're carelessly stored in a damp atmosphere.

Comment

I've read 1 or 2 books on collecting comics which suggest bagging & boarding comics as the best way to keep them. The bags ideally need to be made of mylar, & the boards acid free card.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I used to do that with my US comics - in protective bags, tapped down, and many with the board behind them...then I got sick of the whole idea and felt it was a form of hoarding so got rid as I said a few pages earlier in the thread...

Comment

Forgot to say, if anyones been in any memorabilia shop/retro store that has reams and reams of old comics you can smell that musty smell - my local one doesn't store comics away properly - even copies of Eagle from the mid 80s smell a tiny bit, and they accumulate dust...

Comment

fantastic mate.
              thats dedication.[

you must forhet what u have sometimes..

i assume u check them to see how they are.
              and do u read anyof them.

have u any superman,spiderman comics.

QUOTE=tony ingram;167977]Two rooms, basically. Boxes stacked three to six high around the walls.

Oh, yes-still buying about thirty American titles a month, plus 2000AD, Commando, Doctor Who and the Beano.Since I was about seven. So, about 1976.[/QUOTE]
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                I've read 1 or 2 books on collecting comics which suggest bagging & boarding comics as the best way to keep them. The bags ideally need to be made of mylar, & the boards acid free card.
                Mylar or the cheaper Mylites do the same job. There's a whole industry out there dedicated to the preservation of comics, you can buy bags, boxes and backing boards tailored for everything from Golden Age American titles to 2000AD.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  fantastic mate.
                  thats dedication.[

you must forhet what u have sometimes..
                  No, they're all catalogued on an Excel spreadsheet.
                  i assume u check them to see how they are.
                  and do u read anyof them.
                  Yes, regularly. Though there are some I haven't opened in years.

have u any superman,spiderman comics.
                  Several hundred of each, I expect. At least. I got into comics originally when my Nan used them to teach me to read. Spider-Man Comics Weekly was one of my first titles. I still have most of them, and that ran for 666 issues. These are some more of my favourites, though.

Comment

Comment

top stuff tony.
                      thanks for showing me the superman ones.
                      i heard a while bk the first issue superman comic i think went for 30 grand.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The ones he has shown pics of, some, if in perfect condition would be worth thousands of Pounds....

Comment

Errrrrrr .... viz...

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                            Errrrrrr .... viz...
                            Lol, top marks FLYING SAUCER - we needed a bit of humour in the thread... Speaking of Viz, I did like The Big Sausage Sandwich annual they did, the fake adverts were brilliant - they had a 'cleft cleaner' for 'itchy bums' and the diagrams of 'before/after' were so funny...then there was a super dooper toy called 'STRING' which was the follow up to 'BRICK'...as endorsed by Steve Davies...ahh the memories!

Comment

One of my all-time favourite comic titles, and still going strong today...

Comment

Wish it was still 9p - the prices do get ridiculous thesedays for a brand new comic or magazine in shops.

Comment

Working...
                                X