What books did you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What books did you read?

Enid Blyton. Famous five series. And the ones mentioned in above post They were Really good Stories.

Black Beauty.

And I always bought a comic called Misty all ghost stories. did anyone else Read it?

Jue x
    Last edited by savanah; 16-03-2007, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by m-tina View Post
      I still have all my copies of mallorey towers and the st clairs. I loved Enid Blyton, magic far away tree, the wishing chair, and the Mystery Of ones.
      I spent a few years after my eldests birth trying to find one of my favourite Enid Blyton stories from childhood... The Secret Island. Imagine my delight when I found a copy at a second hand bookstall on holiday a couple of years ago. Judging by the frequency I find it in the bathroom... looks like Ratbag enjoys it too.
      sigpic
      Mrs Oggy
      ~~~*~~~*~~~
      Count your friends amongst the stars....
      And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

I've still got my earliest book purchase (that I can remember, that is). It came from my primary school book club thingy called Chip Club (anyone else have that?) and was The Flight of the Doves which was a film at the time with Jack Wilde, I think.

I've recently been reliving some of my 'school' book reads in the form of Logan's Run (much better than the film and much, much better than the tv series) and finally getting through Eric Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods

We used to (at primary/junior school in the early 70s) have a rack of books outside the headmaster's office. They were A4 (maybe a bit bigger) sized reference books on a variety of subjects (I can remember a dinosaurs one and maybe a fossils one). Fairly thin, paperbacks with lots of pictures. You could buy them (although for how much I forget - 15p sticks in my mind from somewhere) but I never did. They all came under the same series header but I'm buggered if I can remember it. Maybe something like Look and Learn?

Anyone got any ideas?

Comment

"the Chip book club", now that brings back some memories from junior school , i used to get the chip club diary every year!

my fave books used to be the fighting fantasy books by steve jackson & ian livingstone, the first one i bought was deathtrap dungeon followed by forest of doom & city of thieves. the only one i didn't like in the series was the space theme one (starship traveller?)

Comment

Not much of a reader as a kid,I didn't stop buying comics till early 90's!
            but.on thread,I remember collecting the Alfred Hitchcock books,as he was and still is one of my heroes. I'm also getting Famous Five and Hardy Boy vibes,but I think (hope) that was my sister
            The 70's to me now is a half remember mush of the great and the awful.
            I'd love to bring back prime Bowie (Hunky Dory,Diamond Dogs,etc), but balk at Gary Glitter,T-Rex (although a few good songs) and rubbish like Flintlock,Our Kid and a million and one bandwagon jumpers,
            looking back..nothing has really changed

Comment

Flintlock rubbish?!! Surely that's heresy? Especially to a Tomorrow People fan.
              Last edited by Wil; 17-03-2007, 15:11.

Comment

Comment

i always read my big sisters judy blume books,like "are you there god its me margaret" and "otherwise known as sheila the great"
                  blumes books were mainly about teenage girls and the antics they got upto.i remember reading them and dreading growing up!!!!!!!!
                  my sister still has no knowledge i read those books, big age gap between us so when she was out on a saturday night i would seize the chance!!!!!
                  anybody else come across judy blume books???

Comment

I remember starting off on the Ladybirds, things like Janet and John, then Rumpelstiltskin.
                    There was also the books we read at school that featured pirates, each had a different colour as a name.
                    My absolute favourites were Enid Blyton's Famous Five, i had the full set and without fail got the annual each Christmas from my Gran Infact i could probably still list the entire series in order.
                    Also liked the Narnia books, and also a book called The Silver Sword about a Polish boy in the 2nd world war.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Not much of a reader here either but I do remember buying a boxset of 3 books when at Primary School of the first 3 books in the Fighting Fantasy series by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston.

I then collected them up to issue 10 then stopped. I know they've re-released them but I managed to pick up some of the originals on eBay the other year, really must get round to "reading" them again!

Comment

I remember reading Z. For Zachariah at school. A young girl (Ann) living on her own in the only non-radioactive valley left in America after a nuclear war. Her family have gone off to search for other survivors. Then a scientist in a radiation suit turns up. At first she's happy to have company but he turns out to be a psycho so she steals his suit and leaves the valley. Thought it was great stuff.

Comment

enid blyton.My favourites were the enchanted forest and magic faraway tree.Read them again a couple of years ago

Comment

Originally posted by SG1973 View Post
                            I remember reading Z. For Zachariah at school.
                            I remember watching the TV version of that at school.

Our teacher read us this book when at junior school (I think):

Last edited by Mulletino; 28-05-2007, 05:52.

Comment

Apart from the obvious Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and CS Lewis

Gobbolino The Witch's Cat - Ursula Moray Williams
                              The King Of The Copper Mountains - Paul Biegel
                              The TV Kid - Betsy Byers
                              The Vardo books

and Dumpling - a story about a girl called Annabelle who buys a pony but wants the fattest most clumsy one there....Dumpling is ridiculed but had 2 bumps on each side of her head which are her "wings" - and goes on to win. It was my Mums when she was a child but I loved it. Can't remember the author though, it's in the attic somewhere

Comment

On a trip out today I saw a Kestral, which made me remember us reading the book Kes at school, all the lad's could not wait to get to the page, with swearing on it,The day finally came and the teacher made us skip the page.
                                Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X