Shirts with buttons on collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shirts with buttons on collars

I had several white shirts with buttons on the collars that I wore for work with a tie back in the 90s. If I wore one with out a tie I didn't usually fasten the buttons but with a tie then always the collar buttons would be fastened.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      I had several white shirts with buttons on the collars that I wore for work with a tie back in the 90s. If I wore one with out a tie I didn't usually fasten the buttons but with a tie then always the collar buttons would be fastened.
      How cool Staffslad - I ahd not thought of Shirts with Buttons as so!

I guess it could go either way in how you mention as we always did the Buttons on the Collars Up - Ties or not! In a way it was like a competition or similar like (round my area) you either wore Farrar's or Cords!

80sChav

Comment

scrunchy - do you mean cheese cloth ?
        Button down collars will always be around, fashion is cyclical anyhow.
        Summer seemed to be popular for button downs with short sleeves...maybe cos of wind - no jacket !... (What's a Tie I hear the youngsters ask ;-) )

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
          scrunchy - do you mean cheese cloth ?
          Button down collars will always be around, fashion is cyclical anyhow.
          Summer seemed to be popular for button downs with short sleeves...maybe cos of wind - no jacket !... (What's a Tie I hear the youngsters ask ;-) )
          Indeed about a Tie - Discoman!!

In the Summer though regardless of Buttons on Collars - I recall about 1995 the Grease look with a Shirt and T-Shirt underneath but no Buttons fastened became an amazing trend (for going out/or and wherever)!

80sChav

Comment

80sChav, I can't explain why I never fastened the collar buttons when I wasn't wearing a tie, I just felt uncomfortable if they were fastened .

I thought I had at least one of my old shirts with collar buttons still in my wardrobe, but a quick look showed it wasn't there, so possibly residing in a box in our attic.

Talking of cheesecloth, I remember my cousin had several cheesecloth shirts or perhaps I should say blouses as she was a girl, and I remember it particularly as it was the long, hot summer of 1976 and she stayed with us for a few weeks. Cheesecloth was popular in '76 .

Comment

80sChav, I can't explain why I never fastened the collar buttons when I wasn't wearing a tie, I just felt uncomfortable if they were fastened .

I thought I had at least one of my old shirts with collar buttons still in my wardrobe, but a quick look showed it wasn't there, so possibly residing in a box in our attic.

Talking of cheesecloth, I remember my cousin had several cheesecloth shirts or perhaps I should say blouses as she was a girl, and I remember it particularly as it was the long, hot summer of 1976 and she stayed with us for a few weeks. Cheesecloth was popular in '76 .
              I know how you mean Staffslad - it depended on personal taste in my area and the area you lived in, if they had this style I recall well too. As well in my area it depended on if friends had this style and in-particular if you went on a night-out too. Many a factor contributed indeed to if the buttoned the buttons on the collar with or without a tie, no doubts!

80sChav

Comment

Ive got shirts with buttons on the collars and never do them up now.

I used to but it made me feel like i could not breathe and it just felt to uncomfortable.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Darren, are those shirts recent buys? I can't remember seeing any shirts with collar buttons for a while but would like to buy one if they are still made. If not, I will have to search our attic, where one or two might be lurking.

Comment

Some where recent buys but are old shirts and some are newer shirts.

Youd find some in charity shops.
                    Youd find shirts like those perhaps in old retro clothing shops.

darren, are those shirts recent buys? I can't remember seeing any shirts with collar buttons for a while but would like to buy one if they are still made. If not, i will have to search our attic, where one or two might be lurking.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                    X