Odd fluorescent socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Odd fluorescent socks

I used to wear these socks even in odd pairs at the rock and roll clubs that were common in the early to late 80's.Used to go well with the brightly coloured jackets.Nothing new in them even by the 80's standards of dress.Something else dragged from the past and recycled.Day glow lunimous or brightly coloured items were common place in the 60's expecially by the mid 60's.The hippy movement used bright colours like no other and it's reflected in their fashion right down to luminous coloured badges.I have a feeling that stripey brightly coloured socks were also seen in the swinging mod scene of the 60's a little earlier.Not exactly sure how long they have been around but they were certainly old hat by 1983.The 80's comes over now as a time when clothes were again fun,rather like the 60's so it does not surprise me that they became popular again in the 80's.

Comment

I've got the feeling they were first popular with Teddyboys, even further back.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had some of these. I had several garments with the dayglo stuff on. The most tasteful one was a black shellsuit with pink and yellow trim. Tasty.

Comment

used to have several snazzy pairs of fluorescent socks yellow orange green and even pink ones also had a hideous pair that was orange and had purple with lime green stripes used to wear them on saturday nights at the klub foot in hammersmith

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
            I used to have green ones, thought they were slightly earlier 83/84, although that could just be my mind :P
            i remember the boys at school wearing fluorescent yellow, green and pink ones ........we're talking 78/79

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I remember my cousin wearing one orange sock & one green sock together in the summer of 1985.

They also had a comeback in the late 1980s when Bermuda shorts were in fashion. I had a bright yellow pair then.
              Yep I had a pink pair around 1989, but didn't realise they had been around several times before then! By then then the fashion for odd ones had gone though.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
              X