Russian Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Cake

I've been thinking about a cake that we used to get from our local bakery in years gone by. We called it Russian cake and I'd like to know if it existed beyond that bakery! If it did I've no doubt it probably had a different name.

It was rectangular in shape, made from a rather moist sponge that I think had various layers in it and on the top it had brown icing with 'pulled' stripes like you sometimes get on top of a Bakewell tart. The sponge was mostly brown and pink and the cake had a very distinctive taste. Difficult to describe but a bit like black forest gateau - a strong cherry-like taste. I really loved it and would love to nibble on a slice again.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Russian Cake

Napoleon Cake seems to fit the bill? has French and Russian versions

http://alisasperspectives.blogspot.c...r-stomach.html
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Not identical but I suspect the version I had was an local, evolutionary product of Napoleon cake origins!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember Russian cake. Love it. It's still available in our local bakers.
        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I think it is called Russian Slab cake, we have them at our local Spar shop. It is really tasty and really quite heavy.

Comment

Better get myself down to a Spar! Really good to know it's still around. I forgot to mention its heavyness in my description...all adds to its lovelyness
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I'm sure its made of cake leftovers! Thats why its all different colours. I think 'Cooplands' where I live call it Russian Slab Cake too. I don't recall the slab bit when my mam used to buy it from Harrisons Bakers in Spennymoor!
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Recently found some in a small bakery close to a friend's house. Just as good as it always was although this one was very moist and had collapsed in a soggy mess by the time I got it home. Ate it with a teaspoon!
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Sounds yum...I wish they sold it in the midlands. I'm from Coventry. Our local speciality is called Coventry Godcake. Its basically a big puff pastry turnover with a mixture of sultanas, raisins, cinnamon and honey. Dates from the middle ages when we used to put on the mystery plays.

Comment

Working...
                  X