X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food you were brought up on.

what other memories...

Mum's home made egg and tomato flan was fantastic

Sliced boiled egg on crackers on a sunday night (with the chart rundown in the background)

Kedgeree

Chicken and Rice (Dads secret recipe, been trying to get him to make it for me for years now)

Peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches

Comment

Originally posted by jaycdam View Post
      Hi Everyone,
      Just joined this fantastic site......does anyone remember getting drunk on Thunderbird Red or Blue as a young teenager.
      Yup, there were only 2 off-licences that we could get away with buying booze from when under-age, it Thunderbird red was the choice. Of course, we'd also try and buy the strongest beer we could, Tennant's Syrup (Super) or Special Brew were faves, although they also did one called "Crucial Brew" which was stronger.

Back to food - There are a few standout things:

Once, my mum was making a birthday cake and it went wrong, came out like a big biscuit, was the best thing i've ever tasted! She never could repeat it though.
      My grandparents lived in Leighton and the butcher near them did the best sausages. I remember going round there once and for tea to find on the table a big plate of said sausages, a plate of buttered bread all ready to make yummy sausage sandwiches. There was also a massive bowl of tinned strawberries and cream for afters (my missus still gives me stick for calling "dessert" afters).

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
        Does anyone else eat..Eggy Bread?
        I still make this for the family but we've always known it as 'Gypsy Toast'

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
        I'd never heard of it before, until I watched V for Vendetta at the weekend and now it see/hear it here, wierd!!
        Heh, I was watching V last night and my husband suddenly got quite excited at the site of him making that dish (fried bread with an egg in the centre of the slice) he said his dad used to make it for him years ago calling it a 'One Eyed Egyptian Sandwich', I think its called 'Eggs in the Basket' Stateside and it appears in the Moonstruck movie with Cher too, now of course it'll be my turn to make it

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
        I Does anyone remember having bread and dripping?
        *shudder* my mum in law still eats the stuff, I can never bring myself to try it, watching is bad enough :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
          Once, my mum was making a birthday cake and it went wrong, came out like a big biscuit, was the best thing i've ever tasted! She never could repeat it though.
          Awwww, I share your pain! My mum was baking a cake once and my dad looked in the oven to see what was cooking (and probably just to annoy her) and although it didn't go pancake flat it came out incredibly dense but it was her best cake ever - and she baked a lot

Many attempts at creating the infamous 'Heavy Cake' were attempted and we kids were evn encouraged to open and shut the oven door vigorously a few times during baking but she never captured that success again

Staying on topic:

Dinner at my Nan's: (always at lunchtime)

Soup, always tinned, usually Heinz Tomato
          Rissoles / sausage cakes or a plate pie made from tinned stewing steak or corned beef
          A 'top crust only' pie, usually tinned plums or mandarin oranges & Ideal milk (curdling good fun)

Tea at my Nan's
          Ye Olde Oak ham sandwiches
          Toasted teacakes and jam / scones
          Dish of tomatoes and lettuce (home grown)
          A tin of shrimps or salmon if it was a Sunday
          Homemade buns / little cakes - she always used granulated sugar so they were always crunchy on top

Comment

Originally posted by Rune View Post
            little cakes - she always used granulated sugar so they were always crunchy on top
            I know a place where you can buy little cakes which are crunchy on top LOL
            "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Originally posted by stevef View Post
              I know a place where you can buy little cakes which are crunchy on top LOL
              And at a discounted price too I hope *grin*

Comment

What about eggs with double yolks? Me and my sis used to fight over who got a double yolker. Is it just me but I haven't seen one in ages.
                You know you're getting old when Dr. Who starts looking young!

Comment

Originally posted by sarcymarky View Post
                  What about eggs with double yolks? Me and my sis used to fight over who got a double yolker. Is it just me but I haven't seen one in ages.
                  About six months ago i bought a box of 6 eggs - and EVERY one had a double yolk! Methinks they were from hens kept on an old nuclear site LOL

Comment

nearly always had cabbage on the plate as a kid...........ohhh yuck!! the worst food ever invented..........promised myself the day i left home..............never, ever will i buy a god damn cabbage!!

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                      nearly always had cabbage on the plate as a kid...........ohhh yuck!! the worst food ever invented..........promised myself the day i left home..............never, ever will i buy a god damn cabbage!!
                      ill send u a cabbage for chrimbo.

is it the smell and the taste.

when i was a kid i got brussell sprouts and carrotts a lot.
                      really anything green peas,cabbage also cauliflower.

scrambled eggs is another i had a lot.
                      I still eat these now.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My Mum used to give me a half boiled egg scooped out and put onto a plate at 10 am every day as a small baby til I was about 4 or 6 to build up strong bones...

Beef Burger and Chips - in the days when they did have actual beef in them...lovely.

Worst food we'd get was Cod in Parsley Sauce (the type that you could boil in a bag) with tinned green beans and carrots - yuck. Hated it...so bland.

I used to love Mums Sri Lankan Curry with mutton or chicken and macaroni...yum.

Comment

My Mum and Dad would also make really nice Spanish Omelettes with grated potatoes and onion. Later on as I grew up they'd do them with chopped smoked bacon and chillis - YUM!

Comment

Pan haggerty. My families’ own version which is nothing like the traditional one Ade Edmondson made recently on his travels to Northumberland! Infact we didn’t even call it pan haggerty. It seems my family warped the name as much as the recipe over the generations. To me it will always be panackledy. Lovely with a dollop of brown sauce on top.

And home made rice pudding or macaroni mmmm! but without jam. Jam spoils it.

Perhaps we could have a DYR old fashioned recipes thread. I'd quite enjoy trying to cook some other peoples old family favourites.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Pan haggerty. My families’ own version which is nothing like the traditional one Ade Edmondson made recently on his travels to Northumberland! Infact we didn’t even call it pan haggerty. It seems my family warped the name as much as the recipe over the generations. To me it will always be panackledy. Lovely with a dollop of brown sauce on top.

And home made rice pudding or macaroni mmmm! but without jam. Jam spoils it.

Perhaps we could have a DYR old fashioned recipes thread. I'd quite enjoy trying to cook some other peoples old family favourites.
                              home made rice pudding i just loved that.
                              Had it a few times a week.

I alsi had loads of the ambrosia one and still do sometimes with jam.

But homemade is still better.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Being born and growing up in the East End of London it was "Pie and mash" for me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_and_mash

Comment

Working...
                                X