Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wendys burger restaurants in the uk

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    I remember when I went backpacking in the states we often got breakfast vouchers from the youth hostels for Dunkin Donuts. After a couple of mornings I couldn't face any more. My other food memories from that trip include not being able to get yogurt or proper tea, and having to live on horrible white bread, plastic cheese and those huge apples that don't taste of anything. This was in 1998. I went back in 2007 and things were much better - could even get Tetley tea God I'm such a Brit.
    Dunkin Donuts had long ago disappeared from my neck of the woods. Now they're mainly on the East Coast of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
      i suddenly had a mad flash back of a burger franchise in the uk that disappeared over night
      wendys the shops were i seemed to remember bright yellow (there was one in or around leicester square and im sure i remember one in lewisham high street S.E london) rather then the normal open long counter i seem to recall they had individual bank /post office type counters with microphones and you could say exactly how you wanted your burger cooked rare, medium or well done and exactly what you wanted on it pickles onions relish etc and the order it was put on what

im a veggie now (aint eat meat for 18 years ) but it allways made me think Britain couldnt get its head around the idea of a fast food take away with a Michelin star approach but it sure beat mcD`s over cooked and in a heated cabinet for an hour approach
      Yes I remember Wendy's as a kid living in Lewisham they made Square burgers and had an all You can eat salad bar..

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
        Dunkin Donuts were another spectacular failure in the late 90's.

And as far as I can see, my prediction of Krispy Kreme failing here is coming true.
        Dunkin Donuts is mainly on the East Coast of the US because I remember a few Dunkin Donuts in my area in the early '80s but they all disappeared shortly after. Though I've heard that they might be coming back. And Krispy Kreme was mostly in the Southeastern US for the longest time, It was only in recent years that they opened some shops on the West Coast.

Comment

There's a big Krispy Kreme inside Selfridge's in Birmingham where you can see the doughnuts being made. It's always very busy. Asda used to bake the best doughnuts years ago when they had a Hobart mixer on a table and a frying line where a lady would make the doughnuts fresh and then inject the filling. Now they just buy them in frozen and simply heat them up. They don't taste the same.

Comment

I used to love the adverts for Wendys.

Comment

The classic Wendy's advert,
              (and no, it wasn't banned)

Comment

Wedys had an outlet in South Mimms Services on the M25/A1 junction. Rumour has it that the fire that destroyed the services building started in one of Wendys extractor fan units. Don't know if that is linked with the Wendys demise?

Comment

Working...
                X