Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: pier Amusements

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I think that VW Beetle driving game was called Speed Bug. I remember the "crash" sound effect.

The Arcade in Wells New The Sea had one for years.
    There was something similar in London, where there is a large amusement arcade called Trocedero. They had a Mazda MX5 that had the front engine compartment/bonnet cut off, replaced by a plasma screen. (I think it was actually a real car before they converted it into an arcade machine). It was a pound a go and you had the choice of driving it auto or manual. There were two seats so you could have a passenger.
    Last edited by Twocky61; 11-12-2014, 11:20. Reason: Additional Text
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I think that VW Beetle driving game was called Speed Bug. I remember the "crash" sound effect.

The Arcade in Wells New The Sea had one for years.
      I think I have found it - Called Super Bug - can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBPe14I13Lk

I seem to remember driving faster and crashing a lot more!

Comment

and here it is how I remember it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N61Lacr9IGs

Comment

Yes that's how I remember it from those 2 clips.

I did wonder how it used limited colour, which the 2nd clip reveals.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The old penny bandits were great fun. As others have said, there was something very satisfying and addictive about pulling that arm. I also liked the horse-racing and racing car betting games. If I remember correctly, there were 'odds' when betting on them, in that each horse or car had a different probability of winning, so one less probable paid out more if it won, whereas one more probable paid out less.

Comment

I remember once, on Hampstead Heath for their Bank Holiday fair, winning a single cigratte from a one-armed bandit!
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I don't remember seeing any one-armed bandits that gave out anything other than cash or very occasionally tokens. Makes you wonder what other items some may have paid out to winning customers.

Comment

Still on pier amusements, does anyone remember those animated dioramas that used to be found in arcades well into the 80s? There was one of a haunted house. The scene was a bedroom, complete with sleeping occupant and a burglar attempting to break in to a safe. Deposit your penny and the scene would animate. The safe opened and something came out, the sleeper sat up but his head remained on the pillow, the bedroom door opened and there was a ghost or monster behind it, plus several other effects I am hazy about. There was also a similar scene set on a road with a night watchman being subjected to various frights, only this one I don't remember nearly as well.

There were also two rather grim ones showing execution scenes. One was a hanging and the other the electric chair. Deposit your coin and the condemned's eyes would bulge, his hair stand on end, his mouth open in a silent scream, and there would be a sound effect of a crackling electric current and possibly a light to simulate an electric arc as he is executed.

These machines were very old even in the 70s and 80s and I wouldn't be surprised if they dated from the 30s or 40s. You would often find one in a dusty and obscure corner of the arcade, well away from the glitzy video games and other more up-to-date machines.

Comment

I remember them. I found a few of them on Youtube. They were called "working models", it seems.

Here's the hanging.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMxx0H8ahcs

One of several hannted houses
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvveBnTNFH4

And this, I'd guess, is what you remember as a night watchman
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2cUkxt-yo

Comment

Thanks very much for the links. That brought back memories of seeing them in the 70s and 80s. Wow, according to that vid of the hanging it is from the 20s, so that would have made the machine around 60 years old when I last saw it circa 1985 or so.
                      As well as these working models I remember several dancing clowns. Put your penny in and a puppet clown on strings would dance to tinny music--the movements being similar to how the puppets moved in the old Andy Pandy programmes. Those clowns were so creepy with their painted, staring eyes.

Comment

Scarborough (North Yorks) still has a lot of amusement arcades on the sea front. While many are dominated by the more expensive £1 a go "puggies" or video games, there are some smaller arcades (particularly at the far end of the South Bay) which have numerous 2p "Waterfall" machines, plus the aforementioned Horse Racing betting game - most of these have been upgraded to 10p a play.

The game I used to enjoy most in arcades as a child was one which I haven't seen for years. It was like a shooting range, where for 20p you would get something like ten shots of an air rifle (which did not use any ammunition / pellets, it was merely an invisible beam or something) and if you hit a target, something would happen - often these were "Wild West" or "Hillbilly" themed. I remember many of them squirting water back at you if you successfully shot the target, sometimes it would be something like a character would start playing a banjo, or a door would fly open and some exhibit would appear sat on a toilet reading a newspaper! I certainly remember them in arcades at Scarborough, Filey, Blackpool and in places like Flamingoland up until the early 1990's.
                        Last edited by Big Tim; 17-08-2016, 15:42.

Comment

There was an arcade in Wells Next The Sea that had one of those shooting galleries until about 1990.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
                            Scarborough (North Yorks) still has a lot of amusement arcades on the sea front. While many are dominated by the more expensive £1 a go "puggies" or video games, there are some smaller arcades (particularly at the far end of the South Bay) which have numerous 2p "Waterfall" machines, plus the aforementioned Horse Racing betting game - most of these have been upgraded to 10p a play.

The game I used to enjoy most in arcades as a child was one which I haven't seen for years. It was like a shooting range, where for 20p you would get something like ten shots of an air rifle (which did not use any ammunition / pellets, it was merely an invisible beam or something) and if you hit a target, something would happen - often these were "Wild West" or "Hillbilly" themed. I remember many of them squirting water back at you if you successfully shot the target, sometimes it would be something like a character would start playing a banjo, or a door would fly open and some exhibit would appear sat on a toilet reading a newspaper! I certainly remember them in arcades at Scarborough, Filey, Blackpool and in places like Flamingoland up until the early 1990's.
                            Same at Southend-on-sea, although one of the arcades there still has one of those Hillbilly shooting things. It's indoors though so doesn't spray water like they used to. You'd know which rifles got wet from which target and deliberately soak other players. An arcade here in Australia (Gold Coast) still has one too.

Comment

Its about having fun getting rid of 2ps in the arcades

Comment

The wild west/hillbilly shooting galleries I can remember were in North Wales resorts such as Rhyl. I think I first saw one in about 1987 or so. Lots of people were playing on it but by the last time circa 1992 I didn't see anyone have a go. The one I recall the best was indoors and I think it did spray water but I suppose it must have been well away from the other machines.

Comment

Working...
                                X