British coastal towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British coastal towns

We probably not realise what wonderful towns we have on the British coast, especially if we go abroad for our holidays. Never mind about the Canaries, you don't need a passport to get to Bridlington or Brighton, even if the seaside postcard stereotype of Punch and Judy shows, raining all day (as if we knew where to get water because of the sea), and "kiss-me-quick" hats all coming to mind. (Apologies to anyone outside Great Britain reading this). I would probably be looking inside the local WHSmith for a local newspaper and a postcard or two instead.

Around 1984, my Infant school offered my year a daytrip to Skegness (aka Nottingham-by-the-Sea) by train which took about two hours to get there - it was probably the first time I had even visited a coastal town. My late mother always used to prefer east coast towns against west coast ones such as Blackpool - probably because she had a bad experience there once, but not in the Alan Bradley vein thank goodness! I mentioned the Blackpool Pontins before - a huge mistake staying there for reasons that I cannot go into.

Mablethorpe was just like Skegness only smaller - a Sunday coach ride during the school holidays circa 1990, starting off on the A52 and then onto the A46 towards Newark and Lincoln (although ironically the A52 eventually arrives in Mablethorpe itself of one follows it from Nottingham). A bit of the A158 east of Lincoln and we were on our way, although we stopped at a farm place near Rand (where the youngsters thought we were already there). Taking notice of road signs and places called Wragby, Market Rasen, Ludford, Horncastle and Legbourne, and getting in Mablethorpe at around 12.30 pm. Someone had written "Wacaday" in the sand there, presumably for Timmy Mallet's benefit in order for a selfie to be sent to the TV-am show. And there was always a couple who disappeared into a pub - never to be seen again.

I suppose that seaports such as Liverpool, Southampton and Plymouth are marginal in that respect - they are cities which have urban areas along to the nearest coast - and the white cliffs of Dover where the edge of the land is higher than sea level.

These days, I stay for a few days in a Premier Inn in the relevant town and visit the local theatre in time for my birthday. I love Cornwall and areas like Penzance and Land's End. As I said before, I am looking at Bournemouth this year because of the annual Air Festival and the theatre offering. I was considering Bridlington last year (Cannon and Ball at the Bridlington Spa ahoy - and I nearly did book tickets as well), until Berkshire took my fancy. I was so close to staying in Southend a few years back, but alas, my favourite hotel chain's rooms were all occupied by the time I tried to book.

Do you think that good old British coastal towns are better than their counterparts on the continent? After all, you never hear British hotels say "don't drink the water"...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

British coastal towns

I’m thinking we were maybe separated at birth !!

I had / have relatives in Cornwall so our school holidays where spent in St Ives and surrounding areas .... day / weekend trips were usually spent in Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re: British coastal towns

I love the east coast, used to go to scarborough every august bank holiday between 1990-2002 with my four brothers and my dad, when my dad died it was never quite the same and we stopped going.Great memories of days spent trawling the pubs of scarborough also train trips up the coast to whitby, Filey and Bridlington. Best fish and chips in the country to be found in scarborough
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        I’m thinking we were maybe separated at birth !!

I had / have relatives in Cornwall so our school holidays where spent in St Ives and surrounding areas .... day / weekend trips were usually spent in Scarborough, Whitby and Bridlington.
        I enjoyed myself so much during my 2010 visit to Cornwall that I actually put my name down for housing there, despite not knowing anyone there, not having a local connection and it being 325 miles from where I live!

Haven't been to the coast for five years when I stayed in Eastbourne for my birthday - I will try and better myself this year however!
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Our holidays when I was growing up were mainly spent on the Welsh coast. Rhyl, Llandudno, Aberystwyth, Clarach Bay, Colwyn Bay, Towyn and Prestatyn. I think we went to Skegness and the Isle of Wight one time each. I have very fond memories of those Welsh towns. I remember sunny days, donkey rides on the beach, exploring rockpools, penny bandits, sending postcards to relatives. Most holidays were spent in static caravans on holiday parks.

Comment

newcastle county down a place where i spent many happy times

a prety coastal town with the mountains in the background.

and a place i still go.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Have those pictures every been officially released as postcards, I wonder?
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

WHEN IM THERE THEY SELL TONS OF POSTCARDS WITH IMAGES SUCH AS THOSE AND MANY OTHER SIMILAR IMAGES.

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Have those pictures every been officially released as postcards, I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  newcastle county down a place where i spent many happy times

a prety coastal town with the mountains in the background.

and a place i still go.

Darren, the Irish Newcastle looks so qauint and amazing and so different to any Coastal town we have this side of the Water mate - it almost looks like a little Switzerland/or Austria from how I am visualizing this

This is a great thread you have created by the way George - I'd like to think I have been to a fair whack of the English Coastal Towns as I have sai in the "Holidays Thread", and i think Blackpool and Skeggy-Vegas (Skegness) are my faves!! The places I have not been - are like swaives of Devon and the East Down from Gt Yarmouth and Kent etc. You bit about Southend strikes a chord - as that is one place I have never been there and at one point would have termed it like Liverpool and Plymouth etc as it was so "London".

North and South Shields are two places on my list that are struggling to happen but i hope they. Re; Brid fair play to you as the "New" Spa is ace but as born and bread Yorkshireman I can say Brid really, really is a horrid place and gives Coastal Resorts a bad name - thougb of course even established and once very respected ones like scarbrough are arttracting un-desirables now sadly

80sChav
                  Last edited by 80sChav; 01-05-2019, 20:42.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                    Darren, the Irish Newcastle looks so qauint and amazing and so different to any Coastal town we have this side of the Water mate - it almost looks like a little Switzerland/or Austria from how I am visualizing this

This is a great thread you have created by the way George - I'd like to think I have been to a fair whack of the English Coastal Towns as I have sai in the "Holidays Thread", and i think Blackpool and Skeggy-Vegas (Skegness) are my faves!! The places I have not been - are like swaives of Devon and the East Down from Gt Yarmouth and Kent etc. You bit about Southend strikes a chord - as that is one place I have never been there and at one point would have termed it like Liverpool and Plymouth etc as it was so "London".

North and South Shields are two places on my list that are struggling to happen but i hope they. Re; Brid fair play to you as the "New" Spa is ace but as born and bread Yorkshireman I can say Brid really, really is a horrid place and gives Coastal Resorts a bad name - thougb of course even established and once very respected ones like scarbrough are arttracting un-desirables now sadly

80sChav
                    Don't know if you been to Blackpool in the past 30 years Chav but it really needs some TLC, i took my son last year for the illuminations and apart from the new music hall paving opposite the tower it looked just like it did in the 70s...ie orrible. Homeless beggars everywhere,crumbling guest houses,pubs full of hen parties,the inescapable whaft of boiled onions, two delapidated piers, a funfair you can no longer enter without coughing up £15, fed up donkeys being forced to haul fat *** kids up and down the beach,pay to go up the tower then pay again to go in the ballroom, endless shops flogging rock thats been sat on the shelves since 1972, gift shops flogging tacky glass souvenirs,pub front beer gardens painted with seagull ****, horse **** on the roads,and ofcourse rain,rain and more rain...Give me scarbrough any day and i'm a lancashire lad
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

YES I LIKE THAT THOUGHT A MINI SWITZERLAND OR AUSTRIA

ANOTHER FAVE IS PORTRUSH PICS BELOW WHICH IS THE AS FAR NORTH AS U CAN GO.

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        I love the east coast, used to go to scarborough every august bank holiday between 1990-2002 with my four brothers and my dad, when my dad died it was never quite the same and we stopped going.Great memories of days spent trawling the pubs of scarborough also train trips up the coast to whitby, Filey and Bridlington. Best fish and chips in the country to be found in scarborough
                        We probably rubbed shoulders all those years without even knowing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          YES I LIKE THAT THOUGHT A MINI SWITZERLAND OR AUSTRIA

ANOTHER FAVE IS PORTRUSH PICS BELOW WHICH IS THE AS FAR NORTH AS U CAN GO.

Portrush looks lovely too Darren mate, it reminds me a bit of South Wales (or of pictures I have seen of it), but both Portrush and Newcastle are places in Ireland I'd desire to vist mate!!

Is'nt Larne a Seaside/Coastal Town too btw?

Yes Tex I have been to Blackpool and I think it needs more than TLC- though the place has been run-down 15 years or 20 I'd say, but it is terrible what has become of one of England's Greatest Resort I feel. It was so loved and now has gone the other way - I am safe to say too I think it was one of the only places on the Coasts that attracted people from all 4 Home Nations too in it's heyday!
                          80sChav

Comment

I spent a large chunk of my childhood living in Devon. You know, the fat bit? We were smack bang in the middle of that and, with 19th century transport links seemingly still in place, it meant we could only get to the coast by car. Our car was a crapped-out old banger which meant doing that was a major undertaking (well, we couldn't overtake!)!

I used to like to go to Sidmouth - not much of a resort but the (apparently year-round) bracing weather was good for clearing the cobwebs away. And the cream teas - yum!
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Larne is a seaport and industrial market town, as well as a civil parish, on the east coast of County Antrim.
                              larne

Portrush looks lovely too Darren mate, it reminds me a bit of South Wales (or of pictures I have seen of it), but both Portrush and Newcastle are places in Ireland I'd desire to vist mate!!

Is'nt Larne a Seaside/Coastal Town too btw?

Yes Tex I have been to Blackpool and I think it needs more than TLC- though the place has been run-down 15 years or 20 I'd say, but it is terrible what has become of one of England's Greatest Resort I feel. It was so loved and now has gone the other way - I am safe to say too I think it was one of the only places on the Coasts that attracted people from all 4 Home Nations too in it's heyday!
                              80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X