Great Yarmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Yarmouth

Hello Everyone i went down to yarmouth for the day yesterday with my uncle , and i thought how yarmouth has changed over the years , and unfortunately for the worse.

Has Anyone Else Experienced it with your favourite seaside towns etc.?

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: Great Yarmouth

Jim Davidson always used to be in the local theatre there in the mid 1990s.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Pretty much the same everywhere with regard to seaside towns. People holidaying abroad sounded the death knell for most of them, the once glory days a distant memory. The arcades which used to be a place of wonderment have been reduced to places that seem to mostly house those horrid ticket machines, although home gaming is also to blame for that as technology at home provides much better games than the arcades can, with them relying on novelty games and prizes. Shame, as my favourite time in the arcades was the early 80s when home computers were new and games were nowhere near as good as their arcade counterparts.

We used to go to Yarmouth every year when I was a kid, the last time I went was in the mid 90s and it was not as good then. Mind you, i'm comparing it to when I saw Cannon & Ball and Freddie Starr there, in their hayday and also in Yarmouth's.
      Southend is the same, most of the shops have closed down, replaced with tat or phone shops and the seafront is not the draw card it once was. Doesn't stop me visiting it when i am home in the UK again but it's not the great place it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
        Pretty much the same everywhere with regard to seaside towns. People holidaying abroad sounded the death knell for most of them, the once glory days a distant memory. The arcades which used to be a place of wonderment have been reduced to places that seem to mostly house those horrid ticket machines, although home gaming is also to blame for that as technology at home provides much better games than the arcades can, with them relying on novelty games and prizes. Shame, as my favourite time in the arcades was the early 80s when home computers were new and games were nowhere near as good as their arcade counterparts.

We used to go to Yarmouth every year when I was a kid, the last time I went was in the mid 90s and it was not as good then. Mind you, i'm comparing it to when I saw Cannon & Ball and Freddie Starr there, in their hayday and also in Yarmouth's.
        Southend is the same, most of the shops have closed down, replaced with tat or phone shops and the seafront is not the draw card it once was. Doesn't stop me visiting it when i am home in the UK again but it's not the great place it used to be.
        This is true indeed Mulletino, I have made an effort in recent years to visit as many Seaside Towns (as they used to be in their heyday) and so far this year I have achieved Mablethorpe (though been times many) and Redcar, though I have also visited others like Southport, and the like but i also want to try places like Southend/Margate/Minehead that "are a bit off the beaten track" or not as known as Seaside Towns as such

I have only ever been to Gt Yarmouth once (and as a Day Trip) though as a Northern Lad it is'nt/was'nt near enough - not until the 90s and 2000s or at least until we went in 2007 and achieved the run in 4 hours or so!! To me (and I'll always think it this way - that "Gt Yarmouth was/is "the Blackpool of the South"!!

**Additoinally as a thought provoking memory of things you remember by set dates (like what you was doing the day Princes Diana died) going to Gt Yarmouth with my Mum was one of our last Day Trips when she still smoked before the smoking ban in Pubs and Cafe's came in in 2007 (as I recall saying this to her one one of Gt Yarmouth's Pier's) thatt in future we'd have to dine out of doors in Cafe's and pub's!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
        X