Holidays - Where did you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

We never went on holiday when I was young . My dad had to look after my nanna who was more or less house bound, but he wasn't into holidays anyway so used it as an excuse not to go anywhere.

The first holiday I ever went on was a week long trip to the lake district with the school when I was 10, then I never went away again until I had a weekend in London when I was 14. I had a few more weekends away after that but true holidays didn't start for me until I was 17 and saved up to go to Majorca. I've never looked back!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

• when i went on holiday it was to the likes of portrush and bangor both here in northern ireland.
      sometimes to the giants causeway.
      here is the causeway coast.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_EE8SJ0tGE

here is another link
      more pics of giants causeway.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUVIBrBD8I
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

• Re: Oh I Do Like to be Beside The Seaside!

Originally posted by leethev View Post
        Used to stay with my aunty and my cousins for eight weeks school holidays at the caravan park at cleavdon near bristol,it was great, got to stay up late and watch horror movies!
        sounds like this was during the summer holidays.
        yes we would have went away as well.
        somewhere local

we have loads of beautiful beaches here in norn ireland.
        there used to be one in bangor but they got rid of it.
        could not believe it wen i heard that.
        we would stay day me and my bro building sand castles,we all did that.
        running up and down the sand dunes.

Comment

• Re: Oh I Do Like to be Beside The Seaside!

we used to go to school camp at aberfoyle in the early 70,s

Comment

Our school had loads of trips to the likes of Aberfoyle, Crieff Hydro, Kinloch Rannoch, Pitlochry and Ardroy ~ the outdoor adventure place was a favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
              Our school had loads of trips to the likes of Aberfoyle, Crieff Hydro, Kinloch Rannoch, Pitlochry and Ardroy ~ the outdoor adventure place was a favourite.
              where any of the beach type places sandie.

we went on trips to places like bangor newcastle portrush.
              all beach resorts.
              some times we would have educational trips.

to places like the ulster folk and transport museum.

Comment

No, they were mostly inland and situated around or near lochs. I grew up on the coast, beside fantastic beaches in St Andrews, so never had any beach holidays when I was younger.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCremolaFoam View Post
                  Hi guys..

We used to go caravan holidays mainly, my mum and I and Gran..we went to Scarborough Berwick, Saltcoats,Arbroath and..St.Andrews!!! Great times..I remember we once went to the Isle of Skye and a weekend to Inverness..all good fun...

Regards..

Rab ;0)

Fife
                  scotland
                  sounds a great choice of holiday destinations! The places I went to from memory was Ayr (Butlins), Blackpool (Pontins), Blackpool (Hotels ... went there nearly every year from 1993 until the early 2000s) Rhyl, Scarborough, Bournemouth, The Lake District - Keswick to be acturate. All great times!

Comment

I've just returned from my first British seaside holiday for nearly 30 years and I'm delighted to say I enjoyed it . Things haven't changed much the weather was still iffy. The little shops on the promenade still sell bucket and spades, fishing nets, polystyrene gliders, saucy and normal postcards.

The arcades still had the same type of machines as well as the newer ones such as 2p bandits, the horse racing and speedway games where you have to select the winner, the coin game where you drop money in and try and push the coins hanging over the edge off, the machines where you try and grab a prize etc.

Then there was all the seafood stalls, grannies sat huddled behind a wind breaker on the beach and kids making sand castles and drawing in the sand.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

In chronological order (from age 3 to 17):

Berwick on Tweed
                      Edinburgh
                      Berwick again (summer of 76)
                      Edinburgh again
                      London
                      Stirling
                      Tour of the Highlands
                      Oban
                      Dunoon
                      Rothesay
                      Arran
                      Amsterdam
                      France (school trip)
                      France (family)
                      Germany
                      Austria

Comment

Had some great holidays
                        Lladudno (remember getting up at 4am to go on that one - that was so exciting)
                        Looe (Cornwall)
                        Somewhere in mid wales near sea side.

All great times...

Odd - as an adult I just don't "do" holidays. In 15 years I have had a week in spain at a cousins wedding and 2 weeks camping in south of france. Just cannot be bothered with it all - especially not going abroad.

Comment

Butlins pwllheliButlins Skegness
                          Benllech Anglesey
                          Jersey
                          All great holidays Just wish I could back in time to the old Butlins because when I was a kid these where the best places on Earth.

Comment

Morecambe was where we used to go. That was when Morecambe had all the attractions. From what I've seen on the net now, Morecambe is a ghost town.

I can remember as a kid in the 70s/80s, there been to fairs, further out there was (still is) a park called Happy Mount park. This had trampolines, paddling pool, and a train ride around a area in the park, tennis courts. When the weather was good, we used to spend most of the day in there. Later on in the 80s, a outdoor swimming pool was built on the seafront at Morecambe, I can remember this having a wave machine.

I never went to Blackpool until I was around 13, and I was very disappointing with it, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and I still dislike the place now.
                            Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

For those who went to Butlin's, ITV1 have a documentary on tonight, The Story of Butiln's @8pm, might be good viewing
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                                For those who went to Butlin's, ITV1 have a documentary on tonight, The Story of Butiln's @8pm, might be good viewing
                                What a wonderful programme. Should have been longer!

Comment

Working...
                                X