X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    This one too
    Now the noses on the faces of the ladies of the harem of the court of King Catactacus, were just passing by.
    All together, now the noses on the faces of the ladies of the harem of the court of King Catactacus, were just passing by.
    Now the noses on the faces of the ladies of the harem of the court of King Catactacus, were just passing by.

We went to a pubs coming out party recently and all of the staff performed this...my daughter was gobsmacked that I knew it now I know why!!
    Last edited by Heather74; 16-12-2008, 15:24.
    One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

We went to
      Warners at Dovercourt [where hi di hi was filmed] so I was a Warners wagtail. I took my kids back for the closing weekend.
      Butlins Clacton as Day visitors.
      [COLOR=blackCamber Sands.[/COLOR]
      New Beach. So Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway features heavily.
      Weeley...mum and Dad got a caravan there in 1974 with gas lamps they kept the pitch until about 1989. Thorpe, Jaywick and St Osyths markets, Colchester searchlight tattoo, The outspan club on Clacton beach and Uncle Tony's Punch and Judy show at Walton.

The Carnivals were highlights too.
      Last edited by sixtyten; 16-12-2008, 14:16.
      One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

We never actually went away on holiday, my Dad never wanted to go away. Instead when he was on holiday from work we used to go out somewhere different each day, places like Buxton, Matlock and Holme Firth (Last of the summer Wine country) and then take picnics. Often I used to go and stay with my Aunt and Uncle who lived near Macclesfield in the country for school holidays.

Comment

Hello everyone.

Pontins and Butlin have been mentioned a lot on this thread. We holidayed at both when I was a boy, but it was the Butlins in Bognor Regis I recall the most vividly. We were there in 1974 and 1975, I think. I recall 'Radio Butlin' waking us up in the morning with music: 'Sleepy Shores' one year and Fleetwood Mac's 'Albatross' the next. I remember the fairground rides and not quite believing that we could go on them all day and not have to pay! There was the immense Scalextric track, the TV rooms where we could still catch 'Some Mothers Do 'Av 'Em', and the endless hours my brother and I spent in the swimming pool. Truly happy memories.

Comment

I used to go away for a week with my Mum and Grandparents (my poor Dad had to stay home and look after the dog). I remember going to Blackpool, Rhyl two years running, Skegness and Great Yarmouth and Weston Super Mare. My Grandad took me to Edinburgh when I was 10 and we stayed with his brothers family. My first sojourn abroad was with my parents in Oct 79 when I was 12. We went to Salou in Spain for a week. It was awful. It rained, everything was shut and we went with a family my parents had met the year before in Palma. The two children were 3 or 4 years older than me (a big difference at that age) and we had nothing in common whatsoever. They were into horses, I was into football.My last holidays with my parents were in 1981 and 1983. We stayed with my mums cousin Sue in Somerset. I got on well with her two kids Sarah and especially Geoff. we spent hours playing games on my spectrum and at the time he was learning to play drums. He's not done too bad, he's now the main man in the group Portishead. Not seen him since though. Can't even get free tickets when they tour.
            Last edited by branny; 15-02-2009, 22:06.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              This one too
              All together, now the noses on the faces of the ladies of the harem of the court of King Catactacus, were just passing by.
              Originally posted by suzannewozere2 View Post
              We went to a pubs coming out party recently and all of the staff performed this...my daughter was gobsmacked that I knew it now I know why!!
              Went to an engagement do last night & this song came on. Must confess I don't know it. I've never heard it played ANYWHERE before. AND it cleared the dance floor sharpish!!
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

YouTube - Court of King Caractacus - Rolf Harris - Karaoke

It never fails to make me smile.

Comment

Our cousins' - and they came to stay with us. I used to stay with a particularly hurling-mad family, I was useless at all sports, eventually I used to hide from them !
                  One particular cousin came from Dublin every year, wasn't the sporty type, my older brothers used to terrorise him ! Nice guy & we get on great now as adults do.

Comment

Bournmouth,every freekin year!!Well technically it was Christchurch.Can't remember the name of the original caravan park it was at Hengistbury(?) Head,turned it into a permanent holiday home park,or build houses on it.Then it was Hoburn Holiday Park,went to Rockley Sands a couple of times too.Was a lot older before we ventured off to France!

tulip

Comment

Here are some scans of Butlins Filey postcards from thelate 1960s/early1970s
                      Attached Files
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Never Visited the Filey camp, it looks fantastic.
                        We visited Minehead, Skegness, Pwllheli and Barry Island, looking at those pictures still fills me with a warm glow inside, happy,happy days!!!!!
                        Heather

Comment

My family hols were taken at Brixham most years in the same guest house which was very old style and lovely.Then for some strange reason we started going abroad,Italy,Malta etc...But my fondest memories were of mrs Guilders guest house in Brixham.Went to Amsterdam once a year for my bday.(cant remember much about these trips) Went to Zakynthos last year which was great! Quad biking around the mountains is fun and the locals are very friendly,especially if you try to talk to them in their own language.My partner and I got offered jobs at a restaurant on the island but my daughter is a bit too young to be uprooted at the moment.5 years time I should be there living,had enough of this place.
                          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

We mostly went to Skeggy/Ingoldmels and had some nightmare holidays there, including one when I broke my leg playing football with my dad when I was only 4 years old. Also went to Llandudno in North Wales.

In my teens we started going to Sorrento in Italy - really nice there but I don't think I could go back there now as I can no longer tolerate hot weather. We also went to Wissant in France a few times with the school - real rave up (and booze up) it was!
                            Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                              Here are some scans of Butlins Filey postcards from thelate 1960s/early1970s
                              Ooooo! Now if only I could find something similar of Butlins Bognor from the early 70s. I have a couple of pics but they are either late sixties or '79 onwards. Yeah, I'm being a bit specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                                Ooooo! Now if only I could find something similar of Butlins Bognor from the early 70s. I have a couple of pics but they are either late sixties or '79 onwards. Yeah, I'm being a bit specific.
                                Try here
                                Bognor Regis
                                Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X