Holidays - Where did you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

Before I was born my parents went of a couple of canal holidays, one year they did the Grand Union Canal, & on the other the Cheshire Ring.

There were a few hi-jinx on both holidays, involing a near coming together with another boat, & spilt chemical loo & a TV aerial trapped under a low tunnel.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Another postcard from Butlins Filey of the boating lake, train and swimming pools, circa 1981

Attached Files
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I count my blessings that my family didn't make me holiday at Butlins, Pontin's etc. To me they are like prisoner-of-war camps that are very inflexible as to what times you can eat, what time you have to get back in the grounds for before the Goons close the big metal gates and guards start patrolling the inner compound. A bit like wearing an electronic tag and being under curfue.

Are they really like that or is it just my twisted imagination?
        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

As a kid Butlins was a magical holiday..so much to do, & all of it free!

As an adult, been back with the kids in 2003...went home early as kids were bored & driving us mad. Very little entertainment compared to the 70's; and hardly any facilities were free
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
            As a kid Butlins was a magical holiday..so much to do, & all of it free!

As an adult, been back with the kids in 2003...went home early as kids were bored & driving us mad. Very little entertainment compared to the 70's; and hardly any facilities were free
            I went to Minehead in 1985 & was surprised that almost everything there was free, especially the fun fair (though the queues we often long). Some of the live entertainment wasn't far removed from Hi-De-Hi.

Comment

We did a few Pontins camps when I was a kid but mainly we stayed at Warners (when they catered for children)
              I stayed at, amongst others, Sinah Warren, Coronation and Dovercourt Bay.
              It was at Dovercourt Bay where they filmed Hi-De-Hi and Im always boring my family by pointing out the obvious during H-D-H reruns!

I think Sinah Warren is the only one remaining from my youth
              I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

We used to go to Torbay Chalet Hotel in Paignton, later taken over by Pontins. Now demolished for houses. We went there every year from the late 70's to mid 80's. It was fantastic, still mates with people we met there on Facebook. We also had a caravan in Llanbedrog and used to go to the Warren in Abersoch. back then it catered for families with shops and restaurants and a little cafe on the beach but now it has gone all exclusive with a gym and members only club. Beach is still amazing though. Sending mum and dad there this year for their 45th anniversary.

Comment

We usually spent our holidays in Whitby or Berwick upon Tweed. I still really love whitby. Not been to Berwick in over 20 years though. We used to always stay in self catering holiday flats on 'The Crescent' on the West Cliff facing the sea in Whitby. It was great and I have many happy memories of staying there.
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Butlin's Filey in 1967 .. then usually either Skipsea, Brid or Scarborough, except for 1973 / 74 when I worked (?!) at Butlins Skegness ...

Comment

In 1974 my Dad bought an old boat and was moored in Ipswich, industrial dockyard really. But every year we had it lifted to scrape off the barnacles from the hull. When you are 9 years old you just accepted this as the norm! I thought that every kid went away for a week for solid work !!!

Good fun though when I look back!

Then Dad bought an old Transit van, and it was camping for quite a few years to Weymouth and Norfolk. And something someone said in an earlier Holiday memory was the mini cereal variety boxes! Lovely

Didnt ask for much then did we?

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                        Didnt ask for much then did we?
                        Nope. Some of my happiest holiday memories were simply walking the dog on the beach, then going home and playing cards with a huge bag of penny sweets as the money we bet with

Comment

I remember us taking those sets of mini cerial boxes to my Gran's caravan at Wells Next The Sea.

Comment

Yes! I saw some in B & M Bargains today for £1.49. Might buy some just to remember - but I bet they wont be the same,printing and boxes were, different/bigger!

Oh, and we always used to have raspberry or banana Nesquick in the oblong box - mum used to try to get me to drink milk cos I was so skinny! Must have worked!!!!!!

Comment

Interestingly I remember my Mum taking some rasberry Nesquick with us to the Isle Of Wight in 1982, though the containers were thick cylindrical card with a plastic lid.

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                                ..Some of my happiest holiday memories were simply walking the dog on the beach, then going home and playing cards with a huge bag of penny sweets as the money we bet with
                                I can relate to this. I've posted already about my holidays in the rentable bungalows at Bracklesham Bay. We had a dachshund and would also take walks along the beach with her. I think we played board games if the weather was bad, but - as is often the case with this kind of memory - I recall the sun always shined!

Comment

Working...
                                X