Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonfire night

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marine Boy
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Yes, those jumping jacks! At one time, there would have been me and two younger brothers, plus assorted members of the family and sometimes those fireworks got awfully close. We just thought it great fun but I suppose, in retrospect, they were quite dangerous.

    My favourite November 5th party was one put on be my Dad's firm, probably around 1970. The bonfire was immense and there was a van dispensing jacket potatoes and hotdogs. We were all dressed in thick jumpers and coats and the atmosphere was electric.
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 18-10-2009, 20:59.

    Leave a comment:


  • amethyst
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    I remember the jumpin jack chasing you round the garden,catherine wheel,sparklers,roman candle,home made soup to keep you warm,the smell of smoke the following morning

    Leave a comment:


  • Shirl
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    They are not the same today, no colour in them at all, no bang, the cathrin weel do not spin so long, the rockets are terrible, i use to love the jumping jack i remember running round the garden because i was never to sure were it was going to jump to next.

    Leave a comment:


  • kazboot
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    I have many memories like these.
    We always had a big party on the night with loads of fireworks, a massive bonfire, jacket spuds baked in foil in the fire, our home made Guy used for 'Penny For The Guy' by my brother all week finally ceremoniously dumped on top of the fire, looking for the shells in the streets the next day.

    Do any of you remember the unbelievably dangerous Jumping Jack firework that chased you round the garden?
    Or the Banger being thrown behind you and making you jump when it exploded?
    I think both of these were banned by the early 70s, thank goodness!

    I also remember fireworks like Air Bombs being much louder than today.

    Leave a comment:


  • jolima71
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Lol yep i remember those adverts,
    i also remember 1 year that the firebrigade came to our house as i bonfire was so big they had got the hose out and came running over then 1 said wait a minute did you call us and dad said no and he had his hose on the tap anyway so they went not sure who called them lol but luckily 1 thought to ask before extinguishing it lol

    Leave a comment:


  • spadino
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Ahh yes I remember it well. My Guy had a very slim passing resemblance to anything human shaped but I insisted on making it myslef without any help! I would taipse down to a junction in Radford In Nottingham where we lived and there we would catch the workers changing shifts at Raleigh Bicycles and John Player cigarettes, LOADS of pennies for Fireworks! For food on the night we would get Baked potatoes, bonfire toffee which was incredibly hard! Flapjacks baked apples, and lots of sweets that were only available at that time of year 'winter toffee and the such. I always remembered I could wait for my bath that week until bofire night and go to bed all clean and warm with a big smile on my face. So many things have now been designated unsafe by the powers that be but we were okay, as long as you had a responsable adult there! Does anyone remember the adverts that the Fire Brigade put out about keeping fireworks in a biscuit tin with a lid? Wear a glove and light them at arms length and to keep a bucket of water or sand handy?

    Leave a comment:


  • joybee
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    WOW ! I'm shattered ! We have just finished our bonfire bash and I've just thrown my last family members out (Heather & kids !!) Eleven adults, nine kids round a bonfire in the garden with a smashing firework display. We all enjoyed hot dogs and burgers (and a little alcohol) The kids thought it was great Think the dishes and tidying up can wait till tomorrow

    Leave a comment:


  • Wil
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    I also remember getting up the next morning and collecting all the spent shells of the fire works, not sure why LOL
    I mentioned this to a workmate the other day and he did it too. There was definitely a oneupmanship in who could find the most (or the most complete) shell the next day.

    On the night itself we'd also go around and down all the local alleyways to see if we could catch a glimpse of other people's displays!

    Leave a comment:


  • rossobantam
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    I grew up in the middle of the countryside...we had a 'farm' of sorts....and every year we had the BEST bonfires...plenty of trees/bushes to be cleared & burnt

    we always had soup, bangers mash & beans...then bonfire toffee & Parkin

    and 'cos the land was so flat in our area, we could see all the other bonfires in the distance....like beacons of old

    Dave

    Leave a comment:


  • Heather74
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    What a Generation

    Leave a comment:


  • HG
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    I also remember getting up the next morning and collecting all the spent shells of the fire works, not sure why LOL
    I did that too, think i liked the smell of them.

    Leave a comment:


  • joybee
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Just re read your Leader Jolima and yes, there are still Guys out there on the streets ! I work at the Co-op near to where I live and as we speak there is a gang of three small boys of about 10 outside the main door with theirs !

    Leave a comment:


  • jolima71
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    I also remember getting up the next morning and collecting all the spent shells of the fire works, not sure why LOL
    LOL now that you mention it i remember doing that too but same as you Not sure why hee hee

    Leave a comment:


  • Heather74
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    I also remember getting up the next morning and collecting all the spent shells of the fire works, not sure why LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • Heather74
    replied
    Re: Bonfire night

    We also made a Guy to burn(using mum's american tan tights) on the Bonfire as kids, we had quite a big fire at the bottom of our garden, we would go wood collecting a few weeks before, then the Guy would take position on top.
    All the family and neighbours kids would come to us with their fireworks to be set off, I can just smell it now. We would have Jacket potatoes, cheese and beans, to warm us up.
    I look back on Bonfire night with fond memories, we also did out share of "Penny for the Guy", spending hours on the bus stop.
    We don't make one with our children as our gardens not big enough for a fire, we do however have a few fireworks with all the family at mum's house.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X