Isle of Wight 1986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Wight 1986

Did Anyone else holiday as s kid on the Isle of Wight during the 1980s? I went with my primary school and a few things have stuck in my memory.

Firstly, I remember building sandcastles on the beach before the evening meal. Lots of fun.

Second, I remember a theme/adventure park we visited, at which I won 15 on one of the slot machines. (Lol That's not something you ever forget as a kid.) I'm not sure which adventure park this was, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thirdly, those damn cable chairs that go over the cliff and on to the beach. Geez where they scary! At one point I was absolutely sure I was gonna hit one of those large metal pylons. Never again. The coloured sand on the cliffs was nice though.

Lastly I recall doing a five mile hike in the pouring rain from... Well, to be perfectly honest, I can't remember where we went from, or too! I do remember getting to the destination and drying my socks on a radiator with 20 other sodden classmates. Lol I not even sure how we got back!

Still, happy days.

Never in the 80s but my wife and i went in 2018 to Shanklin on a national express 3 day break, it was lovely and so was the weather surprisingly
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
      Never in the 80s but my wife and i went in 2018 to Shanklin on a national express 3 day break, it was lovely and so was the weather surprisingly
      Sounds great. Not sure if I went to Shanklin. I would like to go back to the Isle in general one day, though.

Comment

I visited in 1982 and 1995, both times I really enjoyed myself.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I went twice in the 70s, once with family, and once with my school.

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
            I went twice in the 70s, once with family, and once with my school.
            Where did you go? Did you have the boat trip to the needles?

Comment

I visited it myself in 2006.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
              X