Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas When You Were Growing Up

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

    Originally posted by tex View Post
    Poor choice of wording, TRYING to start a new tradition might be more appropriate
    There is not much difference between doing something and trying to do something. For example, if I am trying on a pair of shoes, I am wearing them, otherwise I wouldn't be trying them on. If I am trying a new food, I am eating it (unless I spit it out) etc.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

    Comment


    • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

      Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      There is not much difference between doing something and trying to do something. For example, if I am trying on a pair of shoes, I am wearing them, otherwise I wouldn't be trying them on. If I am trying a new food, I am eating it (unless I spit it out) etc.
      Aspirations to create something from nothing
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

      Comment


      • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

        Originally posted by tex View Post
        Aspirations to create something from nothing
        I think they are the same.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

        Comment


        • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

          Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          I think they are the same.
          You ok George? Noticed some splitting of hairs in your recent posts both here and in the coincidences thread.
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

          Comment


          • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

            Originally posted by tex View Post
            You ok George? Noticed some splitting of hairs in your recent posts both here and in the coincidences thread.
            I am pleased that you have noticed - the clashing of views from members is something that I avoid at all costs, and I prefer it if we all got on with each other.

            No, I have had some personal difficulties as of late, depression etc, and as I am sure you know, it can get on top of you when everything comes along at once.

            I was thinking about taking a break from this forum, but then again, I feel that if I shouldn't run away from here and that I should keep going on.

            At least until Christmas (he says, trying to bring things back on topic).
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

            Comment


            • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

              you would be missed around here George.
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

              Comment


              • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                Originally posted by tex View Post
                you would be missed around here George.
                I shall keep posting on here as often as I can.
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                Comment


                • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                  Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                  I shall keep posting on here as often as I can.
                  The oldest set of twins were 102 yesterday ...


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                  Comment


                  • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                    Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    I am pleased that you have noticed - the clashing of views from members is something that I avoid at all costs, and I prefer it if we all got on with each other.

                    No, I have had some personal difficulties as of late, depression etc, and as I am sure you know, it can get on top of you when everything comes along at once.

                    I was thinking about taking a break from this forum, but then again, I feel that if I shouldn't run away from here and that I should keep going on.

                    At least until Christmas (he says, trying to bring things back on topic).
                    Just noticed that bit about depression and sadly it's something I've dallied with myself for decades - as long as I can remember to be honest and I'm 60.

                    I'm a worrier and get very anxious over little things and even things that MAY happen !!

                    Our son moved to the states as few years ago and even though I'm totally obsessed with music I didn't listen to a single song for NINE MONTHS - without even realising !!

                    Now when I stop listening to music for a few days and only listen to Radio 5 or TalkSport the wife notices and gives me a 'talking to '

                    A couple of close family members have encouraged me to see the Doc and get some tablets but I don't take any medication and I don't like the idea of popping a few tablets .. just old fashioned I guess.

                    Oddly enough , when that 'cloud' drifts over I make myself listen to some real happy pop music and it works 90% of the time ..


                    Stick with it George !!

                    Sorry I'm not better with words ( dyslexic / Aspergers ) .



                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                    Comment


                    • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                      Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                      The oldest set of twins were 102 yesterday …
                      Yes, I saw that myself. Just proves how people are alike.

                      When I was younger, it was the spring and summer months that used to get me down - the light evenings meant that I had difficulty sleeping, but these days it is the autumn which ironically enough I would have looked forward to so much when I was younger. The fact that I have difficulty with relationships because of the conditions that I have is one factor. It is a truism that life can be like a stuck record, repeating itself over and over again. I do feel that I want to escape from myself if you know what I mean.

                      As well as depression, I get anxiety as well - I do feel that they go together, and I believe that is the case with lots of people who have it.

                      Anyway, five weeks to go before Christmas...
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                      Comment


                      • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                        Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        Yes, I saw that myself. Just proves how people are alike.

                        When I was younger, it was the spring and summer months that used to get me down - the light evenings meant that I had difficulty sleeping, but these days it is the autumn which ironically enough I would have looked forward to so much when I was younger. The fact that I have difficulty with relationships because of the conditions that I have is one factor. It is a truism that life can be like a stuck record, repeating itself over and over again. I do feel that I want to escape from myself if you know what I mean.

                        As well as depression, I get anxiety as well - I do feel that they go together, and I believe that is the case with lots of people who have it.

                        Anyway, five weeks to go before Christmas...
                        Yeah. . I had a great childhood and I've got a lovely family so Christmas has always been special to me ...




                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                        Comment


                        • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                          Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          Yeah. . I had a great childhood and I've got a lovely family so Christmas has always been special to me …
                          Good for you - I always say that sending Christmas cards each year is a great way of making friends, and I send so many at the start of December I often joke that my local post box is about to topple over. I spend over 100 on postage stamps like I have done so this year - it's a pity that very few people send one back though, and it's a pity that the ones that I want them to send one to me, don't do so.

                          The furthest one sent each year is to someone in Australia and the nearest one is to someone who lives in the flat above me.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                          Comment


                          • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                            Wow I feel all sad reading about your depression problems guys. You should start a separate thread re this. There was one on my last forum. A place to bare your soul so to speak. I did do as I had a tuff mental time decades ago too.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                              From 1978 to 1994 my parents would organise an annual Christmas party for pensioners on our estate. They formed an informal committee together with 3 other local friends and neighbours to help them. To fund the party, they would hold jumble sales in our local Working Men's Club and also had bingo nights in our house--once per month during the spring and summer when it was warm and light at night. Around the middle of October, my mother and I would draw up an invitation, have it copied and deliver it to all the houses where pensioners lived. There would be a slip to fill in and return to our house so they would know how many were coming to the party. The party would be held at the Working Men's Club, only a few hundred yards away. They would provide a traditional Christmas 3-course meal for the pensioners, all cooked and served by my parents and their 3 friends. Anyone who had trouble walking was taken by car--often I did that job. After the party meal there would be songs and bingo. The pensioners also got an envelope each with a couple of pounds in it. Around 70 pensioners would come to the party, which was held on the first or second Saturday in December. Only once was the weather so bad that the party had to be postponed until the following week.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Christmas When You Were Growing Up

                                Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                                From 1978 to 1994 my parents would organise an annual Christmas party for pensioners on our estate. They formed an informal committee together with 3 other local friends and neighbours to help them. To fund the party, they would hold jumble sales in our local Working Men's Club and also had bingo nights in our house--once per month during the spring and summer when it was warm and light at night. Around the middle of October, my mother and I would draw up an invitation, have it copied and deliver it to all the houses where pensioners lived. There would be a slip to fill in and return to our house so they would know how many were coming to the party. The party would be held at the Working Men's Club, only a few hundred yards away. They would provide a traditional Christmas 3-course meal for the pensioners, all cooked and served by my parents and their 3 friends. Anyone who had trouble walking was taken by car--often I did that job. After the party meal there would be songs and bingo. The pensioners also got an envelope each with a couple of pounds in it. Around 70 pensioners would come to the party, which was held on the first or second Saturday in December. Only once was the weather so bad that the party had to be postponed until the following week.
                                A great sense of community rarely seen these days unfortunately
                                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X