silly things we did as kids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: silly things we did as kids.

You never forget what its like to be electrocuted do you?

Comment

My cousin had an old lawnmower that I once mowed part of their lawn with. I was told that to stop the engine, you had to press down on a bit of metal that connected with the spark plug. Unfortunately, I didn't realise that you had to do this by standing on it with your shoe, and I did it by hand. My cousin saw me from inside their house, and told me later that apparently I lit up like the boy in the Ready Brek adverts. Needless to say, I didn't do that again!
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
        Did something similar when I was ten years old.....removed a light-bulb from a standard lamp whilst it was plugged in....and....wait for it....promptly stuck my fingers in the element just for the hell of it.....35 years later I can still sense the "exhilirating experience"!!
        did u find exhilarating at the time mate.
        amazing to think you can still remember it.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to use the bars of the electric fire to shrink crisp packets (same effect as sticking them under the grill). Managed to get too close once and molten plastic dripped down the back of the bar. Everytime it was turned on after that the stench of burning plastic filled the room.

Managed to lock my Mum out of the house when i was a toddler and didn't know how to let her back in. She had to smash the window to unlock the door.

Decided to take next doors v old labrador for a walk by yanking his collar. He clearly didn't want to go and sank his teeth into my hand.

Went through a Tarzan phase and decided to use those coloured strips that hang in doorways to keep flies out to swing on. They snapped and left a large gap that was unmissable. Got slapped for that one.

Used to go to a derelict factory to play when I was about 14. It was still full of dials and switches and electrical stuff that my mates were into. It also had what must have been a conveyer belt for loading onto barges and boats and ran down to the adjacent canal. There was no belt on it so we used to improvise and use a large corrugated sheet to ride down it. We used to get some speed up on it and there was absolutely nothing that would have stopped you ending up in the canal if you didn't stop yourself. One "outsider" that came with us one day knackered his ankles trying to stop himself. Very stupid of us looking back.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

i watched a bruce lee movie, can't remember which and thought "i could do that!" so, out into the yard i go to find a piece of wood.
            the end result was me going to the hospital and getting a fractured arm for my act of stupidity. i pmsl now though.

Comment

Which lad in the early 70s, didn't think they could be like Bruce Lee, Big Kid?

sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

Me. I thought I was Steve Austin.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I remember those bar heaters.
                  I had one going in the bedroom when u kicked it over setting fire to the bedroom carpet.
                  those things got banned did they not.

well after that incident the parents banned them.

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

true kaz.

Comment

I'm surprised Darren managed to grow up without killing himself or others. Were there any weeks that went past where you didn't narrowly miss maiming or killing yourself or your family? lol

Comment

Did anybody else deliberately graze their knees with stones/broken glass etc to get a sticky plaster? My friend, who used to fall down a lot, always had about two on each knee and would leave them on for weeks until they had to be almost chisled off. I never fell over much so had to resort to drastic measures to get a much-coveted plaster!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                          I'm surprised Darren managed to grow up without killing himself or others. Were there any weeks that went past where you didn't narrowly miss maiming or killing yourself or your family? lol
                          i was a very clumsy child i was.

Another was getting my hand caught in the car door.
                          im a regular frank spencer.

Comment

Playing 'Man Hunt' at school one Summer, aged 12 I think, ran full pelt into a wrought iron gate thinking I could push it open as I ran - CRACKED my forehead open and I mean CRACKED it literally. The kid with me, who eventually became my nemesis - (toe rag!) stood there and then I felt this warmth running down my forehead and I thought my face had been ripped wide apart. We went up to the library where my form teacher was and I simply said, cupping my hands full of dripping blood, 'Sir, I've had an accident'. Had to go to hospital and have stitches. Was actually rather calm about it.

Basically, the gate should have been swung the other way, as I pushed it, it came up against the edge corner of the wall it was attached to, the resulting force of push and WHAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! Still got a scar on me forehead....

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              Playing 'Man Hunt' at school one Summer, aged 12 I think, ran full pelt into a wrought iron gate thinking I could push it open as I ran - CRACKED my forehead open and I mean CRACKED it literally. The kid with me, who eventually became my nemesis - (toe rag!) stood there and then I felt this warmth running down my forehead and I thought my face had been ripped wide apart. We went up to the library where my form teacher was and I simply said, cupping my hands full of dripping blood, 'Sir, I've had an accident'. Had to go to hospital and have stitches. Was actually rather calm about it.

Basically, the gate should have been swung the other way, as I pushed it, it came up against the edge corner of the wall it was attached to, the resulting force of push and WHAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! Still got a scar on me forehead....

the teacher was calm i bet you where not mate.
                              wonder what your mum said to you.
                              sounds like it hit u with great force mate.

i can feel it reading this post.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Did anybody else deliberately graze their knees with stones/broken glass etc to get a sticky plaster? My friend, who used to fall down a lot, always had about two on each knee and would leave them on for weeks until they had to be almost chisled off. I never fell over much so had to resort to drastic measures to get a much-coveted plaster!

never did that tricky.
                              cant believe anyone did on purpose.
                              im not good when it comes to pain mate
                              these plasters seemed like they where welded on mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X