House for sale boards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House for sale boards...

I'm sure in the past when a house was for sale the sale sign outside would even have a price on it....anyone else remember that?

Re: House for sale boards...

I remember until the leat 1980s they often were bigger & made from thin wood.

Some of my Dad's friends once moved on into another garden for a laugh which a bit worse for wear drinkwise.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I don't remember the house prices being on them, but I do remember wondering what 'To Let' meant when I was little. It still doesn't seem right to me. Should be 'For Rent'.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember when I was a kid we were selling our house and we had 'view by appointment only' on the board cos apparently if you didn't have that on people would just knock on the door and have a look!
        Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
          I remember when I was a kid we were selling our house and we had 'view by appointment only' on the board cos apparently if you didn't have that on people would just knock on the door and have a look!
          Sometimes if a house was empty the agents would trust you with the keys to take a look yourself,provided you returned them the same day,that dont happen anymore the agent has to be with you,these days buying a house is a lot different to the old days,instead of going to the agents with a pile of leaflets,view on line if you dont like the look of a house you dont bother to view

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            view on line if you dont like the look of a house you dont bother to view
            And Google street views is a huge boon now compared to just looking at a map and then after going to the house finding that what looked like a nice quiet street on the map is, in fact, a busy thoroughfare or full of other things which would put you off right away.

Comment

Appearances can be deceiving because unless the area is really squalid-looking even Google Street View often doesn't fully convey the fact that the neighbourhood is dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                Appearances can be deceiving because unless the area is really squalid-looking even Google Street View often doesn't fully convey the fact that the neighbourhood is dodgy.
                That's very true, but at least you can immediately eliminate places which have anything obvious that you wouldn't want to live next door to.

Comment

Also you can find out what the crime rate in an area is wether it is low medium or high

If you really like a house then view a few times before putting in an offer,check the area out listening out for dogs,any noise in the distance with a motorway close by

Comment

Working...
                  X