Guinness after giving birth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinness after giving birth!

You have got to love the 70's. Had this conversation with my mam and she said when she was in hospital giving birth to me, women were offered glasses of Guinness or Newcastle Brown Ale as a pick me up. "Oh, to give you nutrients after the rigours of child birth?" I asked, thinking that was bad enough. "No, before the birth!" She replied. Imagine the outcry if they did that now!
    1976 Vintage

Re: Guinness after giving birth!

you carnt beat a good guinness they should allow it few pints off that take any pain away
    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

never heard that before but yes guinness supposedly does have a lot of good stuff in it.
      a lot of nutrients etc.
      but yes id have been a bit worried if your mum had taken it before the birth mate.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      You have got to love the 70's. Had this conversation with my mam and she said when she was in hospital giving birth to me, women were offered glasses of Guinness or Newcastle Brown Ale as a pick me up. "Oh, to give you nutrients after the rigours of child birth?" I asked, thinking that was bad enough. "No, before the birth!" She replied. Imagine the outcry if they did that now!
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i remember doing a hospital placement for a college course in 1979/80 .........with supper the elderly were given guinness or stout as its got iron in it........more likely it sent them to sleep asap *giggles*

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          never heard that before but yes guinness supposedly does have a lot of good stuff in it.
          a lot of nutrients etc.
          but yes id have been a bit worried if your mum had taken it before the birth mate.
          well I missed out as my mam never drank but there must have been a few tiddly foetuses in those days!
          1976 Vintage

Comment

bet u did not expect to see that shilts.

yeah its got iron in it.

still seems odd giving guinness though.

now i think about it i think i do remember hearing this happened.

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
            i remember doing a hospital placement for a college course in 1979/80 .........with supper the elderly were given guinness or stout as its got iron in it........more likely it sent them to sleep asap *giggles*
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've heard that Guinness is good to drink if you are feeling faint.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
              X