This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trip down memory lane

Thanks for your participation tex and angliaknight. Now our early cinema experiences have been thorouly covered there are plenty of other subjects. How about your hobbies? I had little freedom at my boarding school but one thing we were allowed was to make model aeroplanes. I must have made at least 100 while I was there. These would have been my faves. The Spitfire, the Wellington bomber and the German Stukha.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
      Thanks for your participation tex and angliaknight. Now our early cinema experiences have been thorouly covered there are plenty of other subjects. How about your hobbies? I had little freedom at my boarding school but one thing we were allowed was to make model aeroplanes. I must have made at least 100 while I was there. These would have been my faves. The Spitfire, the Wellington bomber and the German Stukha.
      I used to enjoy making these and had several hanging from my bedroom ceiling on pieces of cotton.more recently i bought an airfix galleon but the thing got the better of me and ended up half built on a boot sale and eventually in the dustbin. Again more recently my daughter knowing that i enjoy creative activities bought a series of unpainted wooden birds which you would paint yourself and display and for a while they looked nice in the garden.
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I made quite a few model aeroplanes in my youth. I think I had a kit with a Spitfire and Me109 included in a special Battle of Britain set. Most were Airfix, but a few were Matchbox and Frog. I had a Dambusters Lancaster complete with bouncing bomb, but I tended to pick more modern aircraft. I remember having a Panavia Tornado, Hawker Siddley Harrier, McDonnell Douglas Phantom, MiG-21, North American F-86D Sabre, English Electric Canberra, Me262, BAC Strikemaster and others. Many I attached to bits of cotton and stuck them to my bedroom ceiling.

I had a few ship models, almost all from Airfix. HMS Fearless, HMS Devonshire, HMS Cossack and HMS Ark Royal.

I didn't go much for models of land vehicles, but definitely had Crusader and Sherman Firefly tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          I made quite a few model aeroplanes in my youth. I think I had a kit with a Spitfire and Me109 included in a special Battle of Britain set. Most were Airfix, but a few were Matchbox and Frog. I had a Dambusters Lancaster complete with bouncing bomb, but I tended to pick more modern aircraft. I remember having a Panavia Tornado, Hawker Siddley Harrier, McDonnell Douglas Phantom, MiG-21, North American F-86D Sabre, English Electric Canberra, Me262, BAC Strikemaster and others. Many I attached to bits of cotton and stuck them to my bedroom ceiling.

I had a few ship models, almost all from Airfix. HMS Fearless, HMS Devonshire, HMS Cossack and HMS Ark Royal.

I didn't go much for models of land vehicles, but definitely had Crusader and Sherman Firefly tanks.
          Sticky fingers??

Comment

Sticky fingers tex??

As for the model planes you guys had hanging from your bedroom ceilings.. We were not allowed such liberties. My models were either taken home or thrown out.
            Unlike you with land vehicles staffslad I had a full WW2 Desert Set...something like 100 pieces. Spent many hours playing with this.. but only on visiting days. They looked like below from memory.

Comment

Ufology was another interest of mine, the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe really intrigued me, i would buy books on the subject and attended several seminars, i even had an article printed in ufo magazine (now defunct).
              This may seem silly to many but doubters should check the evidence which is quite overwhelming, i am not referring to the plethora of fake videos on you tube but documentation that stems all the way back to the 40s including testimony from pilots,astronauts,police, politicians even world leaders. Sure 95% of sightings can be explained away but the remaining 5% still amounts to thousands of unexplained reports of ufos. I dont mention this to start a debate just this was something i was interested in as a teenager and into middle age.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                Ufology was another interest of mine, the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe really intrigued me, i would buy books on the subject and attended several seminars, i even had an article printed in ufo magazine (now defunct).
                This may seem silly to many but doubters should check the evidence which is quite overwhelming, i am not referring to the plethora of fake videos on you tube but documentation that stems all the way back to the 40s including testimony from pilots,astronauts,police, politicians even world leaders. Sure 95% of sightings can be explained away but the remaining 5% still amounts to thousands of unexplained reports of ufos. I dont mention this to start a debate just this was something i was interested in as a teenager and into middle age.
                I too have always had a fascination for Ufology. Agree with you 100%.

Comment

Now this thread is taking off.

Comment

Sticky fingers tex??

As for the model planes you guys had hanging from your bedroom ceilings.. We were not allowed such liberties. My models were either taken home or thrown out.
                    Unlike you with land vehicles staffslad I had a full WW2 Desert Set...something like 100 pieces. Spent many hours playing with this.. but only on visiting days. They looked like below from memory.

I had a few of the playsets Airfix put out in the 70s...

Pontoon Bridge Assault set
                    A box of H0-00 scale British commandos, box of German infantry, 3 or 4 moulded plastic vehicles and a pontoon bridge.

Gun Emplacement set
                    Box of H0-00 scale British paratroopers, box of German infantry and a large gun emplacement complete with working gun, trenches and other features.

Foreign Legion fort
                    Box of H0-00 French Foreign Legion, box of Bedouin Arabs and a model of a Foreign Legion fort.

The boxes of soldiers were the ones that Airfix sold for decades. About 30 or so figures that were on moulding sprues, so you had to twist them off the sprues. The box also contained other bits and pieces...the commandos included two men paddling a canoe.

Comment

Trips uptown meant buying a matchbox vehicle, if i had been good, if only i had saved them along with the boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
                        Trips uptown meant buying a matchbox vehicle, if i had been good, if only i had saved them along with the boxes.
                        Boxes are essential and worth as much as the car in many cases, corgi/dinky and matchbox all demand big money when boxed, condition ofcourse will also dictate the value but there are some serious collectors for these. With hindsight we all wish we had retained the boxes but in reality the first thing most kids do is throw it away.

Comment

Who as a kid used to play on house demolition sites? Hard to imagine these days but it was always a real adventure for me as a young lad going into the old terraced houses which had been evacuated and earmarked for demolition. During the 60s Manchester and inparticular Salford had a massive regeneration programme as i expect many cities did, we would go exploring these old buildings and invariably we would go home covered in plaster dust and paint....great times indeed!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have an oil painting of the photo on the right in my dining room, note the tail end of a Ford anglia

Comment

I too have always had a fascination for Ufology. Agree with you 100%.
                              I was into UFOs at one time, but went off them when they became the target of conspiracy theorist nuts, who would insist every dismissed sighting was a government cover-up, even when it could easily be explained.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
                                Same here. I only got measly pocket money which meant I had to save up for weeks to be able to afford a matchbox vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X