X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald the Great
    replied
    Re: A trip down memory lane

Ok DYRers what was your fav confectionery growing up. You may or may not have read this account of my school days. But we were forbade lollies or chocolates by our draconian masters. My older brother was a a prefect in senior school so on Picture Nites he would arrange to have a huge bag of lollies transported to me surrepticiously. God help anyone who did not do as he said as he would put them on detention. Many boys, not including me as I was a chicken, would go awol down to the lollie shop in a nearby village. They risked severe detention if found out.

Sorry to digress. in those days we ate mostly boiled lollies but when I left school my horizons broadened considerably. I made up for my days of sweet tooth deprivation with all types of goodies. Did you have these in the UK?

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Ignore Zincubus they are merely catterpillars
    Well that's disappointing then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
    Ok what are they. Or shouldnt I ask.
    Ignore Zincubus they are merely catterpillars

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

We used to go looking for hairy marys .....Oh stop it!!
    Ok what are they. Or shouldnt I ask.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by zincubus View Post
    won't find many nowadays

sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Won't find many nowadays

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Don't think I could have explained it any better. How it got the name Cuckoo spit I don't know, and I wonder if kids today would even know what was meant by looking for it. Maybe if there was a phone app called Virtual Cuckoo Spit Hunter then they might show interest, but I fear we are creating a zombie generation addicted to the tiny world of their phone screen rather than exploring the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied
    A trip down memory lane

"hunting cuckoo spit"? Please explain staffslad.
    Maybe it's the same as 'frog spit' those clumps of bubbly white foam you sometimes see on blades of grass ??

Definition ~

Actually the cluster of small transparent bubbles in a whitish foam is instead caused by an insect called a spittlebug or froghopper, in the Cecropidae family (also in the newly created families Aphrophoridae and Clastopteridae), and goes by the name of frog spit, cuckoo spit or snake spit.

Last edited by Zincubus; 19-12-2018, 11:07.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    Mmmmmm...the Buttercup glow and fancying the other person also rings a bell, but there was as well the likeing butter thing.

At infants school there were many trees and bushes, and I remember spending many hours of playtime and lunchtime hunting for Cuckoo spit.

Also at infants school, I remember there was a stern rule that we could not have gangs. I suppose this would have been a few years after mods and rockers, and around the time when skinhead gangs were in the news. Not sure if the teachers thought we were going to riot Brighton-style in the playground.
    "hunting cuckoo spit"? Please explain staffslad.

Leave a comment:

• battyrat
    replied

Girls at primary school I can remember playing such games in summer.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I remember the she loves me....she loves me not, but as for the flower, I am not sure.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Big gang mentality at my school, lots of punchups at dinnertime etc. Soft as **** when you get them alone ofcourse

Leave a comment:

• battyrat
    replied

There were always gangs in my old school. And some of the teachers in my old secondary school seemed to use some of these gangs to try to keep some sort of order and control over the rest of the pupils. That's how my memory seems to see things as an adult. Most of these gangs were formed of close friends and their relations. But it seems funny that once a person got a position in the school most of that "click" also seemed to get positions in similar roles.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

There was a flower that you plucked the petals saying as you did.. "she loves me.. she loves me not". Most times I finished with the latter. Drat.. unlucky at love....
    Buttercups again I think ..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X