Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your childhood home

Originally posted by darren View Post
    i guess its nice to live next to your childhood home.
    it brings back happy memories.

bit it must be sad to see it in such a bad way.

im sure if u had the money you would buy it do it up and live in it.
    I would love to own it.Must admit that I have kept a check of its market value.Problem is like many people in our area I was made redundant due to the company I worked for moving abroad a few years back,and what with companys closing down quicker then I can apply for jobs.I expect if I had the money I could probably get it at a bargain price as when the last people moved out they gutted the place including the kitchen and dumped it in the garden along with other fittings and fixtures.Did not want anybody else to use it as they paid for a new kitchen for the place only 12 months earlier.It does hurt seeing the place in that state.Good housing is in very short supply around here at the moment so it would make sence the company that owns it doing it up and getting it back onto the market.I suppose if they were to rent it to me for a very cheap price for as long as I wish to live there I would be happy to put the place back to the state it was all those years ago,provided it was as cheap as housing the association to rent.But private is nearly twice the price rent wise may be more.So sad.I can still remember the swing we had in the garden,the slab of concrete is still there.

Comment

I would love to go back into my proper childhood home, I pass it quite a lot but unfortunately it's been rented and looks really shabby now

However I go back to the house I lived in when I was 12 - 14 quite a lot, the people we sold it to then went on to sell it to what became my in laws!!
      When I first met my wife I asked if I could walk her home "OK" she said, turned out to be my old place she even had the same room as me!!!
      sigpic

Comment

I haven't seen England again since I came to Australia in 1982, but I checked out my old street Stow Gardens in Manchester on Google Maps a couple of months ago. The house I grew up in is still there, the street still looks the same but the cars don't. ;-)
        Last edited by fatpizzaman; 08-02-2012, 23:29. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

My childhood home is still around, though it's been thoroughly "modernised" by the new occupants. Double Glazing, trendy walls painted different colours and big glass vases with painted bits of driftwood and kindeling in. No more blue velved arm crairs or embossed wallpaper. I remember how long it took my dad and grandad to put up the dado rail for my mam. and the cupboard of photo albums. Conservatory plonked on the back where my dad's motorbike used to sit. The large open ground is still infront, but now it's all torn up with snapped saplings strewn across everywhere. It's nice to see the big bush I planted when I was a kid is still alive and bigger than ever though!

P.S. What's up with modern houses in general? It's all bright bright colours and "minimalist". I liked my old house for being full of period stuff like an old gas fireplace and wood paneling.
          If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Originally posted by Llamarama View Post
            My childhood home is still around, though it's been thoroughly "modernised" by the new occupants. Double Glazing, trendy walls painted different colours and big glass vases with painted bits of driftwood and kindeling in. No more blue velved arm crairs or embossed wallpaper. I remember how long it took my dad and grandad to put up the dado rail for my mam. and the cupboard of photo albums. Conservatory plonked on the back where my dad's motorbike used to sit. The large open ground is still infront, but now it's all torn up with snapped saplings strewn across everywhere. It's nice to see the big bush I planted when I was a kid is still alive and bigger than ever though!

P.S. What's up with modern houses in general? It's all bright bright colours and "minimalist". I liked my old house for being full of period stuff like an old gas fireplace and wood paneling.
            throw in a bar heater as well.

great memories thanks for sharing llama.
            my childhood house was sure not minmalist i can assure you.
            how long ago did u plant the nush llama.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Nearly 20 years ago, Ive still got the cactus I grew at the same time, it's about 20 times bigger now though! Can't have enough 3 bar heaters!

Comment

I've lived in my current home since 1986. Its a 3 bedroom semi, with an attic conversion which I only use for storage. Basically inherited it in trust until I'm 35. Since my Father died last August, the current valuations I've had have been between £250,000 and £275,000. Theres an outstanding mortgage, bog standard repayment one, of about £42,000 and a Council Charge of £10,000 due to Dad having been in a Nursing Home. Part of me wants to keep it, due to the repayments only being £160.80p on the mortgage. My solicitors naturally advised I should sell it, but that deducts about £63,000 or so in liabilities such as the mortgage, council charge and solicitors/estate agents fees. £150,000 doesn't buy much these days and the flats/terraced houses I've seen for that sort of price or £20-£30K added on haven't looked nice nor been the sort of thing I felt I could want...

Then theres the current market, its a buyers market. Meaning I'd loose a lot more in selling really. And theres the fact that as a young person I'd never be in this sort of position again with an asset like this ever again...I also have to factor in my tuition fees for Uni so that does really leave me with a lot less than I'd have to play with to technically buy another place.

Estate Agents are more than happy to pester me, especially a chavvy, flash firm like Prospect which operates in the South East, their Manager really nagged me for a bit and I told him where to go....they only want their commission really...

Its easy to sell and loose a lot of money I feel. What would any of you do if you where me? Keep or sell? Ideally I'd like to keep it, release a bit of cash out of it and use said cash to pay my tuition fees/living expenses for the next 17 or so months til I graduate. Then get a job, any full time job even shop work until I could get a job in my chosen degree area of graphic design and then do the place up, including the garden so I'd be sat on something that would increase in value slowly...another reason I feel like keeping it is the area, its nice, quiet and the neighbours are good. And its slap bang less than 1/2 a mile away from Reading Town....

What to do....?

Comment

Keep it man. Whack the fees on your student loan (I presume this is how fees work?) and pay them off across your career. No point paying it all up front, you may graduate then not get a job for five years.

Interesting posts here. We moved 16 times before I left home, my Dad has lived in 20ish countries over the years. We often moved just a half mile or so, if my parents spotted an undervalued house they'd buy it and make money. Me and my bro hated moving so much as kids, but it's continued- I've had 30 houses/flats over the years (including those childhood ones). The last time we moved it was a one-street move. Indeed, as we live on a hill I can lean our our bedroom window and see our old house! Having paid £64k cash for a repo'd 3 bed house near the beach with the kids school at the bottom of the road we won't be moving before they hit high school. I'll never get such good value again! Sad tho, I don't really have a childhood home that means anything.
                  I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                    I've lived in my current home since 1986. Its a 3 bedroom semi, with an attic conversion which I only use for storage. Basically inherited it in trust until I'm 35. Since my Father died last August, the current valuations I've had have been between £250,000 and £275,000. Theres an outstanding mortgage, bog standard repayment one, of about £42,000 and a Council Charge of £10,000 due to Dad having been in a Nursing Home. Part of me wants to keep it, due to the repayments only being £160.80p on the mortgage. My solicitors naturally advised I should sell it, but that deducts about £63,000 or so in liabilities such as the mortgage, council charge and solicitors/estate agents fees. £150,000 doesn't buy much these days and the flats/terraced houses I've seen for that sort of price or £20-£30K added on haven't looked nice nor been the sort of thing I felt I could want...

Then theres the current market, its a buyers market. Meaning I'd loose a lot more in selling really. And theres the fact that as a young person I'd never be in this sort of position again with an asset like this ever again...I also have to factor in my tuition fees for Uni so that does really leave me with a lot less than I'd have to play with to technically buy another place.

Estate Agents are more than happy to pester me, especially a chavvy, flash firm like Prospect which operates in the South East, their Manager really nagged me for a bit and I told him where to go....they only want their commission really...

Its easy to sell and loose a lot of money I feel. What would any of you do if you where me? Keep or sell? Ideally I'd like to keep it, release a bit of cash out of it and use said cash to pay my tuition fees/living expenses for the next 17 or so months til I graduate. Then get a job, any full time job even shop work until I could get a job in my chosen degree area of graphic design and then do the place up, including the garden so I'd be sat on something that would increase in value slowly...another reason I feel like keeping it is the area, its nice, quiet and the neighbours are good. And its slap bang less than 1/2 a mile away from Reading Town....

What to do....?
                    Forget about how much the house is worth.
                    What is it worth to you? I bet a whole lot more than just a value and keeping it means you've got your place to live at a very recent rate.
                    If your happy and can afford to keep it then don't listen to others.
                    sigpic

Comment

yes mate id keep it.After al;l its the family home where you grew up.
                      im sure this house is priceless to you.

if you can wiork something out to keep it then i urge to do so.
                      if you sell it you could really regret it.

if it was me id keep it as it has so many memories for you. and no amount of money is worth more than them memories.

ies for you.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post

What to do....?
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

sf1378, if it were up to me I'd keep it, provided I could keep up with the morgage. Nice house in a nice area with nice people, keep it and tell those estate agents where to go. No sum of money can buy memories.

Comment

While my parents still live in the house I grew up in, I sometimes start thinking about my Gran's houses.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Llamarama View Post
                            Nearly 20 years ago, Ive still got the cactus I grew at the same time, it's about 20 times bigger now though! Can't have enough 3 bar heaters!
                            Reminds me of a photo my friend has of us as kids at her parent's house sitting next to a tiny cheese plant with two leaves. Her mother still has the plant and it is like something out of little shop of horrors! Takes up half the room!
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

We had an umbrella plant that had cuttings taken off it and were handed out to family. The one that got given to my gran grew so tall that it bent over at the top and followed the lay of the ceiling. Eventually they ended up giving it to a community centre where it could stretch its legs.

Comment

My Grandad used to go around collecting cuttings of Ivy and other plants around the town and ended up turning his fence into a hedge!

Comment

Working...
                                X