Fine Fare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fine Fare

Weren't the uniforms brown with orange piping?
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Originally posted by steveffisher View Post
      Weren't the uniforms brown with orange piping?
      That colour scheme was all the rage in the 1970s, WHS & Stockport MBC used it for their corparate colours until the 1990s.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My missus used to work at Fine Fare in the early 80's on the deli counter and she informs me she used to wear a sage green colour uniform.

I only ever remember the brown ones though.
        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Hi i think this is the type of overall fro Fine Fare in the 70,s.

Comment

Who on earth designs these uniforms for the poor staff? I reckon the Bosses get together and say"ok, if we put em in a horrid uniform it will break their confidence and they will be sumissive employees!" Well it's just a hought!

Right, WAVEY LINE - Seem to remember this as a blue "WAVEY" and underneath the word "LINE" in red and under that a wavey wriggly line! and they were mostly in shops around the south coast area? Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
              Who on earth designs these uniforms for the poor staff? I reckon the Bosses get together and say"ok, if we put em in a horrid uniform it will break their confidence and they will be sumissive employees!" Well it's just a hought!

Right, WAVEY LINE - Seem to remember this as a blue "WAVEY" and underneath the word "LINE" in red and under that a wavey wriggly line! and they were mostly in shops around the south coast area? Yes?
              yes but remember thae houses from the seventies colours and styles were not so subtle.We all seemed to have mellowed out since then.And things don't clash as much?
              sigpic

Comment

I do like the colour Orange though! but not with brown - goes better with olive green grey or black!

Comment

I remember Fine Fare and I thought I must have made up Wavy Line as a shop as it is such a stupid name but someone else has mentioned it on here too. I have memories of an advert for Mace and Wavy Line. Was it one shop or two shops run by the same company? Most of the local shops near me were Liptons. I used to like the carrier bags with the big leaf on them.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

There was Hintons too. Sort of half way between being a local shop and a supermarket. Not sure if this was just a North Eastern company. The shops appeared just after the likes of Liptons etc closed in the mid 80s but died a death in the late 80s/early 90s when all the big out of town supermarkets were built.
                    Last edited by Trickyvee; 12-01-2010, 00:00.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember 2 local Fine Fares - one in Giffnock, after it closed that place never lasted long as any particular store. The other was on Victoria Road in Glasgow, its now a Lidl - I remember there used to be a free 767 bus for pensioners that went on the 44 route but stopped at Fine Fare.

Galbraiths - that brings back memories! Cant remember where they were though

Comment

Mace, Wavy Line, VG and Spar were not shop chains as such, but sort of discount clubs that independant shopkeepers belonged to. I'm not sure how it worked, but I assume that belonging to to these would enable the shops to buy at a bigger discount in exchange for a fee or percentage of profit. I don't remember them doing own brand products apart from matches.
                        Incidentally, Spar is still going

Comment

Can anyone remember the 'my mums' brand that popped up in a lot of corner shops for a while? All the labels were bright yellow with the contents written in blue hand writing-type script. Think this was probably late 80s.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I used to go to fine fare with my parents, I think it was in Woking but could be wrong. I loved it as it had the moving travelator things like you get in airports to take you from the tills to the door.

Comment

There was a Fine Fare in Bishop Auckland near to where I was brought up. It was a huge purpose built store. When I was a kid i'd never seen a supermarket as big! I remember the 'Yellow Pack' stuff, the brown sauce in perticular for some reason. I always remember my father said it was like thick brown water in his opinion and yellow pack was a bit of a joke between me an him. It was taken over by Gateway and then Asda. Its a huge Wilkinsons now! We used to go every friday night to do the grocery shopping and I remember we had one of those huge trolly bags that when they were full it took me and my Father to lift it from the car to the house! I also remember buying 3 litre bottles of lemonade from there too. they weighed a ton to me then!
                              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by suzannewozere2 View Post
                                What about Winfield ? again part of Woolies.
                                It was a brand name of Woolworths, it disappeared all of a sudden circa mid 1980s.
                                I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X