Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fine Fare

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
    (Fine Fare Yeovil) Can't remember the Fine Fare, but I do remember the Tesco down the bottom of the town before it moved. Mainly because at Xmas it was a bit of alright in the toy department, and there was the little toyshop opposite.
    Are you referring to the big Tesco that was at the bottom of Middle Street? If so, it first opened summer 1978 and shut spring 1992 when Tesco moved to the big superstore at Huish. Wilkinson took over the resulting empty building in August 1998.

Prior to summer 1978, Tesco was where Boots is now. The ground floor of the main part was the food hall, whereas the bit next-door up (unit 37A) was Tesco wine shop. The Middle Street entrance was the same place as Boots Middle Street entrance is now, though it was different doors and shop front. As you went in the said entrance, the escalator was in front of you where it is now (albeit not the same one, it was a much older one) which led to the first floor - which is where the home 'n' wear dept was. The only staircase for customer use was the one at the front right of the building (just like Boots still has); the back one was then fire exit only, not for customer use as now. Of course the far back bit of the ground floor which is a Quedam unit didn't exist then. Do you remember that Tesco store?
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
      Can't remember the Fine Fare, but I do remember the Tesco down the bottom of the town before it moved. Mainly because at Xmas it was a bit of alright in the toy department, and there was the little toyshop opposite.
      The little toy shop opposite the said Tesco (now Wilkinson) store at the bottom of Middle Street, Yeovil was called Hockeys. I remember that little toy shop, and went in there a fair few times when I was a kid. I've no idea whether it's still there or not.
      I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

My mother used to shop at Fine Fare in Manchester back in the 70's. I think there was one in Bramhall and one in Cheadle Hulme. I had no idea that it folded up.

Comment

I didn't realise there were any Fine Fares that side of Stockport, my Mum just used the Hyde one.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

fine fare in rye lane peckham was our friday after school shopping trip (mum allways used to take me and my sister to the british home stores cafe after for a lime milkshake) the uniform was brown the walls were covered in ghastly orange tile and this may have been unique to our fine fares there was a huge mosaic on the far wall by the tills of a cartoon giraffe pushing other comic animals in a shopping trolley (that allways freaked me out)

Comment

I used to work in the IT department of FF at their head office in Welwyn Garden City. They had depots in Manchester, Nottingham, Gloucester, Maidstone and Washington (Tyne and Wear). I am sure there was another place!

They also owned Shoppers Paradise. Prices were cheaper in these stores. All products were displayed/stacked on the shelves in their transport boxes. Very basic but quick to replenish. None of the products were priced. The staff had to remember the prices of all products and were randomly checked each day.

It was not unknown for a director to stand at the door of Head Office stopping staff if they had a competitors plastic bag of shopping!

Fine fare took over Downsway - an East Anglian supermarket in about 1978.

I really enjoyed my time working for them.

Comment

Originally posted by gilliesd View Post
                I used to work in the IT department of FF at their head office in Welwyn Garden City. They had depots in Manchester, Nottingham, Gloucester, Maidstone and Washington (Tyne and Wear). I am sure there was another place!

They also owned Shoppers Paradise. Prices were cheaper in these stores. All products were displayed/stacked on the shelves in their transport boxes. Very basic but quick to replenish. None of the products were priced. The staff had to remember the prices of all products and were randomly checked each day.

It was not unknown for a director to stand at the door of Head Office stopping staff if they had a competitors plastic bag of shopping!

I remember the Shoppers Paradise in my town. Wouldn't have dared go in because it was central to the 'you're so tredgy you shop in Shoppers Paradise' type bullying at my school. I'm happy to say I love going into these types of shops today. 3 minty aeros for a pound - yes please!
                1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember the shoppers paradise in Wallington,surrey.
                  Mum and dad used to take me shopping with them every friday after school.I used to hate it at the time lol.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_Fare

Fine fare was first brought out by somerfield .Check link for full details of history etc.
                    sigpic

Comment

From TV Times 1972... save a whole £1!! most items still with us, apart from Sweetheart dessert

Comment

Re: Fine Fare i worked in fine fare h/o '78-'88 2 depots u missed weedon and stevena

Originally posted by gilliesd View Post

you missed 2 depots weedon and stevenage .. i worked in warehouse a/cs with steve walters

Comment

Love the prices on those vouchers a few pages previous - wish we had prices like that now! Mind you, I did buy a set of 4 Sainsburys Basics Pint Glasses the other day, had them scanned, the til girl said: '£1.25', I'd looked at the gauge of the glass and it was good quality, then she said 'oh, they're actually 37p !!!!'
                          They'd reduced them, I did pick them off a clearance shelf but they weren't damaged in any way, including the packaging! BARGAIN!

Comment

My parents also used to shop at MackFisheries. Apparently, Fine Fare once was ranked number 3 in terms of market share behind Tesco at 2 and Sainsburys at number 1...amazing how they disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              My parents also used to shop at MackFisheries. Apparently, Fine Fare once was ranked number 3 in terms of market share behind Tesco at 2 and Sainsburys at number 1...amazing how they disappeared.
                              If you go back a couple or three pages you would have seen my earlier post. Fine fare was first brought out by somerfield.Our somerfield stores have closed somerfield did buy Kwiksave.On 16 July 2008, it was announced that Somerfield would be acquired by the Co-Operative Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerfield
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                                If you go back a couple or three pages you would have seen my earlier post. Fine fare was first brought out by somerfield.Our somerfield stores have closed somerfield did buy Kwiksave.On 16 July 2008, it was announced that Somerfield would be acquired by the Co-Operative Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerfield
                                I did read all the pages before posting - especially your wiki link .

Comment

Working...
                                X