This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage cycling

Some years ago ( to say the least ) I yearned for a racing type bike. My parents were adamant that I shouldn't have one , anyone who's ridden along The Marylebone Road or Hyde Park Corner would probably appreciate their concerns, my safety was first and foremost I'm sure.

To cut a long story short I came into a bit of extra cash and went out and bought a Raleigh Arena, a basic bike by today's standards, five speed and seriously iffy brakes, loved it to bits, served me well, I still see one about on the streets but very rarely.

Any other happy cycling memories out there?

As a kid, I dreamed about a computer when everyone else already had it. My parents bought me an MTB, and I was forever grateful.

Comment

Running is harder on your muscles and joints compared to cycling.

Comment

When I was 17, I worked as a dishwasher and a line cook at a lake resort. And I slept in a place that was 16 miles away. I tried to make as much money as possible before the end of summer. So on my days off, I worked for an elderly couple taking care of their garden. They gave me two old bikes. One was a small decrepit MTB bike that belonged to their granddaughter. The other road bike was from the 60s, and it belonged to Mr. Earl who was over 6’7”. I am 5’7”. I still chose the retro style road bike over the MTB to ride 32 miles every day for the whole summer.

Comment

My first bike that was bought new and not handed down was a Raliegh Arena. I used to do my five paper rounds on it. I didnt live in London. Its grim oop north.

Comment

Working...
          X