Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Money and First Wage

Pocket Money and First Wage

I was given a £1 a week pocket money, and extra if I did other little jobs.

Also I would put a little message in the kitchen ''Shoes polished for 6d''.

I earned £5 a week in my first job when I left school at 15. I was allowed to keep my full first wage, then after that I was asked to give half of my wage for 'keep'. I felt so grown up and responsible doing that.

Starting with a £1 a week and earning extra for little jobs sounds like a cool way to learn about money. And your note about shoe polishing is such a creative touch! Getting your first wage at 15 and then contributing half for 'keep' does sound like a step into adulthood. By the way, while we're on the topic of financial responsibilities, have you ever considered discussing your money journey with a Mortgage Broker in Nuneaton? They could offer some insights into managing finances as you continue growing.
    Last edited by JerryUStall; 08-08-2023, 23:15.

Comment

I used to get a couple of quid (£3 roughly) on Mondays - instead of going home from school on Mondays, I used to catch the bus to the City Centre and have a look at the shops, and I used to think that this was my treat for going to school on Mondays! This was often great in November and December in the weeks before Christmas. The bus stop was almost outside the school entrance, so it was the case of waiting at the bus stop after school and getting the bus.

My form tutor asked me why I did that, and I told her that I went shopping for my mother after school - it was one of those questions that one almost feel like saying back: "mind you own business" to anyone who had asked.
      Last edited by George 1978; 09-08-2023, 12:57.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And I got 50p for mowing a neighbour's lawn once. Mind you, I was never the green-fingered type.
        Last edited by George 1978; 09-08-2023, 12:58.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I did all sorts growing up. A papers round for a couple of years that paid well (two in the summer), weeding and sweeping a supermarket parking lot on Sundays (back when they all were closed Sundays) which turned into painting the window banners with sale prices once a week (only jobs a relative ever set up for me). I went on to do signs for a couple of other supermarkets and got to making a fair bit. Other than that we collected glass bottles to return for the deposit and would buy candy or comics with that, that was real small change though.

Hardest work I ever did was my so-called summer holidays with my grandparents. They had a large garden and long fishing expeditions so it was picking and weeding and cleaning and canning the whole time. Great memories and some nice moments but also just exhausting often.
          My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
          X