Sunday teatime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunday teatime

yes i had a gran who only lived seven or eight doors up from us and on sundays is usually go up and have a few bits and pieces to eay.
    she was a good cook i remember.
    this going back to the early eighties but great memories.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sunday's for me used to be great, in the 1990s. It was a case of having our Sunday Dinner - one week at home, then the next one at Grandparents, then either way stay there the afternoon and often watch any Football Match that was one before falling a-sleep and having Tea at 3/4pm with a Triffle or a Sandwhich sometimes before with leftover meat from Lunchtime or tinned Ham or something and a Tea or Coffee.

As well an abiding memory for me right through the 1980s to the 1990s - was Last Of The Summer Wine on at any early-ish time before Sunday TV became like any other day's TV Programming. It was the same for the Antiques Roadshow or similar programmes in the afternoon/early tea-time too.

Comment

yes i forgot i watched the footy on itv around teatime something i miss.
        i think the late brian moore commentated or was it saint nd geavsie.

ans then ober to bbbc 1 for the superb last of the summer wine when it has the original cast they where the best.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          yes i forgot i watched the footy on itv around teatime something i miss.
          i think the late brian moore commentated or was it saint nd geavsie.

ans then ober to bbbc 1 for the superb last of the summer wine when it has the original cast they where the best.
          We had Regional Footy Shows too, Darren on ITV - that was early Sunday Lunchtime or just into the afternoon, but now they are on on a Monday night in a similar format on BBC1 where I am. This always got the Sunday Afternoon worthwhile - right just before Lunch. Then there was the FA Cup too often on or ITV 's Special Match in the late 80s to early 90s, in the day when Football Scheduling was not truly dicated to by TV. Great day's indeed for good Sunday Afternoon TV, unlike today now sadly, it all then made for a nice Afternoon/Tea Time in general

Comment

We done the cake or fruit and cream thing, usually while watching Holiday or Wish you were here.

Comment

Ohhh this thread makes me so happy! We always had to go to church on Sunday morning and then we always had a roast dinner followed by pie and custard after which we escaped out doors to play till we were hauled in for tea (unless my dad decided we were all going for a long walk.) If you came in too early you were stuck watching 'boring' tv shows like farming weekly and Aquarius before the better stuff came on later

Sunday teatime was always the same formula unless we had family staying. It always started off with ham or paste sandwiches and then moved on to toasted teacakes with jam purchased from the village baker the day before. If they'd run out of teacakes it was just toast or maybe crumpets for a treat. If we had people staying the sandwiches might be tinned salmon (and I always freaked out at the horrid little chips of bone in them) and there might be a bit of lettuce, hardboiled eggs, tomato and radishes too, and a wedge of cheese on the table or some celery, plus a batch of scones. Once you had eaten this (and not before) you were allowed to have a piece of cake. My mum baked a lot of iced cakes, fairy cakes, jam tarts, and buns herself (the buns were regarded as highly suspicious as they contained the dreaded mixed peel though) so we often had victoria sandwich sponges and so on but what we loved most were the chocolate coated mini rolls. Sometimes it wasn't mini rolls but one big 'family sized' one which made the meal fraught with anxiety as it was a fight to finish the teacakes with my brother to see who could claim the best bit off the end with more chocolate. Sometimes if Mum hadn't had time to bake we'd have angel cake instead (the pink, white & yellow layer stuff) or French Fancies and again if guests were staying we might have a jelly or blancmange in the old rabbit mould (and a fight for who got the head) or mandarins and evaporated milk!

I think as kids, Sunday tea was the only meal we were allowed to eat with plates on our laps as opposed to sitting at the table. After tea it was always bathtime (no shower in our council house) and then downstairs in your jimjams until bedtime with Sunday night at the London Palladium on.
              Last edited by Genie; 27-03-2012, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
              X