Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cars

About the worst trade in I can think of was some friends of the family who part exchanged their Beetle (can't remember the reg) for a brand new Yugo!?

I guess in 1984 Beetles hadn't become as collectable as they are now, & it might have needed a lot of work on it.

Cetrainly someone on my road who wasn't a collector had a fairly good looking J reg Beetle as a daily driver well into the 1980s.
    Last edited by Richard1978; 02-06-2009, 19:06.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think I remember my dad's cars with a lot more affection than he does. An Austin Cambridge automatic with a bench seat in the front the I used to sit on between him and my Grandad if the car was full (no seatbelt, we weren't such jessies in the 70s), it died of old age. Then there was a Vauxhall Victor estate he bought from my uncle (natural causes), a Vauxhall Victor 101 with - wait for it - a full length vinyl sun roof! That broke after about three uses. The car blew up just outside Basingstoke on the way to two weeks holiday in Devon so we hired a brand spanking new Ford Capri (Mk 3 I believe) in Midnight Blue. Dad broke the front bumper in a road (or car park) rage incident with one of those huge box like BMWs. A VW Camper van was next, then a Triumph 2000 automatic that got nicked an joyridden to death, but was found intact and therefore returned to its rightful owner. Yeah, big thanks Prudential. Then another Triumph 2000, but a manual one, before lapsing into his ongoing obsession with Nissan. "A-ha, you see, but it's a British car because it's made in Sunderland."

Comment

My Dad had a Ford Anglia, Vauxhall Victor, Singer Gazelle, Austin A40, to name a few, these were cars he had before I was born. He passed his test first time in a Triumph Toledo in blue....

My favourite car he had was his old MK3 Ford Cortina Estate in midnight blue.....it had so much room-especially in the back when you put the seats down.....

Great car. I think in general a lot of the old cars our parents drove were far more charming and individual than the homogenised dross we have today....

Comment

"Ahem"...some of us still drive these old cars if you dont mind....
          "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
            "Ahem"...some of us still drive these old cars if you dont mind....

Too right! At the moment I've got a 17 year old Sierra Ghia 2 litre and back in 2006 I had a couple of Rover SD1's. I only drive old cars, they've got character!

Comment

Been on here before but heres my current one...

....cheers.
              "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

The first car my hubby and I bought after we were married, and the car he would most like to have kept, was an Alfa Romeo Giulia 1300.
                It was a lovely lilac colour and we had to sell it for practical reasons. We were so sad and still are. :cry:

We replaced it with a yellow Ford Capri MK2. (I know!)
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Jensen CV 8 340 BHP - No bull! 12 miles to the gallon (if you were lucky) Man we had loads of those glasses from petrol stations!

Comment

As a kid, I always wanted a TR7 or a Lamborghini Countach. It was only last year when I found out how astronomically frightful they both were.
                    "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Working...
                    X