No announcement yet.

Sights, sounds,smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sights, sounds,smells and tastes that take you back to being a kid again

Creosote did it for me everytime as a kid,i have heard that you cant buy it anymore,not sure how true that is.
    Fresh tar,exhaust fumes,TCP,Candy Floss,Parrafin Heaters,Tinsel,Aniseed,and a brand new kays catalogue lol i hope im not the only one who used to sniff a brand new copy.

Comment

Originally posted by jimexe View Post
      Creosote did it for me everytime as a kid,i have heard that you cant buy it anymore,not sure how true that is.
      Fresh tar,exhaust fumes,TCP,Candy Floss,Parrafin Heaters,Tinsel,Aniseed,and a brand new kays catalogue lol i hope im not the only one who used to sniff a brand new copy.
      'tis true. Creosote is now considered to be carcinogenic and is no longer sold, but there are alternatives available that have a similar smell. Still, it makes me slightly worried about all of my fence climbing days in the past!

I'm with you on the new catalogue smell, but for me it was the mothercare catalogue when I was very young.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I'm with you on the new catalogue smell, but for me it was the mothercare catalogue when I was very young.
        Glad im not the only one, as soon as that brand new catalogue arrived i would spend almost an hour just inhaling the pages, does make me wonder how many times as kids we got high accidently on things without knowing ,creosote,lead paint,airfix glue,tar, we must have spent most of the 70s and 80s high without knowing it,no wonder you cant buy half the things we used to use lol

Comment

The peardrop-ish smell of nail varnish remover or marker pens still can catch my nose.

I would always try not to breath through my nose when using Copypex, as it had a horrid fishy smell.

I was worried about breathing in flux fumes in CDT when soldering, it smelled a bit like Coca-cola.

Freshly printed glossy catalogues are still common today.

Once my Dad cleaned our patio with a cleaner that smelt of sherbert, I guess it had citric acid.

Bleach & disinfectant also have a noticeable smell.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The engine fumes you used to get from those old grab-bar buses. Bristol VR's ? Nice.

Frame.
            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

My family used to have a night light that would heat up some fluid causing the room to be filled with vapours that were supposed to help sooth sore throats & blocked noses. The smell was very chemical & we stopped using it because my Mum was worried about what was in it.

My Dad has often remarked on how different town gas smelt compaired to North Sea gas.

Comment

Originally posted by jimexe View Post

I still love petrolium based smells. Apparently its due to my Gran eating pieces of tar rock when she was pregnant with my Mum or one of her Sisters...Mum my Sister and I could tolerate such pongs - my Dad obviously can't....I also remember when you'd go to an old Petrol Shed for Paraffin for the heater and the smell of Petrol would be everywhere as well as pools of oil on the ground....Petrol Sheds / Garages looked much nicer back then, individual, there'd be some branding petrol company sign and a couple of pumps but they look all bland and samey now...and no sign of a real mechanic who'd know what to do to help you if you needed it....The old Petrol Shed I remember fondly the most was Parson's Garage on Oxford Road in Reading...I used to marvel at how Dad would come back with different colours of paraffin when I'd go with him from our house just a short walk down the road....now Old Mr Parson is long dead, the garage has become an anodyne Esso....

Comment

I remember my Mum once getting some throat pastilles that tasted like creosote, which me & my brother found unpleasent.

Talking of oil, one thing you don't see as often these days are puddles with oil floating on top, making that rainbow effect. I did spot some last week for what seemed like the first time in years.

I guess cars don't leak oil as much they used to. My Dad's car once had a bad oil leak & had to spend a few days being fixed.

Comment

I was just thinking about this the other day. Puddles at the curb seemed to always have an oil rainbow. Not any more!

I also remember those horrible throat pastilles. The ones I remember were oval and red. Yuk!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember the oily puddles....lol, they don't even make puddles like they used to! Eh? Eh?!!! Tch!!!!! lol.

Comment

The smell of grass takes me back to lazy days making daisy chains and rolling down grassy banks.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

I've got many things that take me back. My Dad's shed was the best.
                          Back when I was 11 (I'm 40 now!) I got a cricket bat for my birthday, and I sealed it with linseed oil as recommended by the sports shop (Peachey Sports, Ipswich!).
                          Whilst I was doing it, I managed to spill some on the floor of my dad's shed and it soaked into the wooden floor.
                          Whenever I'm round my Mum's (Dad sadly died 13 years ago) and it's a hot day, I'll go up to Dad's shed, open the door and take a big sniff. It's a mixture of spilt linseed oil, petrol, potting compost and the smell of cut grass on the lawnmower.

Comment

We just got some liquid soap for the bathroom that says it is blueberry and tulip scented. It actually smells just like the sweetie drawers from the post office though, all the smells from those loose cola bottles, bubblygums and white chocolate mice just rush back into my head every time I use it. Best quid I ever spent in a poundshop that soap was.

Comment

The small of cut grass takes me back to summer time wen my sis and I would ride our bikes and play outside till it got dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                                The smell of grass takes me back to lazy days making daisy chains and rolling down grassy banks.
                                yes indeed i can remember doing that back in the day.

another thing that takes me back is my dad driving me around in his lada.
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X