The library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The library

Welcome to the Brave New World. I'm not particularly thrilled at the idea but the first bookless library opened in San Antonio, Texas not too long ago.
    http://nation.time.com/2013/09/13/a-...n-san-antonio/

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      spot on so many libraries have closed over here are have been threatened with it same as indeed is the the post office.

thankfully lots of books are taken out at my library always busy..
      This is so in cases (not exactly where I live Darren) but in Towns/City's near me - which in any Town/City, even though it's happening I am so so sad this is the case presently :cry:

I have always liked Library's from being young and I am still a member of my home town one and many close to my home town (easily 35 miles North, South, East and West) and I have just really (I guess never really stopped visiting them) though I don't generally go in to loan books anymore but just to see what other Services in-particular the internet when out, as loaning the books often incurred my large fines with them in time every time this happened every time I loaned them and I had paid one debt another round of them occurred. Long may they survive and continue I hope.

80sChav

Comment

sadly i cant use mine for reading as my sight is bad but so many other things have disappeared from our youth this is one of the only things to have survived and thankfully it has real books not ebooks although i dont mind them.

fact is they will go if the public dont use them.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to use the library a lot as a kid, but as I have got older I don't read as much anymore. Used to be a real regular down the archives and the library in town and at school.I did go into the library in town about 2 years ago looking for a certain subject in books and drew a blank and did not feel the people working there that helpful. They used to order books in from other library's if they did not have what you were looking for but when asked if they could do this they sort of did not want to know. They have just opened a new library in town joining onto the council offices, doubt if I will visit it. They seem to be putting the library further and further out of the town center.It's now at a part of the town that most people don't visit unless it's over council business and over a very busy road that most old people won't even try to cross.

Comment

I like my libraries but some of the people who work there are useless. The thing that really seems to get them is the online search facility. I'll often look up a book on my phone while I'm in the library to find out its shelf number. If it is not on that shelf and I go to the counter to show them my phone, which always states that the book IS in that branch, they huff and puff, look at the phone like they have never set eyes on the site before, say snootily "Well we probably haven't got it here!" like I'm an idiot, before finding that it has been shoved on the wrong shelf.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Just noticed my local library suffered budget cuts as in reduced hrs.

Anymore and it mite close.

U can get forms now to help stop its closure.

It would be a huge loss they are one of the only links to us growing up left.

This library has been in my town since before i was born.
              Books need to be saved they still have there place.

Comment

Really sad Darren cut backs with all councils.

Kindle hasnt helped I much prefer to see a book than gaget

I mean the libraries we have got computers for courses people looking for work etc

They even do talks knitting classes,childrens reading classes

Anything to try and keep them open it is sad .

Comment

this is the 2nd time we have had cuts i believe.
                  libraries are one of the only surviving links to when we grew up.

they mut be saved but lots have closed here already its budget cuts it aint the libraries fault its happening.
                  books perhaps are dying out.
                  its mainly the computers people use there not books.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                  Really sad Darren cut backs with all councils.

Kindle hasnt helped I much prefer to see a book than gaget

I mean the libraries we have got computers for courses people looking for work etc

They even do talks knitting classes,childrens reading classes

Anything to try and keep them open it is sad .

Comment

I think when the older generation are not around in the future more will close

Darren could you please empty your message folder I tried sending you a xmas message but couldnt ok thanks

Comment

When I was at secondary school in the 70's I was a librarian in the school library; totally voluntary just like being a prefect. Nowadays I still use libraries. Even though a lot of libraries are closing due to lack of use, here in Christchurch, ours has been extended into two adjacent shops, either side. Christchurch Borough Council refused renewal of the leases & sadly the newsagent & Woolwich building society branch closed to make way for the library extension

https://www.dorsetforyou.com/christchurchlibrary
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Just had a memory come flooding back of the primary school library. It was in a small dark and dingy room with no windows. The only light came from a couple of low wattage bulbs. It was located down a narrow passageway and behind two dark blue sliding doors. It was so exciting to get into that library at primary. Such a rare treat. Think I may of been allowed in there a few times in the 5 years I was at that school. The smell of the books still comes back in that place.

Comment

So many choices of books to choose from,sometimes I could be looking around for ages

Comment

my primary school library was a decent size but the one at secondary school was very big.

just the smell of the books was fantastic.

it could well be that a time will come when only schools have libraries.
                            just being in a library is like a different world.

i sure would be very upset if libaries ever go.
                            how can these places be allowed to die out they are worth keeping open a lot more than some things are.

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                            Just had a memory come flooding back of the primary school library. It was in a small dark and dingy room with no windows. The only light came from a couple of low wattage bulbs. It was located down a narrow passageway and behind two dark blue sliding doors. It was so exciting to get into that library at primary. Such a rare treat. Think I may of been allowed in there a few times in the 5 years I was at that school. The smell of the books still comes back in that place.

Comment

Working...
                            X