Anyone remember The Krankies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if theres one act i couldn't stand it was the krankies
    Without music, life is a journey through a desert.

Comment

Something slighty sinister about the Krankies to me ;(

Comment

Never a big fan of The Krankies but Janette was quite funny when she did cameo roles in dinnerladies and Ab Fab

Comment

I saw them this morning on a re-run of Its a Knockout with Stu ' I could crush a grape' Francis......omg were they really that bad, oh yes they were, but didn't we all still watch Crackerjack?

Comment

"Crackerjack" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where's my crackerjack pencil?

Comment

I wanted to go on there, never got to though, and cabbages, do you remember the cabbages too?

Comment

Hi all!!!

I remember Crackerjack and the Cabbages..My mate Coln was forced by his mum to take his wee Brother to see The Krankies at Adam Smith Theatre in Kirkcaldy in the mid 80's.. He says he hated it..lol.. (you are not allowed to mention this in his presence to this day!!) was never a fan of them myself..they were just annoying but I do believe they would be lovely people and im sorry to hear that 'Wee Jimmy' was badly hurt in an Accident..hope she gets well soon..

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Fife
                Scotland

Comment

Yes they probably are a lovely couple, just a shame their, erm party piece creapt out of the door onto tv screens, feel sorry for your mate Colin's wee brother mind you.

Comment

Re: Anyone remember The Krankies?

fan dabby dozi could remember them on crakajack and i'm sure they used to appear on the little and large show too sometimes.
                    "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

Yes I remember them, came as a bit of a shock when you find out He's a She, and not only that, They are married.Bit of a mind blower at the age of 8 lol.
                      Heather

Comment

I remember Jimmy Clitheroe who did the same act 25 years earlier
                        The eyes have it!
                        sigpic

Comment

I have had the pleasure over the years of meeting the Krankies, not just in the theatres but also at social events for charity. The last time I spoke to them they were at the Darlington Civic Theatre. In Pantomime, The time be for that was in Blackpool 2005 if I remember. They were with Stu Francis, Susan Maughn, Alan Randle and a few more that I can't remember. That show was on the North Pier Blackpool. I have also seen them in Great Yarmouth now that was a lot of years ago for the first time I think that was back in 1980. Now that date maybe wrong. A lot of dates and a lot of shows I have seen.
                          Bernie.

Comment

I last saw Jimmy Clitheroe, in Scarborough in 1967 in summer season at the Floral Hall. You are correct in saying that the Krankies are doing an act near to the same as Jimmy Clitherio. By that I mean Jimmy on both counts come down the auditorium to enter the stage. J.C., makes his entrance when his straight man requests a volunteer from the audience to help him with a magic trick, he then messes up that trick. Janet comes down making a disturbance looking for her mother ( she is dresses like J.C., as a schoolboy). Janet makes a mess of the act as J.C., does and yes both do the vent sketch at the end of that piece of the show. I believe J.C., did that sketch as a vent in about 1945 with the late Alan Randal. The very last time I saw him was in 1973 but he was not alive then. You see both acts were similar but not really the same. The Krankies updated the sketch to try and make it as much as their own and to the time i.e. today. The same as J.C., did in the 1940s and 1960s, comedy is a difficult area to work not just for the writer but also for the performer. What you see funny I may not, but then again we both may have the same type of humour. Over the years I have collected comedy not just the modern stuff but also I collect the real old stuff i.e. 1890's up wards. Yes they were recording in the 1890s. Again this is a very interesting subject the recordings. If you look into the history of recordings you will find out a number of things that would open your eyes. For example did you know to try and sell their own recordings and keep their own customers, one company used to make it so the only way that you can listen to your recording was to purchase their own machine. That machine would play at 300, and would start in the centre of the record and go anticlockwise. It sounds strange but it did happen. I know I have gone from the subject a little, but I think there is no real such thing in comedy as new somehow it has or could have been done before. Let's hear or read what you think.

Comment

Interesting stuff Bernard. I saw Jimmy C in Rhyll around the mid 60's, i think ,towards the end of his carreer so his side kick did most of the slapstick( cant remember his name but ha d thick curly hair) was his catch phrase not "where's me shirt"? ( or was that Ken Dodd?) Sunday at me Grans was always Round the Horne and the Clitheroe Kid, very funny at the time and RTH still funny today when I hear the tribute shows. Kenneth Williams was as camp as any Graham Norton and 10 times as talented. So maybe your right comedy does go round only less use of the F word in those days.
                              The eyes have it!
                              sigpic

Comment

A lot of years have gone by Pedro, since I saw Jimmy. His side kick is still alive and well but a little old. Funny thing just before Christmas I was emailed by a couple of authors writing a book on Jimmy. It has took them about four years I believe to research the book, they inform me that they have just started to put it all together. So if you keep your eyes open in the future you will be able to get the book. Jimmy was a small man about 4ft 5in. He was also very interested in the Y.M.C.A. & W.M.C.A., in fact they were one of his favourite charities. I still miss his smiling face and cheeky comments. Must close now. Enjoy the recordings he left us, the B.B.C. 7 have just finished a season of his shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X