RIP Gwyneth Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Gwyneth Powell

Gwyneth Powell who played Mrs McCluskey in Grange Hill passed away last Thursday aged 76.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Ironically enough (for obvious reasons), I thought she was the "Queen" of Grange Hill back in the 1980s, although she was a lot more like the Margaret Thatcher of GH instead. Interesting that she was only her mid 40s when McClusky decided to take "early retirement" from the series in 1991 - saying that, I preferred the more conservative pre-merger version of Bridget, around the time when Gripper was suspended in 1983. She was the first GH character to do a full decade on the show as well as making more appearances than any other female cast member.

I am almost certain that she had a stint in Emmerdale Farm (when it did have the word "Farm" in the title), and also Coronation Street in the mid 1970s - something to do with Ken Barlow when he was living in Elsie Tanner's house (number 11)? I don't think that they were like that if you know what I mean, but I seem to remember reading one of the unofficial CS websites that mentioned she was in it.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I must say this really is sad to hear.
      A person who is only well known to those of a certain age who wattched a certain programme .
      R i p gwyneth.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I have just found out that she did indeed die on the same day as the Queen. Ironic.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Didn't find out until 4 days later, RIP Gwyneth
          DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
            Didn't find out until 4 days later, RIP Gwyneth
            Yes, it wasn't until Monday afternoon when it had appeared on the BBC's Entertainment pages. I assume that the news coverage of the Queen's death had put the announcement on the back burner for a couple of days (I nearly said "buried it" but that seems inappropriate at this moment in time).
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              Ironically enough (for obvious reasons), I thought she was the "Queen" of Grange Hill back in the 1980s, although she was a lot more like the Margaret Thatcher of GH instead. Interesting that she was only her mid 40s when McClusky decided to take "early retirement" from the series in 1991 - saying that, I preferred the more conservative pre-merger version of Bridget, around the time when Gripper was suspended in 1983. She was the first GH character to do a full decade on the show as well as making more appearances than any other female cast member.

I am almost certain that she had a stint in Emmerdale Farm (when it did have the word "Farm" in the title), and also Coronation Street in the mid 1970s - something to do with Ken Barlow when he was living in Elsie Tanner's house (number 11)? I don't think that they were like that if you know what I mean, but I seem to remember reading one of the unofficial CS websites that mentioned she was in it.
              True George, I agree though Mrs McCklushy was the "Queen of Grange Hill" and the fans version of Bet Gilroy from Corrie for GH

Now a vast majority of all the best characters from the generattion of Mrs McCklsky appear to be passing away sadly

An amaing fact - as a Teacher character mMrs McClusky only just scrapped in to make 3rd lonest serving character after

1 Mr Robson (16 years 1988 to 2004 - though he was'nt seen on screen) in Series 27

and

Mr Hankin 1990 to 29002 (12 Series) though admitted he was'nt in large chunks of a fair few series'

RIP Gwyneth

Comment

Working...
              X