RIP Tony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tony Bennett

I was sorry to read about the death of Tony Bennett at the age of 96 - he was right up there with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. Certainly, he was comparable with Sinatra.

I didn't have any plans to start this thread, although as a tribute, I thought that I would add something amusing as a tribute to the man himself: a few years ago, I was looking at the CD albums in HMV when I came across a particular one on the shelf. You know how HMV covers the top right-hand corner of the CD album cover a bit like a postage stamp with a (thankfully) removable sticker which usually has the HMV name; a description of the album; the price and the barcode? Well. in this case, the male singer's name was at the top, and sticker had obscured the final three letters of his surname, turning the name on the front into TONY BENN.

I was taken aback at the time, as the late Labour MP had no foray whatsoever into being a singer and had never plans to do so, what with his Bristol and later Chesterfield constituency duties, and he certainly wasn't American, and it took me a few seconds to realise that BENN was actually BENNETT, and not Gordon Bennett either! Amazing how the HMV sticker turned someone's familiar name into someone else's, although no doubt that the other man wasn't too familiar in his native United States, Labour or Labor. [sic]

And Bennett was singing almost to the very end - what a great man.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Tony was'nt my Cup of Tea musical-wise but he was a great genius who spanned many generations with variants of much Music - stretching right from Rat Pack Type Stuff to duets with Lady Ga Ga

A vastly talented singer who deserves so much respect for what he has done in Music if he is liked or not

RIP Tony Bennett

Comment

The best even Sinatra was in awe

Comment

Working...
      X