RIP Bill Kenwright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Bill Kenwright

Acclaimed West End theatre and film producer Bill Kenwright, has died at the age of 78 - I suppose that he was partly responsible for my revised interest in theatre musicals in the past decade when I saw Dreamboats and Miniskirts at the Congress Theatre in Eastbourne in 2014 (in which my thread on watching musicals at the theatre gives more details). He was also chairman of Everton football club and had made occasional appearances as Gordon Clegg (Betty "Hotpot" Turpin/Williams' son) in Coronation Street, and made an appearance in 1995 at his screen mother's wedding to Billy Williams who she met again for the first time in 50 years when he visited the Rovers Return during the VE Day anniversary in May 1995, and also giving Betty a storyline for the first time in years apart from just serving pints and hotpots.

I have quite liked a lot of Kenwright's stuff as it made great theatre entertainment and a lot of it really stood quite well in the theatre; the productions such as Dreamboats were not as massive like Grease or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, but ticket sales proved that he certainly knew what the punters wanted. The fact that he worked behind the scenes proved that what he was crafted to do was really appreciated.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Sad news rip bill.

I must say i never knew he was involved in so may other things as george says.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I loved Bill as Betty's Son on Coronation Street ... in-fact he was almost like her Dad in a way (being the "voice of reason to her) or trying to be I recall

Never mind Bill's part on Corrie though he was a true legend anda proper Football gentleman Chairman - un-like many of them these days

RIP Bill Kenwright

Comment

Working...
      X