School yard games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School yard games

We used to play a version of 'killer' i.e. throwing balls at people up against the wall.

The only thing that I remember really though about break times in secondary school was that we used to have huge football games with the 'forms' or tutor groups as teams. However, actual footballs were banned and so we had to play with a tennis ball!!! I loved it because I was pretty good....

Comment

Did anyone play 'the farmer wants a wife' where if you were the bone you got seven bells knocked out of you at the end?

I remember the levitation craze too. We'd chant "this is the house of levitation" over and over while hoisting someone up until they supposedly hovered. It somehow got out of hand though. People started cutting themselves to bleed for added effect, then there was talk of possessions and then someone drew a ouija board in the yard and everything got banned!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Oggy View Post
        And Pileup, where someone just shouted Pileup! and everyone close enough would jump on top of the poor victim.
        I remember this well, only I recall it as 'Bundle!'
        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I remember group skipping, where someone would swing a skipping rope in a circle holding just one handle. A few others would try to jump it as it passed. I remember it got banned after someone was whacked by the other handle at the end of the rope.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

When i was in primary school,i remember we all played in the school yard.We played the usual small games like marbles,top trumps,football.Girls would play tip,hopskotch and that crazy string on the hands game etc.
            When we all went to secondary school,we all realised pretty quickly,that noone played games in the school yard or on the school field,because school bullies would steal or break their games.punch or trip up girls playing hopskotch and tip etc.Teacher's would take the games away from pupils a lot in our secondary school,and humiliate the children by making them stand in the middle of the yard,while the teachers bellowed around at how childish they all were playing games primary school children should only be playing.

Comment

The transition between junior school and high school really sticks in my mind. Over that summer holiday the days of innocent fun and games had gone, replaced with wearing a uniform and being sent to a huge, scary building full of people who were like men and women. Makes me laugh when I think that they were only 14 or 15, but to me they were impossibly huge and grown up! Even the people who had left my primary school the year before me suddenly seemed to have grown a foot taller and bigger. I felt quite sad about this, but secretly couldn't wait to undergo the transformation myself!

Being 11 or 12 is a difficult age though, because you still want to 'play'. We had to make do with inventing games focused on running around a concrete flower bed and jumping across concrete squares in the yard during play time, which now, to our horror, was called 'break'.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember there was always a large number of boys trying to have a game of football most lunchtimes at secondary school.

When I first started primary school the top class seemed really big (I hardly knew anyone 10-11 at the time) & almost the same when starting at secondary school.

Of course when in my last years at both schools the youngest looks really tiny, I remember joking at secondary school about accidently knocking over 1st years because they were below my field of vision when walking around.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

yeah it wasn't long before I was the scary big person, striding along the corridors and terrifying the first years, who looked about 8 lol.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

we had a massive banking at my junior school, the game was to get to the top whilst dodging the 'guards' trying there best to catch you and throw or roll you back down.
                    Another game was a variant on tig, we used to call it 'feet off ground tig' the idea was that someone was 'on' and had to tig you,
                    you could shelter by finding a place where you could sit and lift your feet up and shout "feet off ground" you could only do this for 30 seconds at a time.
                    i use the word seconds casually, we used to try to count to 30 as fast as we could. The person who tigged you could not be tigged back by you
                    , it was a rule called 'cant tig your own butcher' which i've no idea why the word butcher was used.

Bugs injection, this game was played at all times unless the teacher was in the class, if a person not liked much brushed up against you at any time in the corridors then you would touch the nearest person on the arm then shout 'bugs' then immediately mime giving yourself a vaccination and shout 'injection' meaning the touch couldnt be passed back to you. you could also shout bugs at random as long as you could pass it on. A bit cruel sometimes.

Comment

What did you do in the playground?

There are a number of threads on here about playground games etc. But not all of us were very good at joining in. I thought it might be a nice idea to find out what some of us did during playtime. If you didn't join in the football game, what did you do? Did you hold the dinner lady's hand and walk around with her? Did you stand by the old oak tree and chat with your friends? Did you hide in the bushes at the end of the playground?

How did we spend our break times?

Comment

Re: What did you do in the playground?

was not really into palsy ground games.
                        not that good TBH.

id rather try and climb trees,sit under the trees when it was a real warm day.
                        run around the big field we had when in primary school.

its still there as well.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

At one point holiding the dinner ladies hand was really popular and all the dinner ladies would be trooping around with a crowd of girls holding onto their arms. Ofcourse we all had our favourite dinner lady that we never deviated from. Mine was Mrs Dunn. I liked her because she always had mints for us.

Sometimes I'd bring my farm animals in and I'd set up a minature farm in between the roses bushes at the back of the yard. I remember one time my friend and I decided it should have a duck pond, but the only way we could get water there was to repeatedly fill our mouths at the drinking fountain and then spit it out at the farm! Disgusting but we did it lol.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            ...my friend and I decided it should have a duck pond, but the only way we could get water there was to repeatedly fill our mouths at the drinking fountain and then spit it out at the farm! Disgusting but we did it lol.
                            That's brilliant!

Comment

I always stayed away from the dinnerladies and teachers. I was also the kind of person who was picked last for football teams so I tended not to do that unless I had to.

Other than that, pretty much did everything else - playing games, sitting under trees. I remember a couple of times finding out that other people stayed indoors in classrooms. Not strictly allowed but was given tacit permission by individual teachers.

I also remember a period where a girl in some year below me kept giving me love letters. It stopped when I went to secondary school, only for her friends to turn up on my doorstep three years later asking me out.

I hope she wasn't traumatised by my decline too much. Three years is a long time to have a crush.

Comment

Well,there were never teachers or dinner ladies in our playground,we were just left to get on with it!We played circle games,don't ask me what they were called,cos I can't remember,all I remember was uttering the words "tra la la la boom!"We skipped and played elastics,kiss cuddle and torture,hunts,red rover etc and robots.At high school I hug about at the gate with my mates and we lunched with the social ed teachers for some reason!

tulip

Comment

Working...
                                X