Playground Rumours and Myths.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Playground Rumours and Myths.

When I was at junior school, there would regularly be a panic amongst the kids that a gang of skinheads or punks were going to show up at the gates and 'duff up' anyone they could catch at leaving time. Never happened, of course, but it never stopped us from getting a bad case of the heebeejeebies whenever the rumour started circulating again.

Comment

Oh - and speaking of 'duffing up': at junior school in the late 70s, there were quite a few Bruce Lee & martial arts myths that no-one saw fit to call out as a load of old toot. The first was that Bruce Lee was killed by an aspirin. Apparently, his body was so fit and pure, when he took an aspirin for a headache it killed him, because his super-pure body couldn't handle the chemical overload. The other was that if you got a black belt in karate or judo or whatever, the government would award you a literal license to kill, which meant you could kill anyone you liked with your mad fighting skillz, and not have to go to prison for it.

Comment

We had loads of playground myths and rumours both at primary and secondary.
        A couple from my secondary school were quite interesting. The first was of the secret tunnel that was supposed to join the old boys school with the old girls school. Many a pupil tried to find them and failed.
        The other myth was of the ghostly janitor who used to float along the corridor cleaning the windows. Again I never heard of anybody seeing him.
        First day of secondary we were all told by the second year students that the last year pupils hated the new starters and would throw them down the hill by the tennis courts. Well in the end we took to throwing ourselves down the hill as it was fun anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmAndSheldon View Post
          When I was at junior school, there would regularly be a panic amongst the kids that a gang of skinheads or punks were going to show up at the gates and 'duff up' anyone they could catch at leaving time. Never happened, of course, but it never stopped us from getting a bad case of the heebeejeebies whenever the rumour started circulating again.
          This seemed to circulate in various forms. One being a gang of older boys from outside the area were looking for one or two kids. The rumour being that the kid(s) they were looking for had gone to the place they were from, told the police about an incident they had seen, and one of their friends was now in prison. The rumour's end was, if they grab hold of you, and you don't tell them who it was, you would have a real beating. It never happened, but there was a lot of worried kids going home for several weeks afterwards.
          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

If the ice cream van is coming playing it's tune then he has sold out of ice cream lol
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

there used to be a rumour about the boiler room being haunted. i used to go in on the odd occasion to get the janitor if anything was broken or if he was needed. i tried telling people that it wasn't spooky, but nobody would dare to venture inside.

Comment

Our boiler room was designated as a snogging zone lol
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Par the usual Boyfriend/Girlfriend made up story all my 3 (2 Comps and 1 Primary hardly had any Rumours/Myths from my recollection) unless the age of 40 is showing, though I can't see this playing a part in it really if I am honest - but most of the goings on in as Playground at all 3 was really tame and nothing bad (regardless of my first Secondary being the utter dive it was and full of mass evil characters it was)

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                    I can remember her avoiding Mars bars and then eggs when Edwina said they would give us all salmonella. Now she doesn't eat beef because of possible CJD.
                    I think that anyone who was at school in 1988-1989, especially at Junior School, they got the playground rumours about eggs being poisonous because of the salmonella spreading as Edwina Currie said at the time. Who didn't?

Other rumours as I said before was that the Headteacher had a cane and would use it if anyone was sent to him, as well as the rumour that he was related to someone famous.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Don't eat yellow snow as it will make you sick
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Don't eat yellow snow as it will make you sick
                        If it's yellow snow then I would recommend using a toilet instead.
                        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The Werewolf of Keston was a rumour that went around at my primary school. At secondary school the major one was The Chelsea Smilers. Used to terrify us. Lol

Comment

When you dropped a sweet or something on the ground, if you picked it up quick, kissed it and showed it to heaven (raised it above your head) it was ok to eat.
                            Remember seeing kids do this even when it fell in a puddlle

Comment

Working...
                            X