Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

    It was probably what in Today's Currency that would be translated as Citizenship! In those day's at my School PSE meant Personal and Social education and I think we got that lesson twice a week at my first Comp and once at the 2nd one I attended

    Am I alone in my School's having this lesson in the late 80s to early 90s?

    80sChav

  • #2
    Re: PSE - was I alonbe in having this subject

    I had PSE lessons at my secondary school from 1989 to 1994.
    The Trickster On The Roof

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PSE - was I alonbe in having this subject

      Sex-ed should have included relationships as well as just sex (with two rabbits in the film they showed us lol)
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

        Yes, I had PSE from Year 10 onwards on Monday mornings just before lunch - wouldn't have minded more than one lesson of it in the week. I think they call it PSHE now, and whether it is the same as Citizenship or not is debateable.

        I remember the room had posters that showed people in certain jobs, and ones for health and medical ones that you probably see in doctors' waiting rooms.

        We had the careers officer in sometimes, and even a police officer to talk about crime prevention.

        I am certain that sex education was covered at my school as part of science rather than PSE because of the biology part of it.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

          Sex education was taught in Biology lessons in secondary in this area (late 70's early 80's).

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

            It was PHSE at my secondary school. Endless political correctness and left-wing inspired sociological ideology.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

              Originally posted by Arran View Post
              It was PHSE at my secondary school. Endless political correctness and left-wing inspired sociological ideology.
              It's either that or put up with Mary Whitehouse style bible bashers.
              The Trickster On The Roof

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

                Funny - rubbish as my first school was .... PSE was mandatory for each year but at my 2nd school, as good as it was school-wise, we only got PSE in Years 10 and 11 lol

                I have never managed to truly figure that one out - as to me it is 2day's version of Citizenship Classes (in a fair few aspects) and so is well important as a result

                80sChav

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

                  I am not sure whether it was part of PSE or Drama, but we had a theatre group visit the school to do something about sex education and AIDS, with actors who weren't out of school themselves for very long doing adult-like performances, and I think that a dummy (a mannequin not a baby's) was used to represent a person who was... you know.

                  One funny thing about it was that a girl in our form was sitting at the front and one of the male cast members was doing a rude gesture, almost as if he was doing it straight at her, which prompted one of the boys at the back to comment on it.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: PSE - was I alone in having this subject?

                    Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                    Sex education was taught in Biology lessons in secondary in this area (late 70's early 80's).
                    And I got 51% (a Grade C) in my mock exam Biology paper which is ironic considering my difficulties when it comes to "reproduction" - 51% is closer to 100% than 0%. Mind you, I am still in touch with my Biology teacher now and again.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes - but only in Years 8 and 9 - 1992-94. It wasn't an "option" for GCSE. One lesson a week (50 minute slot).

                      I remember a bit of skirting around the subject of Sex Education. But also other bits and pieces, including first aid training - gaining a "St. John's Ambulance Two Cross Award" certificate, after we had to demonstrate resuscitation, bandaging etc on a life sized dummy. Also quite a lot of "discussion" rather than written work on which we were assessed. Ours was a pretty big school in terms of attendees, and in Year 9 my class actually had the head of school as the teacher. Which was quite an anomaly, given he was only timetabled to teach for around eight hours a week, and his primary subject was physics.

                      We used to be split into a smaller group than for usual lessons - about fifteen rather than upwards of twenty five. I also remember an A2 sized poster in that particular classroom with a picture of a public toilet (in somewhere like a hospital / supermarket / similar setting) with the following tagline: "Some Kids Will Tell You It's A Breeding Ground For Aids. Smart Kids Will Tell You It's Just A Toilet Seat".
                      Last edited by Big Tim; 26-03-2021, 21:16.

                      Comment


                      • #12

                        Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
                        Yes - but only in Years 8 and 9 - 1992-94. It wasn't an "option" for GCSE. One lesson a week (50 minute slot).

                        I remember a bit of skirting around the subject of Sex Education. But also other bits and pieces, including first aid training - gaining a "St. John's Ambulance Two Cross Award" certificate, after we had to demonstrate resuscitation, bandaging etc on a life sized dummy. Also quite a lot of "discussion" rather than written work on which we were assessed. Ours was a pretty big school in terms of attendees, and in Year 9 my class actually had the head of school as the teacher. Which was quite an anomaly, given he was only timetabled to teach for around eight hours a week, and his primary subject was physics.

                        We used to be split into a smaller group than for usual lessons - about fifteen rather than upwards of twenty five. I also remember an A2 sized poster in that particular classroom with a picture of a public toilet (in somewhere like a hospital / supermarket / similar setting) with the following tagline: "Some Kids Will Tell You It's A Breeding Ground For Aids. Smart Kids Will Tell You It's Just A Toilet Seat". Today when I have my own kids I want them to be better at Chemistry and Physics and buy them these kits. They are more waiting for the kits than for NY and their birthdays
                        SE was one of my favourite subjects at school taking into account how important that knowledge turned out later.
                        Last edited by DemetriusVVV; 13-06-2021, 20:35.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X