Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Bags

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
    I was spared the school cap. It was phased out around 1969 when I went to secondary school.

Just as well really as this garment would have been snatched off heads and ground underfoot in no time.
    We still wore them for a year or two in the early 70's , sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      Re: School Bags

Did anyone carry a briefcase to school for their homework books and all that? I didn't (wasn't posh enough), but I suppose it wasn't really practical for PE Kits or cookery ingredients.

I am certain that some lad did, and he had a lot of stick for doing so.
      Matthew Pearson from Grange Hill it was George mate!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        Matthew Pearson from Grange Hill it was George mate!
        He did indeed - and it reminded me of that book by Gene Kemp that we read in English lessons - Gowie Corby Plays Chicken; the indirect sequel to The Turblent Term of Tyke Tiler. The name "Cricklepit Combined School" comes to mind here - a school which is based on where Kemp worked as a teacher in the 1960s and 1970s.

One pupil, Jonathan Johns, had his own briefcase crammed with different coloured pens (including a greeny-jade-coloured one). Corby got his own back on him by gluing (or even supergluing) the suitcase shut. Sounded satisfying, but at the end of the day, one cannot condone criminal damage and bullying in our schools, can we now?
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X