School dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School dinners

I hope times have changed, as Dinner Ladies used to be the schoolboys nemesis..
    maybe they got a better press after Victoria Woods great series

Comment

:cry: aww i'm sweet really, honest.
      Heather

Comment

As I only ever had School dinner twice in my life, once in Infants and Once in Seniors, I cannot say.
        My whole concept of Dinner ladies is entirely shaped by reading too much Whizzer & Chips and The Beano

Comment

Heather

Comment

Too be fair.. that still is the concept..handed down from generation to generation..The whole thing must come from the times BEFORE fast food, so these meals were made on a massive scale.
            hence the skin on custard, the prevalance of Semolina and other "quick" desserts.. arctic Roll always seemed to be on the list.
            Once McDonalds got a hold, I'm sure things must have changed..either for the better (flavour wise) or worse (dietry wise)

Comment

I was told to try and push the fruit and veg, but the kids just dont want it! an apple or a bowl of cake and custard....
              Heather

Comment

They used to feed us mash and tinned tomatoes with dried up sausages ,which looked like they'd been made by a stray dog.Happy days : )

Comment

ugh!

Comment

I used to quite like my school dinners and the ladies always asked if we wanted seconds....One day, the headmistress sat on our table and asked ho wanted seconds and I very politely said Ohh yes please Miss Hall !
                    She then promptly scraped all her leftovers onto my plate and sat and watched me eat it !! It nearly choked me, but I couldn't leave it cos I'd asked for it !!

Then there was the time I had a caterpillar in my mouth from a school dinner sprout.......'

Never eaten a sprout since
                    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

At Infant/Junior school I was more of a "packed lunch" person (sarnies, rancheros or quavers, a penguin or bandit and an apple) but did have school dinners on a few occasions. I remember the glasses they used for our water where we'd always look at the bottom to see what number was on it (all different). they trialled new trays at our school, where they basically did away with plates (to stop breakages I guess) and just served the food into the special compartments. This meant that they dished up your dinner and afters in one go so by the time you got to your Semolina or apple crumble it was cold.

I was once sitting in the long queue for dinner on one of my birthdays (when in infants) and my mum turned up! I was supposed to have gone home for lunch but had forgotten so she had come to collect me, how embarrassing!

When I did go home for lunch it was mainly Mince pie and mash while watching Mr and Mrs.

Senior school - I again had packed lunches but did have school dinners sometimes. Although by then it consisted of sausage roll, chips and beans and a cup of "mix" which was both Coke and Tizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                        They trialled new trays at our school, where they basically did away with plates (to stop breakages I guess) and just served the food into the special compartments.
                        The trial must have proved cost effective, as they still use them today
                        Heather

Comment

In junior school we also had the trays that had different compartments,one for your dinner one for your pudding and one to hold your beaker in.
                          They were like the ones you get in prison (i think) except the school ones were made out of plastic not metal.

My favorite school dinner would have to of been Potato hash with loads of red cabbage and beetroot followed by Sponge cake and custard...
                          My worst dinner would of been Chips (heated up) Fish fingers (floppy and grey fish,bright orange breadcrumbs) and Bullet Peas........
                          sigpic

Comment

Who remembers Mint Custard? yum yum....drool
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                              Who remembers Mint Custard? yum yum....drool
                              Mint custard with school made chocolate cake DELICIOUS............
                              sigpic

Comment

Semolina and Rice Pudding yum yum, with Rose Hip Syrup.

Butterscotch tart!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X