School dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School dinners

Used to love school made Cottage Pie - yummy!
    ...and for pud, concrete pudding and custard (if you could catch the pud before it flirted off the plate as you stabbed at it with the fork !!)
    Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
    <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

cheese flan in secondary....yum!!! and any pudding in primary!!! oh and cod roll! mmmm
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ariesangel1985 View Post
        cheese flan in secondary....yum!!! and any pudding in primary!!! oh and cod roll! mmmm

mmmmmmmmmmm The only time I have every known Lindsay to eat fish!!!
        sigpic

Comment

! doubt there was much fish in it tho mum, prob just fillers!
          sigpic

Comment

Fishfingers chips & peas yummy

mince/chilli type affair with fried bread cut into triangles.....lovely

pud....any sponge pud, esp the 3-colour one (green, yellow,pink...does it have a name?) with pink custard.......scrummy!
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Only had school dinners a few times as I has a packed lunch kind of kid. I remember our school did a horrid lemon custard. You couldn't tell it was the lemon one until you tasted it as it smelled of nothing. Many a good pud ruined.

Fav pud - apple and blackberry slice.
              Used to love school jacket spuds to.
              Last edited by Heather74; 14-02-2008, 15:13.
              Laugh and the world laughs with you.
              But do it all the time and they will lock you away.
              sigpic

Comment

does anyone remember what they called 'shaving cream' in the seventies.????.....it was served with a pudding/dessert and was delicious!! never seen it since.....ohhhhh!!

Comment

School in England we used to have lots and lots of Brown stuff.
                  I never knew the name of any of it, oh also dry white bread, which everyone ate with a knife and folk

But that was Heaven compared to

School in Ireland for lunch we had a small bottle of milk and a current bun delivered by...the current bun man in a black bin liner in the playground...it was grim. On my first day there I asked the bin bag man "please sir, can I have some more" and he said "as it's your first day you can have another (stale) bun" gee thanks
                  And everyday we ate in the playground.
                  Last edited by Monkey Tennis; 18-02-2008, 00:34.
                  I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

I remember Spanish meatballs in a bright orange coloured sauce and chicken pilaf which contained peanuts - couldn't do that now!- and those of us that had school dinners loved these two meals.
                    We also had a cornflake cake which seemed to be made with condensed milk and cornflakes but sadly no-one appears to have a recipe for it. I do make butterscotch tart from a school recipe that I got from a friend who used to be a dinner lady. YUM!

Comment

Back again!! Just seen the one on shaving cream. We had that with the butterscotch tart. Apparently you can make it with evaporated milk, although I think you have to boil the tin first!!??

Comment

When I was a kid all I got for dinner in my lunchbox was something like a carrot or rotten apple

Comment

I can remember having semolina at primary school and refusing to eat it - the headmistress slapped me! Needless to say my Mum had words with her! She said she thought I was trying it on! I still refuse semolina and tapioca now - just off to the lav to throw up

My fave's were jam rolypoly and custard & chocolate 'concrete' and mint custard (Heather, I think that may be a potteries thing!). Always had a thing for puddings - I still have!! I went out with a friend last week and couldn't resist the chocolate chip pudding and custard (it was delicious too!!)
                          Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn....

Comment

Mint custard!

Comment

Oh dont knock it until you have tried it, It was to die for, *drool* Bring it back!
                              Heather

Comment

Very rare;y had school dinners - I was a packed lunch boy. We were treated like scum! The hot dinners always got to go in first, then we were made to sit in the back of the room. I'll always remember a big metal jug of water with multi coloured plastic beakers stacked next to it. The water ALWAYS had bit of "something" floating in it.
                                Everyday I had a "Hi!" juice box which me and my friend always compared flavours and dates....oh what a day when both matched! Also used to collect banana stickers which was stuck around my lunch box.

It was always a game to try and avoid the dinner ladies if you were last or near to last, they'd always make you help to put the chairs up!

Comment

Working...
                                X