School dinners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School dinners

Mint custard - drooling at the mouth at the thought.....

No good if you don't like custard though (you could close your eyes and pretend it's mint angel delight but thicker!!
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn....

Comment

Hello I'm new here.

Am I the only one who was force fed pilchards? YEuck!

Also remember a jam sponge pudding with coconut flakes on top. Custard on top. yum yum.

Used to always do a Jam Tart which was about an inch thick with Jam.

Ooh those were the days.

Comment

Was mine the only school that served Curried eggs ?..... Oddly delicious!
        Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door!

Comment

I remember we had a pizza which wasn't 'pizza shaped' but looked like a brick. lol
          Believe it or not, we had my favourite, Alphabites. One naughty student got told off by one of the teachers for spelling P-O-O with them. HA HA!
          One summer, instead of the usual glass of water, we were treated to a milkshake and a lolly for dessert, Max the Lion, anyone remember it? It was a bit like Wall's Feast.
          Another dessert I recall was a cupcake with a splodge of jam on top. One student mistook the jammy splodge for a cherry and refused to eat it.

Comment

Dinner bell

I remember infants or junior school dinner times, the table you sat at, if you were lucky had either a jug of water or some sort of milkshake business going on in a copper coloured jug,maybe it was different down here in deliverence country
            Last edited by Heather74; 13-01-2009, 21:38.
            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

only thing that really sticks in my mind about school dinners is "the salt"
              after the main course would be the pudding, usually custard with sponge
              can't remember how it started, but we used to take turns at getting
              someone to look the other way, while we put salt over thier desert, an kill
              ourselves laffing at the result.

strange it was never as funny when it was your pudding that was covered in salt

LOL those were the days
              DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz View Post
                Best ever school dinners were

Spam fritters, mash and tinned tomatoes

Noooo they were the worst!
                One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                  We played this to momma,it was a bit like a skipping game, to determine your out come in life.
                  Will I marry a....
                  Tinker tailor soldier sailor rich man poor man beggar man thief
                  This year next year some time never
                  where shall we live.....
                  House mansion pig sty castle

which ever you stopped on, was your answer.

Think some people would say tinker tailor soldier spy.
                  At one point there were school dinner plate colour blue pyrex style glass bowls sold for home use with indentations around the edge next to the rhyme to put your stones in.
                  Does anyone else crack the stones and eat the middle?
                  One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

I hated school dinners at the infants and junior schools but they were great at secondary school.

We had a canteen system, so basically, the more money you had to spend, the more dinner you could have. I remember a portion of chips was 15 pence, beans 6 pence, surfburger 25 pence, pudding 10 pence and a glass of milk was 6 pence.

The thing I will never, ever forget about school dinners is the wonderful Manchester Tart they used to make. If this was on the menu, I would simply buy 5 or 6 puddings and skip the main course altogether - I loved it so much.

I have tried Manchester Tart since school from various outlets but none of them came anywhere near as nice as the ones I had at school - even my mam baked me one but sadly it was way inferior to the school one. I wish I could have my school days back simply for the Manchester tart, lol. Oh yeah, and all the nice girlfriends I had (but thats another story )
                    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

• Re: School dinners

I used to like school dinners,especially the desserts.Bread pudding was always good and xmas pud with coins inside it.It's a wonder no teeth were ever broken or that nobody ever choked.
                      I really missed them when my family moved to Australia as they don't have them here.

Comment

I remember having a sloppy pink raspberry type fizzy jelly dessert in infants school which I thought was called 'Janice'!!! I dont know why I thought that but I came home from school and my mum asked what I had had for dinner and I replied 'Janice'. haha

Comment

school dinners for me where pretty good.
                          at one of my schools they had a very good chef making the dinners.

primary and secondary school i went to my aunts house for dinner.

at my last school i got dinners there.
                          deserts where a bit git and miss though.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Our dinners at infant school were really nice. The mince and onion pie sticks in my mind as being really nice. We also used to get squares of jelly with a swirl of fake cream on top. I loved the fake cream!
                            Our junior school was only very small and didn't have its own kitchen so the food was brought to us in big metal tins from somewhere else. They were nice sometimes but most of the time they were really bad! Although the marble sponge with white custard was lovely!!
                            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

My first junior school was the same, food brought in inside big metal tureens. The school itself wasn't big enough either for dinners so we had to walk down the road to a hall to eat.

Comment

As a former Londoner, I find the idea of a small school difficult to imagine. My primary school was huge - about 300 kids in the Infants and 400 in the Juniors - taking into account that we were the last of the baby boomers so schools in those days were crammed with more kids than they were designed for.

The canteen (or 'dining room', as the staff insisted on calling it) wasn't big enough for all of us so dinner was arranged in two shifts. One half of the school would go out to play while the other half ate, and then we swapped round. There were two dining rooms, one for the Infants and one for the Juniors.

What about the food? We all thought it was disgusting - if you liked it you kept quiet about it - it might ruin your reputation. I remember reading once that rule applies to prison food as well. A researcher asking a group of prisoners what they thought of the food was told it was revolting, but when he interviewed them individually, most of them said it wasn't too bad. My own private judgement was that it was tolerable, but I rarely cleared my plate. A typical meal would be sausages, meat pie or watery minced beef with mash and two veg, followed by tart or sponge with custard. The one desert I disliked was the suet pudding.
                                The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Working...
                                X