School sports/PE/Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School sports/PE/Games

I think it was about an hour. They would hang around for about 45 mins then onto the field for a 10 min kickaround. As for sports, football and general running around were as varied as it got. This would have been around 1945 and the establishment was a normal secondary school just for boys. I think this would have been prior to secondary moderns, but I am not sure.

Comment

Just checked...Secondary Moderns were introduced in 1944, but I think my dad's was just a secondary school--kids left school at 14 back then, so I think he would have probably left before it converted.

Comment

I remember having mixed feelings about compulsory sport at school especially as it was every single day, except for Wednesday afternoon when we had Corps. Often I thought I would rather be sitting around being lazy. Many of my mates gave it up in the final two years but I was in a House team for Rugger and eventually played for the school as well and so was told that I pretty much had to carry on! I developed an extreme tolerance of cold because of it. Sport was considered more important than academic achievement at my school and part of 'character building' (!). Looking back I think it did me a lot of good and gave me skills that I wouldn't have had otherwise as well as a lot of exercise and a few hard knocks. For my sins I continued to play at university.

Comment

Another aspect of this is that I followed the opposite of the usual pattern, which was to slack off a bit on sport or virtually give it up in the sixth form (16-18). Before my O Levels, I did sport because it was compulsory and expected of me and because I was selected for teams. In the sixth form, by contrast, I played it with enthusiasm and great enjoyment.

Comment

We had "games" once a week - usually Fridays, IIRC...

We also had PE once a week, on a different day.
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

So in the end compulsory sport was a good thing for you looking back on those days.

i can see how it was considered character
              building playing in a team game.

you must have got to like rugby as you played it
              at uni.

Originally posted by silver bear View Post
              i remember having mixed feelings about compulsory sport at school especially as it was every single day, except for wednesday afternoon when we had corps. Often i thought i would rather be sitting around being lazy. Many of my mates gave it up in the final two years but i was in a house team for rugger and eventually played for the school as well and so was told that i pretty much had to carry on! I developed an extreme tolerance of cold because of it. Sport was considered more important than academic achievement at my school and part of 'character building' (!). Looking back i think it did me a lot of good and gave me skills that i wouldn't have had otherwise as well as a lot of exercise and a few hard knocks. For my sins i continued to play at university.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                So in the end compulsory sport was a good thing for you looking back on those days.

i can see how it was considered character
                building playing in a team game.

you must have got to like rugby as you played it
                at uni.
                Yes, it was a very good thing for me and I really think I derived benefit from it. I got very into Rugger in my last two years at school leading up to A Levels (although I’d played for the House for years before that). I think getting into it in the 6th form was what made me go on with it at university.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post

I had sport of some kind every afternoon at school. PE was one double lesson a week but we didn’t have it in the 6th form.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
                    I had sport of some kind every afternoon at school. PE was one double lesson a week but we didn’t have it in the 6th form.
                    We had Double in the 6th Fortm Silver bear

Though the best thing for mne about Sports was running my own Footy Team years later, based out of desperation and sorrow I was always picked last - so something good came from School sports for me lol

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                      We had Double in the 6th Fortm Silver bear

Though the best thing for mne about Sports was running my own Footy Team years later, based out of desperation and sorrow I was always picked last - so something good came from School sports for me lol

80sChav
                      I’d like to have played more Footy. My school was extremely Rugger oriented. In my sports-mad 6th Form years I played a bit of 5-a-side Football in the school holidays.

Comment

I’d like to have played more Footy. My school was extremely Rugger oriented. In my sports-mad 6th Form years I played a bit of 5-a-side Football in the school holidays.
                        Me too on both l;evels and I still would if I went back to College

As though I am no Spring Chick I can do an half an Hour at Footy!!

80sChav

Comment

Me too on both l;evels and I still would if I went back to College

As though I am no Spring Chick I can do an half an Hour at Footy!!

80sChav
                          Really agree and you make me want to go back to college!
                          (I’ve got a pm ready for you but you’ve exceeded your quota!)

Comment

Really agree and you make me want to go back to college!
                            (I’ve got a pm ready for you but you’ve exceeded your quota!)
                            You wanna - lots do Uni at our age

I havea ttended to the box too thanks mate

Comment

You wanna - lots do Uni at our age
                              I’m sure I’d get awarded a Master of Farts.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post

Once a week (or twice counting PE) seems a very small amount. In the sixth form especially I remember doing some form of sport every day except for Sunday, even if in some cases it was only practice and pep talks from our coaches. (There might actually have been a few Sunday practices as well.) Wednesday was Corps but that too involved exercise.

We didn’t refer to sport as “games” because there was a school slang word “eccer”, short for exercise which we always used.

Comment

Working...
                                X