swimming lessons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: swimming lessons

Some of my swimming lessons were in a very small pool (5 by 10 metres) which had cubicles round the edge.

I remember the floors were always wet so I was always careful not to drop anything on them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      Some of my swimming lessons were in a very small pool (5 by 10 metres) which had cubicles round the edge.

I remember the floors were always wet so I was always careful not to drop anything on them.
      Yeah , 50 odd years ago , we went to the local council baths which were standard sized but had the cubicles along the side of the pool with little curtains !!

Comment

The baths we used was, I think, a standard size. I can't remember any cubicles, just a room with benches and hooks for your clothes, one room for boys and one for girls. I don't remember seeing any lockers for the public to put their stuff in, but I suppose there must have been some there.

Comment

I REMEMBER MY LOCAL SWIMMING POOL HAVING CUBICLES WHEN WE WENT SWIMMING.
          PRETTY SURE THERE LOCKERS AS WELL.

WE HAD A SMALL POOL AND THEN A BIG POOL.

SMALL POOL WAS FOR LEARNING HOW TO SWIM I NEVER DID LEARN SO NEVER UPGRADED TO THE BIG ONE.:cry:

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          The baths we used was, I think, a standard size. I can't remember any cubicles, just a room with benches and hooks for your clothes, one room for boys and one for girls. I don't remember seeing any lockers for the public to put their stuff in, but I suppose there must have been some there.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I haven't visited a public swimming baths in decades but that smell particular to such places is still so fresh in my mind, and as soon as you entered the building that smell was there.

Comment

oh yes that smell cant think of the name of it.

One thing i didnt like was getting the water in my nose when trying to swim.

Made ones nose funny.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              i haven't visited a public swimming baths in decades but that smell particular to such places is still so fresh in my mind, and as soon as you entered the building that smell was there.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                oh yes that smell cant think of the name of it.

One thing i didnt like was getting the water in my nose when trying to swim.

Made ones nose funny.
                That would be the chlorine, I also remember getting water up my nose & it really stinging.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes thats right chlorine and it does sting.

Sadly i never did learn to swim.

Once or twice i nearly drowned.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                  that would be the chlorine, i also remember getting water up my nose & it really stinging.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    Yes thats right chlorine and it does sting.

Sadly i never did learn to swim.

Once or twice i nearly drowned.
                    That's a pretty decent reason to LEARN surely ?

Comment

You would think so but its why it put me off.
                      althou it was my teacher teaching me not a proper swimming instructor.
                      Mr abraham was his name.

Originally posted by zincubus View Post
                      that's a pretty decent reason to learn surely ?

Comment

That chlorine smell hit you as soon as you went in the building. I haven't been to a swimming baths for decades but in my mind that smell is there as soon as I think about swimming. lessons

Comment

I had swimming lessons that involved having to dive into the deep end of a swimming pool with clothes on and recover a brick from the bottom. Why? Just in case I have to recover my car keys from the bottom of a river in the future?

Comment

The character Gerald (the old guy) on The Full Monty reminded me of when, like him, I got rather excited with all the bikini clad girls around me. Like Gerald I jumped into the deep end to spare my embarrassing predicament lol
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Here's a gross fact for you, we had a new swimming pool open up and one of my mates is a lifeguard, I noticed the pool was lacking the usual strong smell of Chlorine
                              and commented on it to him, his reply although making sense sent a shudder down my spine
                              "the strong smell of chlorine is usually caused by contaminants in the water

i.e. sweat and Pee :O
                              DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Very odd maybe it was to see if you could hod your breath or something.
                                Ive never heard of that bef
                                ore in a swimming lesson.

Originally posted by arran View Post
                                i had swimming lessons that involved having to dive into the deep end of a swimming pool with clothes on and recover a brick from the bottom. Why? Just in case i have to recover my car keys from the bottom of a river in the future?

Comment

Working...
                                X