Dramatic events at school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dramatic events at school

I remember our teacher jumping out of the window to acost a trespasser on the roof in primary school.

Our secondary school had a reputation of being rough but when you got their the reality was different, then again in the late 70's nobody stole cars, drugs were unheard of in school and shock horror THREE girls in our year fell pregnant (it's 3 per class these days isn't it?). One of the girls lost her youngest aged 16 a few years back in a shooting which was big news locally. The only incidents I can recall as being dramatic were when some pupils got bored and went on strike. Quite boring really.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

My high school was considered rough, but again not by today's standards. Generally people could be wild, but most people still seemed to have some level of respect for the teachers.

I do remember one incident when the whole school was in morning assembly and there was a girl who had been off for ages. She was right off the rails and suddenly appeared through the door at the front of the hall, either drunk or on drugs. She staggered over to the headmaster who was standing at the front and shouted "alright sir!" then wobbled her way up to the upstairs seats with a big grin on her face before sitting down like nothing was wrong. You could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was shocked.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

When I was in primary school, I think it must have been in a music lesson, we were all stood up in rows and the teacher was apparently (I hadn't been in the school long) one of those joker kinds, he started telling us what to do/sing or whatever but he suddenly just grabbed his chest and fell to the floor! All I remember is everyone laughing at him!!! I didn't know why but they thought he was joking around but after a few moments, we realised this wasn't a joke and someone just ran and got another teacher, he'd obviously had a heart attack and everyone was just laughing at him! It was awful, I think he was ok but that I'll never forget that.....

In high school, we were doing trampoling, this one girl got up, started jumping up and down, tried to do this special move and she must have slipped, she hit the trampoline with force and started screaming and crying! She'd broken her arm! Whether she'd hit the hard part of the trampoline I don't know but it didn't half look painful!

Another time in high school, my then boyfriend (M) had this massive argument with one of the teachers, the teacher took him outside of the mobile (we had a school and also several mobiles we had lessons in outside) and they continued to argue about something, I'm pretty sure the teacher poked M or something so he pushed the teacher into the mobile and somehow managed to shove his own elbow through the mobile's window! It was basically this huge bust up, M then got suspended, surprised he wasn't expelled! but people talked about it for ages after!! Everyone knew M had a temper, maybe the teacher played on it...dunno...mad lol

Comment

The worst to happen that I can remember was in the school grounds, there was a horse chestnut tree, a pupil climbed up for the conkers only to fall down when he was nearly to the top, he was very badly injured and it took the ambulance men a long time to stabalise him before they could move him into the ambulance!.
          He was never seen at school again, so I often wondered how he got on!...

The funniest was my headmistress, she always wore dark suits and always look quite sombre!.
          One day as she was walking down the steps of the stage, she slipped and fell, showing a bright pink pair of bloomers, the whole assembly erupted in laughter and she didn't know where to put her face!.

Comment

I'm remembering them all now...a rather over-enthusiastic teacher once smashed the glass bit on a overhead projector (the old type for acetates) by thumping his hand down on it. The same one once rolled in on a skateboard. He was nuts. Infact there was him and his two cronies all in one department and they were the scariest teachers I mean everyone was TERRIFIED of them because they were totally strict and and always shouting and bawling and throwing things but also completely unhinged and hilarious at times. That said, their department always got the best results in the school. They brought out the best in even the worst kids by fair means or foul. I've loads of respect for them now (though not at the time!)

Then there was the tree-stripping incident where someone pulled all the bark off one of the trees in the yard. Well you would have thought it was the end of the world as the teachers put the whole school on detention as nobody would own up to it. They said the poor tree was going to die a slow lingering death because we were so horrible. 25 years on and the tree is still there, blossoming like billyo. Tree wasn't bothered.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

One of our teachers died in a car crash when I was a sixth-former at school - when we were told it was awful, lots of tears - she was a really popular young teacher. It almost felt like one of the family had been lost. A dreadful time and I shall never forget that moment when we got the news.

I don't know whether I was just unfortunate or what but during my time at secondary school, we had two further deaths of teachers apart from the one previously mentioned. They were both much older male teachers probably very close to retirement although that doesn't make it any easier, of course.

Comment

one of my freinds died in school he had special needs he died of i remember he was tube feed but i remember he was in hostpitel for a long time then sadly he passed away that night.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

In elementary school a helicopter crashed nearby killing the pilot. One of the kids in my class happened to glance out the window and saw it go down. Interestingly enough the helicopter crashed right in front of another school that was a block away. Then in high school somebody chopped down the tree on the senior lawn in front of the gym. Also in high school in my electric shop class one of the guys had found a .38 caliber round on the way to school so he carefully removed the bullet, stuck the cartridge in a vise and hit the primer with a hammer and screwdriver! And of course, as expected, it went off with a loud bang. Incredibly, no one (including the teacher) called the police. Today it would surely summon the SWAT team and bomb squad!

The one other dramatic incident that I can recall was some guys went streaking in the quad one day during lunch.

Comment

Vandals broke into the playground over night and graffitied swear words all over it, so the school was shut the next day lol. We had an assembly about how awful it was, but I think everyone was just happy to have the day off! The other, very major thing was half our school got burnt down! I hadn't been there long so don't remember it very well.

Comment

I remember my primary school was broken into, & we all had to spend some of the next morning in assembly being told about it.

I'm not sure what if anything was stolen.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

One of our older teachers collapsed and had a fit while refereeing a football match I was playing in.........he never came back to school and ended up in a nursing home shortly afterwards.

Comment

1985-junior prep school-I think the most dramatic thing I ever saw as a child schoolwise was when Jane, an older girl of about 15-17 was knocked down by a tan coloured Mini Metro. We were stood at the bus stop directly across the road. I remember girls laughing and chatting away and I'm not as sure of the moment before it took place but perhaps Jane was in the road larking about, it was home time...the next thing I remember was the noise, seeing her on the floor ahead to the right of me in a heap. Silence. My abiding memories of it are of one of her brown shoes in the road, the Metro stopped momentarily and then sped off. Jane recovered and came back a few months later but she had a horrible big bruised scab on one of her cheeks from the accident...I'm sure after that it became like a port wine stain type mark...

1987, prep school-boy had an epileptic fit right in front of me during rehearsals for the Xmas play....I got the teacher, some other git took credit for it......During the same year, a boy called 'Willicox' (nickname) decided to whip Mr English, who was actually Irish, with his shoe lace...the boys in his class were jeering for him lol...then once he'd been calmed down, he then decided to pack his stuff in his bag, sling it over his shoulder and saying 'Bye Sir' decided to leave school for the day without permission-it was about 11 in the morning! Mr English promptly chased after him and Willicox even got as far as the traffic island, at this point I must add I was recounted the story, but my Mum happened to be coming into school to pick me up early or drop something off I'd forgotten and saw the teacher chasing this kid down shouting 'CATCH HIM! CATCH HIM!' My Mum promptly did, scaring the little bugger (she was good at that) and grabbing the little oik...Mr English ran up to her out of breath and grabbed the kid by the arm and took him back...Of course, Mr English took credit for catching him...typical. My Mum didn't half find it funny though...she couldn't stop laughing telling us about it though...

There was also the time 'Elmo' (Mr Worrell) our IT teacher (we called him Elmo after Elmo Putney in Brush Strokes) as he looked like him after an apparent car crash and burns nearly had a nervous break down when someone in my class stole his diary and read it....

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                            One of our older teachers collapsed and had a fit while refereeing a football match I was playing in.........he never came back to school and ended up in a nursing home shortly afterwards.
                            I remember hearing about one of our primary school teachers collapsing in class. It was only a faint but I was quite young and didn't really understand and got really scared whenever we had classes with her, thinking she was going to keel over.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

One of the most traumatic events for me was when my friend fell over doing wheelbarrow in the playground, bashed her chin and had her teeth go through her top lip. It wasn't the accident itself but what she looked like afterwards. She was off for ages and her lip got all infected and swollen. When she came back she looked like something out of a Stephen King novel full of big brown scabs and pus and swelling and we were too frightened to look at her poor soul.

Also remember a kid who I didn't know getting run over and killed and it was announced in assembly but at that young age the enormity of such events doesn't hit home at all. I though "Oh dear, oh well..." and it's all forgotten about by the end of the day.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Trickyvee's last post reminded me of Christmas Day, 1981, or 83 I think...We were in the basement of our big terraced house back then, I remember Mum, Sister and I gathered by the basement side doorway hall and Dad came back in looking awful-well, the expression on his face looked shocked. Mum asked him what had happened...I recall they both became very upset but never told us what had happened...Years later I asked my parents about those events and the bits I remembered well and it turned out my parents heard this awful noise outside, it was Xmas Day and the streets are always extremely quiet and empty so Dad went out to look...the little girl who lived down the road had been given a brand new bicycle for Christmas and on her first ride outside a car hit her and ran her over. Dad said he could see the mangled bike on the ground with one wheel slowly still spinning, the driver out of his car stood in shock and the little girl was dead. She was about 4 or 6 at the time...Her parents moved away a while later. I vaguely remember the little girl, she had blonde long hair and in the hot summers she'd turn all pinkish...I remember seeing her and her Mum walking down the street even...So, its not a 'school' event but one I remember well....will never forget the expression on Dads face neither. It also became one of the major reasons Mum and Dad never let us ride bikes outside the main road without supervision.

Comment

Working...
                                X