school milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school milk

One of my earliest memories of school milk is seeing the 1/3 pint bottles totally frozen up in one particularly bad winter. Often wonder how they de-iced them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
      In England:

Infant school is reception class to Y2
      Junior school is Y3 to Y6
      Primary school is reception class to Y6

Separate infant and junior schools are uncommon nowadays but they still exist.

You got it Arran I remember now
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        The straws were always blue and very thin at my primary school. I would have preferred thicker bendy straws like they use nowadays with the cartons. Kids weren't allowed to swig the milk directly out of the bottle and had to use a straw. The school had hole punchers for the straws that looked like a large plastic bottlecap with a spike on the inside.
        We always had the thin blue straws too. No hole punchers though. Used to just pierce the lid with the straw.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember the blue straws were cut at an angle at one end to poke through the lids better.

One of my friends accidently stabbed me in the face with one, it hurt a lot but didn't do any damage.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I can't recall any frozen milk at primary school but there would be almost no chance of that happening because it was delivered about an hour before morning break and taken inside. It was always lovely and fresh and creamy. Milk was free in nursery but almost every KS1 kid used to drink it when their parents had to pay for it each term.

Comment

I remember it being frozen on top on occasion and the crate being left by the radiators for it to thaw, but then it would get to room temp and there'd be that yucky smell. I can see how so many kids were put off milk. Luckily I never was.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

The only time I remember the milk being at room temp was a few days in Y2 when my class had a swimming lesson in the morning and didn't return to school until lunch time. The milk was then served late in the afternoon by which time it was warm and tasted gross. There was an Indian kid who could drink warm milk because he was used to drinking milk fresh out of a cow so he always ended up having 3 or 4 bottles that day from other kids who hated warm milk. He couldn't stand semi-skimmed.

Comment

I've often heard that many schools didn't have a fridge bit enough to keep all the milk in, so it just had to hang around until it was served, which meant in the summer it was turning into cottage cheese.

I never remember having a problem with how fresh it was, so my schools must have been able to store it chilled or it was delivered only shortly before.

Comment

I sure remember during the summer that the school milk i got was very cold.
                    It near give me a sore head.:d

and remember we got milk everyday which makes it more amazing.
                    Man we where so lucky.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                    i've often heard that many schools didn't have a fridge bit enough to keep all the milk in, so it just had to hang around until it was served, which meant in the summer it was turning into cottage cheese.

I never remember having a problem with how fresh it was, so my schools must have been able to store it chilled or it was delivered only shortly before.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Ours was never refrigerated. It got delivered and left outside then the monitors would go and collect it for the class. It was always reasonably cold thanks to our weather but sometimes a bit warm in summer when it had been hanging around enough. Never to the point of actually going off though.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Our milk in primary school was left outside the classroom in plastic crates

Comment

Not for too long tho or it would go off.

I was amazed how cold it was like it had been kept in arctic conditions..

SOMETIMES IT HAD A NICE CREAMY TASTE YUM.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                          our milk in primary school was left outside the classroom in plastic crates
                          Last edited by darren; 09-08-2015, 21:59.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

There seems to be a craze at the moment for glass school milk bottles for flower vases or at parties and countless places sell reproductions at high prices. I amassed a collection of milk bottles from my primary school to drink out of at home and comparisons with reproduction bottles reveals that none of them are identical to the real thing so they can't be being manufactured with the same tooling.

Comment

There's a shop in Manhester which sells pint bottles with the bottoms removed as lampshades.

Comment

Fantastic colour footage here although it's from the 1960s.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-...tivities-1966/

Comment

Working...
                                X