FA Cup Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FA Cup Finals

[QUOT E=zabadak;199203]How did that work out for ya???

The first final I remember was the 1971 one when the **** did the double. Sadly, as a Chelsea supporter (Not the face! Not the face!), I don't recall the previous year's bloodbath... [/QUOTE]
    Funnily enough the 1970 final was the first match that really got my attention ... I was in the last year of primary school and half the school went white and half went blue .... So as Blue was my fave colour I chose Chelsea ..and I've disliked Leeds United ever since .
    To this day I have no idea as to why the whole school playground got so involved with two fairly distant teams . We were in Manchester .

Comment

Don't mention PSG!!!
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        Don't mention PSG!!!
        I was hoping PSG would win last night , I've always loved Ibra

I've supported FC Barcelona since my hero J .Cruyff joined them in 1973 !!!!

Comment

My first F.A. Cup final memory is the 1970 Chelsea vs Leeds United game and replay. Hard matches with no quarter asked nor given.

In the 70s and 80s there would be a gradual build-up of national excitement. Remember that back then the F.A. Cup final was one of a very few live matches shown on TV each season. I remember on the friday night before the final, ITV would screen 'Who'll win the Cup' after News at Ten, when pundits would discuss the forthcoming game. BBC would also have an 'It's a Knockout' special featuring teams from the towns/cities represented in that years final. For some reason Eric Morcombe always seemed to turn up on ITV during the build-up. By kick-off, excitement was at fever pitch. I was glued to the match, but started to get worried around 4.30pm if it was still a draw, because if a team didn't win in normal time, extra-time would be played and the BBC would then often cancel Dr. Who.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
            My first F.A. Cup final memory is the 1970 Chelsea vs Leeds United game and replay. Hard matches with no quarter asked nor given.

In the 70s and 80s there would be a gradual build-up of national excitement. Remember that back then the F.A. Cup final was one of a very few live matches shown on TV each season. I remember on the friday night before the final, ITV would screen 'Who'll win the Cup' after News at Ten, when pundits would discuss the forthcoming game. BBC would also have an 'It's a Knockout' special featuring teams from the towns/cities represented in that years final. For some reason Eric Morcombe always seemed to turn up on ITV during the build-up. By kick-off, excitement was at fever pitch. I was glued to the match, but started to get worried around 4.30pm if it was still a draw, because if a team didn't win in normal time, extra-time would be played and the BBC would then often cancel Dr. Who.
            We seem to share the first FA cup memory

Comment

The 1970 final and replay were games that went down in legend as being rough affairs, and deservedly so. The ref was also rather generous in not dishing out cards, though to be fair more contact was expected and tolerated back then. I think the attitude was 'If you can't take a few kicks then you shouldn't be playing.' It truly was a different game back then.

Comment

The 1970 final and replay were games that went down in legend as being rough affairs, and deservedly so. The ref was also rather generous in not dishing out cards, though to be fair more contact was expected and tolerated back then. I think the attitude was 'If you can't take a few kicks then you shouldn't be playing.' It truly was a different game back then.
                I saw an article where three of our top referees - watched the game and applied today's rules and guidelines ....

Result was 17 sent off ( including the Leeds keeper ) !!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                  I saw an article where three of our top referees - watched the game and applied today's rules and guidelines ....

Result was 17 sent off ( including the Leeds keeper ) !!
                  I remember my Uncle mentioned something like that a few years ago.

He played a bit of Sunday league football in the late 1970s - early 80s & the refs had tightened by then, but things could still get rough.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

lol I think I read that article as well. But back then I don't remember the amount of diving, simulation, cheating etc that the game has today. Yes, it went on, but not to the extent that it does now.

I used to catch the occasional sunday league game at our local park in the 70s and they could be rough affairs. Heck, I remember once during a school game one player being sent off by the teacher. That was just a game played during lessons with nothing riding on the outcome.

Comment

lol I think I read that article as well. But back then I don't remember the amount of diving, simulation, cheating etc that the game has today. Yes, it went on, but not to the extent that it does now.

I used to catch the occasional sunday league game at our local park in the 70s and they could be rough affairs. Heck, I remember once during a school game one player being sent off by the teacher. That was just a game played during lessons with nothing riding on the outcome.
                      I recall those games in the 70's when defenders were ALLOWED on reckless tackle from behind on a forward or winger

Comment

In the 70s there was much more contact allowed. If a player was sent off then he really had done something nasty.

Comment

In the 70s there was much more contact allowed. If a player was sent off then he really had done something nasty.
                          I also seem to recall that they only played 11 players in a game and I no substitutes. !?

Is that correct ?? Seems amazing but it sticks in my mind for some reason. ...

Comment

For English leagues:

before 1965 no subs
                            1965-67 1 sub for injured player
                            1967 1 sub for any reason
                            1988 2 subs
                            1994 2 subs + 1 injured goalie
                            1995 3 subs

I think friendly internationals allow 6? subs, but I have seen several where more than that were substituted so maybe rules can be relaxed under some circumstances.

Comment

FA Cup Finals

For English leagues:

before 1965 no subs
                              1965-67 1 sub for injured player
                              1967 1 sub for any reason
                              1988 2 subs
                              1994 2 subs + 1 injured goalie
                              1995 3 subs

I think friendly internationals allow 6? subs, but I have seen several where more than that were substituted so maybe rules can be relaxed under some circumstances.
                              Didn't Aston Villa win the league ( and Champions league) one season using just 12 or 13 players in the whole season ????
                              Last edited by Zincubus; 29-03-2016, 22:44. Reason: ed

Comment

Not really sure about that. I think their only European Cup success was in the 1981-82 season, though they did win the Super Cup the same year plus a couple of Intertoto Cups.

Comment

Working...
                                X