First computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: First computer

I remember my dad had a Grandstand computer with that ultra-basic version of ping pong on it. Then ironically my first computer was called My First Computer. It had programs like hangman and stuff. http://www.lastofvintage.com/catalog...2011%20(7).jpg
    But then i got a Commodore 64 which i still love - i play emulations of it now. Retro classic!!

Comment

you can buy thousands of games for the C64 on cd for practically nothing!!

Comment

Well, firstly my dad had an orange Binatone, withe several sports variations on Pong.
        Then he got a Phillipps Videopac+ G7400 with a few games, I mainly remember a skiing game.
        Then I got a CBS Colecovision from my cousin, the most played games were Smurf, Donkey Kong & Cosmic Avenger.
        However, those are all consoles, so.....
        My first actual computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum+, the 48K one with the hard keys.
        I was quite underwhelmed at first, due to the dodgy selection of games that came with the computer.
        However, I soon found some amazing games in my local independent software shop.
        Once I discovered the joys of Jet Set Willy there was no going back.
        These days I rarely play new games on the PC, even though it is a megapowered beast I use it to play all the old classics via emulation.
        I also have a modified arcade cabinet running various arcade game emulators, that gets some play.
        However, if I still had that old orange Binatone I reckon I could happily play on that for an hour or two.
        Might have to hunt one down now I think of it !

Comment

Fantastic is jsw i have it for my speccy.
          speccy had around 15 hundred games.

you can still buy these old consoles mate.

check the link..
          http://youtu.be/800V_M1yW9g

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
          Well, firstly my dad had an orange Binatone, withe several sports variations on Pong.
          Then he got a Phillipps Videopac+ G7400 with a few games, I mainly remember a skiing game.
          Then I got a CBS Colecovision from my cousin, the most played games were Smurf, Donkey Kong & Cosmic Avenger.
          However, those are all consoles, so.....
          My first actual computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum+, the 48K one with the hard keys.
          I was quite underwhelmed at first, due to the dodgy selection of games that came with the computer.
          However, I soon found some amazing games in my local independent software shop.
          Once I discovered the joys of Jet Set Willy there was no going back.
          These days I rarely play new games on the PC, even though it is a megapowered beast I use it to play all the old classics via emulation.
          I also have a modified arcade cabinet running various arcade game emulators, that gets some play.
          However, if I still had that old orange Binatone I reckon I could happily play on that for an hour or two.
          Might have to hunt one down now I think of it !
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Elmo View Post
            I had a ZX81 first, the black one with membrane keyboard. Then I moved onto a Vic 20. I still have this and it works !! Tape deck, 16K memory cartridge etc.. Classic
            That was my route too.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              you can still buy these old consoles mate.
              I still have them Darren, i've never chucked out or sold one in my life.
              Unfortunately the Binatone & Videopac were thrown out by my dad when I was still a nipper.
              I have 20+ consoles & various computers.
              I agree that playing a game on it's original format is best, but it's difficult to connect old consoles to new TVs.
              My main PC is hooked up to my 50 inch plasma TV, so I get to play Manic Miner with a clean display (no rf outputs, hdmi all the way) on a massive screen via emulation.
              Do you still play on your Spectrum Darren ?

Comment

Wow that is very impressive.
                i assume you mean not all your consoles are games consoles mate.

i have a very old tv only one button on the front and its easy enough connecting my older consoles snes,speccy,c64 etc to it.
                have not my speccy in a long time although my snes pal version gets regular workouts.
                there is just a retro feel to playing these games hearing them load as the commodre speccy ones do takenear 10 mins to load some do.

my first console way back was the speccy the rubber keyed one.
                beautiful machine.
                here it is.
                http://youtu.be/YRQMfXYq9E8

im glad you have not got rid of any of them mate.

I still have them Darren, i've never chucked out or sold one in my life.
                Unfortunately the Binatone & Videopac were thrown out by my dad when I was still a nipper.
                I have 20+ consoles & various computers.
                I agree that playing a game on it's original format is best, but it's difficult to connect old consoles to new TVs.
                My main PC is hooked up to my 50 inch plasma TV, so I get to play Manic Miner with a clean display (no rf outputs, hdmi all the way) on a massive screen via emulation.
                Do you still play on your Spectrum Darren ?
                Last edited by darren; 06-09-2012, 14:23.

Comment

Manic miner best game on speccy i dont use the consoles no more ive downloaded a emultor for my ds and can play and classic console game from xz81 to snes its mad playing these games on a hand held console but trying to complete them now ..... Goshhhhhhhh how hard are these games lol
                  THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

The first computer I ever had was an Atari 800XL.
                    My Auntie bought one, then my dad, he would make games and put them onto cassettes, I would then play them.
                    Like Mr Dig, and Santa's Grotto.
                    I also remember having a try at making a game copying the codes from a book. All went well, took ages though typing it all in, but then when I pressed for the game to come on all I got was 'error', so I had to check each line again, eventually finding I had put a dot instead of a comma on one line...When I pressed again, voila it came on.

The annoying part I remember was the loading up of the games to start to play, only when it got near to the end of loading up, a message sometimes came on with 'boot error'..

Comment

Originally posted by remember View Post
                      Mine was a ZX Spectrum 48k with a separate tape unit and those wonderful rubbery keys!
                      My first ever computer was a 16K Spectrum. I think I had the memory upgraded to a 48K after leaving school, then when it stopped working I bought a second-hand 128K Spectrum. I learned programming in BASIC pretty well but could never quite pick up machine code, which most games were written in.
                      The most difficult game I ever bought for it was called 'The Thinker'. The object of it was to move a red block out through a whole lot of other blocks. I could never quite figure out how to do it & then the Spectrum just got knackered & so I took my whole collection of games down to a charity shop.
                      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                        Manic miner best game on speccy
                        I used to have that one. Has anybody ever heard of 'Molar Maul', the object of which was to clean a set of teeth in time to prevent them going rotten?
                        "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

hard to argue about it being very hard both it and jet set willy and jetset willy 2where amazingly tough.
                          never got close to winning them.

but yes it was either the speccy or vic 20 was my first cant seem to remember.

`
                          Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                          Manic miner best game on speccy i dont use the consoles no more ive downloaded a emultor for my ds and can play and classic console game from xz81 to snes its mad playing these games on a hand held console but trying to complete them now ..... Goshhhhhhhh how hard are these games lol

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            both it and jet set willy and jetset willy 2where amazingly tough.
                            In fact, the first Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum was impossible to complete, there was a bug in the program which meant that one object that couldn't be retrieved without cheating with a poke.
                            I had no idea at the time and was gutted when I found out, when JSW2 came out I stopped playing the original, however, I never completed the sequel either.
                            I still have a bash these days, but via emulation.

Comment

my first computer was the good old Commodore 64, the "C" model to be exact (with a cartridge slot in the back)

so many great gaming hours with this machine, waiting for tapes to load was so rewarding back then lol, i got mine xmas 1992, and it was the Terminator 2 bundle, with T2 being on a cartridge, unfortunately it was the only game i could play until i got a data recorder (tape deck), wasn't really a bad thing though cos it was a hard game but i ended up getting so good at it and was able to complete it which i was very chuffed at.

my aunties had given me tape games for xmas though, and i was annoyed cos i couldn't play them, and being a kid you had to rely on your parents buying you everything so i had to keep asking to get the data recorder lol. finally did though and everything was ace, so many great hours playing things like Dizzy and the Seymour games.

Comment

wow i never knew that the first jsw had a bug that meant u could not get every item without cheating with a poke.
                                was this intentionally done though.
                                ive learned something new.

the 2nd one had a cheat you could do you entered in some code on the white screen before you loaded the game.
                                it give u infinite lives.
                                thing is if u got caught the wrong way in the game you kept dying but at the same time u could not move so had to start the game again.
                                but yes my first games console im pretty sure was the spectrum the rubber keyed one.
                                great little machine.

In fact, the first Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum was impossible to complete, there was a bug in the program which meant that one object that couldn't be retrieved without cheating with a poke.
                                I had no idea at the time and was gutted when I found out, when JSW2 came out I stopped playing the original, however, I never completed the sequel either.
                                I still have a bash these days, but via emulation.
                                Last edited by darren; 02-12-2012, 03:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X