Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: First computer

Originally posted by darren View Post
    wow i never knew that the first jsw had a bug that meant u could not get every item without cheating with a poke.
    was this intentionally done though.
    No, it was a bug in the program,
    The programmer Matthew Smith didn't realise this until after the games release.

Comment

I think they should make PC's or laptops without a monitor so you had to plug them into a television. That would bring down the price so they'd sell more of them then.
      "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

Wha a good idea i go with you on tha mate mind u most things now ya can plug in ya telly
        so why not lol

Originally posted by philipdalton View Post
        i think they should make pc's or laptops without a monitor so you had to plug them into a television. That would bring down the price so they'd sell more of them then.
        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

I dunno if this rings a bell with anyone, but I know for a fact that in the early 80's there was a home computer called the Jupiter Ace which had to be programmed in a language called FORTH. I never owned one myself, but does anyone remember anyone who did? Here's the Wiki article on it:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Ace
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

My first computer experience was joining the computer club at school to be part of a group building a ZX80 from kit.

I've got a scar on my inner forearm from a burn off its heat sink.

My own first machine was a second hand VIC-20 with a 16k RAM pack. I was a bit of a bedroom programmer and had several programs published in the magazines that printed listings. In fact, my VIC paid for my C64 which, in turn, paid for my first Amiga.

There was one kid in school with an Ace (he also had a Dragon 32) but he wasn't part of my circle so I don't remember much about it.
            There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.

Comment

I think they should make PC's or laptops without a monitor so you had to plug them into a television. That would bring down the price so they'd sell more of them then.
              You have been able to do that for years.But monitors still have the edge with graffics in my opinion.I use a vga convertor and plug my xbox in my pc lcd monitor too.
              sigpic

Comment

There's a higher resolution capability and better refresh rates on monitors. The difference is quite incredible going from a standard (current) tv set. It actually helps with certain types of games, you'll tend to do better on rhythm action stuff on a screen that has an excellent refresh rate.

Comment

I always remember my first computer, the Speccy, used to get very hot if you left it on for a long time. I wonder if it has ever been known for them to catch fire.

Comment

it got very hot indeed.

I had a n64 which caught fire there was a bit of it you needed to keep cool just in front of where the game sat.

it was a very warm day and i remember is starting to smoke a bit then on fire it went.

I always remember my first computer, the Speccy, used to get very hot if you left it on for a long time. I wonder if it has ever been known for them to catch fire.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We have computers in our home, and calculators in our pocket, thanks to the invention of the microprocessor in 1971. Before that the only folks with computers in their home were experts who could get hold of parts and build their own.
                      http://infostory.com/2010/09/16/the-...computer-1965/

Comment

There was an attempt to market a computer commercially in 1969, but no-one ever bought the thing. Its price, which at $10,600 included a two-week programming course to learn how to operate it, would work out at £96,200.32 in today's money. Some people will pay for that for a car, but when it comes to buying a computer, no way!!

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise...chen-computer/
                        Last edited by philipdalton; 28-06-2013, 16:52.

Comment

It amazes me how far computers have come. A friend of mine found some punch cards after clearing out a relatives home. It took us awhile to figure out what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                            It amazes me how far computers have come. A friend of mine found some punch cards after clearing out a relatives home. It took us awhile to figure out what they were.
                            Getting back to the eighties now, by 1984 it had been estimated that, if the same advances had been made in the automotive industry as had been made in the field of computer development, a Rolls-Royce would have cost only£2.75 and gone three million miles on one gallon of gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by danrak View Post
                              what was your first computer experience?
                              My earliest "hands on" experiences were circa 1977 with an Elliot 803 which my school had acquired. It had the typical modified Selectric terminal, complete with all the tape punches and similar peripherals for a 1960's system. I soon learned to enter machine-code directly in octal on that machine.

I also had access via the ubiquitous ASR33 teletype to the local DEC PDP-11/40 system, which is where I first started writing in BASIC under the then-common RSTS/E operating system. Going down to the college in town some evenings where the PDP-11 was located was something of a treat, since as well as about a dozen model-33 teletypes for users they had the luxury of a few video terminals. The school later acquired a Research Machines 380Z micro, a model which was sold widely to the educational establishment.

I was also fortunate in that the husband of one of the teachers at the school was a computer enthusiast, and had a homebrew system, on which I learned 6800 assembly. I remember at the time he had a couple of old DECwriters and his own design memory mapped video display. There was a small computer shop in town as well, where I could go on weekends to drool over the PET, TRS-80, Apple II, and other goodies, and play with the machines while talking with the guys that ran the place.

After a move, I discovered CP/M via the North Star Horizon machines at the local college, and spent many hours sitting at a Cifer terminal hooked up to one of those.

My first home micro was an Acorn Atom built from a kit, followed afterward by a BBC Model B which was very suitable for linking up with many of my electonics projects. After that it was the usual snowball effect as I acquired my own CP/M machines, then an IBM-PC compatible, etc.

Comment

We had an Atari 2600, but that was a console so I guess it doesn't count. Later I wanted a Commodore 64 for Christmas. My mum got me commodore 16. One day, I might forgive her...

Comment

Working...
                                X