My 1st handheld tv

Click image for larger version

Name:	tv80.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	260120

Comment

Re: Handheld tv's

I, too, was mesmerised by owning a Casio handheld TV. It cost around £80 from an independant retailler late in 1989. It ate batteries like there was no tomorrow. I put some cheapo AAs in it and they lasted less than 10 minutes, with Duracells lasting around 45 minutes. I still have mine, minus the mains adaptor, and now utterly useless.

Comment

Not quite a handheld but I also bought a combination portable radio/cassette player/TV from a workmate around 1993. I think it was an Amstrad and the TV was around 4" B/W CRT. It was much better than that Casio. It took those big batteries--C cell or D cell--so had a more useful battery life, even though it wasn't that long, and the picture was much better.

Comment

One other thing about the Casio I had was that I don't think it would store stations. There were 2 buttons to move up and down the band but nothing to store a station when it was found.

Comment

Hi this thread made me go and retrieve MY old portable TV.
            A Casio TV-5100 with TFT (active matrix) ;-)
            Two buttons, 3 x AA batteries, and i have the mains adapter - BIGGER than the tv :-)
            screen size 38mm x 30mm (1 1/2 x 1 1/4 inches)
            Great idea, but not used much 'cos signal was always an issue.
            Did use it for wimbledon games once - TINY ball, Sunny day.......not much to make out on that screen ;-)
            and watched World Cup games on train journey into work...I was made up when I watched a goal being scored, while others could only hear it being described.

And that was the sum use !!!
            I still have it in the hope that it will be useful for when the coronal mass ejection from the sun knocks out all other forms of communication.......that and my morse code crib sheet ;-)

Comment

oops....it was COLOUR too....
              and if anyone knows of a current use for it, then please let me know

Comment

YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE PICTURE RATHER WELL.

WHEEL OF FORTUNE I BELIEVE ITS SHOWING.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by DSCOMAN View Post
                  Hi this thread made me go and retrieve MY old portable TV.
                  A Casio TV-5100 with TFT (active matrix) ;-)
                  Two buttons, 3 x AA batteries, and i have the mains adapter - BIGGER than the tv :-)
                  screen size 38mm x 30mm (1 1/2 x 1 1/4 inches)
                  Great idea, but not used much 'cos signal was always an issue.
                  Did use it for wimbledon games once - TINY ball, Sunny day.......not much to make out on that screen ;-)
                  and watched World Cup games on train journey into work...I was made up when I watched a goal being scored, while others could only hear it being described.

And that was the sum use !!!
                  I still have it in the hope that it will be useful for when the coronal mass ejection from the sun knocks out all other forms of communication.......that and my morse code crib sheet ;-)
                  I bought 2 baby Piranhas , grew them on for a few months and then swapped them for a handheld Casio TV ( 3" screen )

Comment

They were way ahead way back in (Space) 1999!
                    Attached Files
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

BUTTONS ON THE TOP WHERE THEY FOR THE TV CHANNELS.
                      VERY CLEAR PICTURE TOO.

[Q

UOTE=zabadak;207289]

They were way ahead way back in (Space) 1999! [/QUOTE]

Comment

I hardly used mine without the mains adaptor as the battery life was so abysmal. The only time I can remember definitely using it outside of our house was in January 1991, just prior to the Gulf War, and I took it to work and listened to the ITN news announcing the UN vote authorising military action to liberate Kuwait.

Comment

Hard to believe you could watch tv using batteries.

A new set cant have lasted too long like a few hrs.

Im a bit surprised the picture was that good.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          i hardly used mine without the mains adaptor as the battery life was so abysmal. The only time i can remember definitely using it outside of our house was in january 1991, just prior to the gulf war, and i took it to work and listened to the itn news announcing the un vote authorising military action to liberate kuwait.

Comment

Darren, I would have jumped for joy if the batteries had lasted a few hours. I kid you not, mate, but I used to get probably about 30-45 mins out of a set of Duracells. I once put a set of bog standard batteries in the TV and they lasted less than 10 mins. Perhaps other models gave a better life on batteries but that Casio I had ate batteries like there was no tomorrow. It made using the thing without the mains adapter extremely difficult. The picture wasn't too bad for what it was. There was a long telescopic aerial which had to be extended to get a picture, plus there was a socket to connect an external aerial, so you could plug in your roof aerial if you had a suitable adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THE PICTURE RATHER WELL.

WHEEL OF FORTUNE I BELIEVE ITS SHOWING.

This is very nice Darren1 I can't/don't recall these kind of versions at all compared to the others shown in the thread!

I love this version - it is well cool!

80sChav

Comment

I was thinking around a half hour to 45 mins depending on the batteries and if the handheld tv model was a bit of a battery eater.

You probably had to move the aerial around to get a better picture or stand in a different place.

Cant ever remember seeing anyone with one myself.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                                darren, i would have jumped for joy if the batteries had lasted a few hours. I kid you not, mate, but i used to get probably about 30-45 mins out of a set of duracells. I once put a set of bog standard batteries in the tv and they lasted less than 10 mins. Perhaps other models gave a better life on batteries but that casio i had ate batteries like there was no tomorrow. it made using the thing without the mains adapter extremely difficult. The picture wasn't too bad for what it was. There was a long telescopic aerial which had to be extended to get a picture, plus there was a socket to connect an external aerial, so you could plug in your roof aerial if you had a suitable adapter.

Comment

Working...
                                X